Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
powersurge said:
I don't believe any projections of new charging stations until I see them. I know of chargepoint, which is the best, and EVGO, which is a ripoff....

I will belive it when I see it...

3.5 months since this comment, and the network is well underway. Do you believe it now?

It's wonderful to see how quickly they are rolling these out. IMO, they have a good chance of completing their current map by the end of next June. That's less than 11 months away. Talk about a game-changer for non-Tesla EVs!

GetOffYourGas said:
powersurge said:
I don't believe any projections of new charging stations until I see them. I know of chargepoint, which is the best, and EVGO, which is a ripoff....

I will belive it when I see it...

3.5 months since this comment, and the network is well underway. Do you believe it now?

It's wonderful to see how quickly they are rolling these out. IMO, they have a good chance of completing their current map by the end of next June. That's less than 11 months away. Talk about a game-changer for non-Tesla EVs!

what is well under way mean. Where can I see what has been done? The only thing on their website is about the event 3.5 months ago with the east coast charger installations. Is there a map like plug-share or something that can show what is installed? Better yet is there something like the supercharge.info map that shows installed as well as planned and under construction.

It should not be hard to find the information, but even when looking for it I've not found much evidence of installed chargers.

Please help me find them. There are several people who say they are getting installed, so I believe there is something...just hard to find it.

palmermd said:
what is well under way mean. Where can I see what has been done? The only thing on their website is about the event 3.5 months ago with the east coast charger installations. Is there a map like plug-share or something that can show what is installed? Better yet is there something like the supercharge.info map that shows installed as well as planned and under construction.

It should not be hard to find the information, but even when looking for it I've not found much evidence of installed chargers.

Please help me find them. There are several people who say they are getting installed, so I believe there is something...just hard to find it.
https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locations

GRA said:
palmermd said:

It's a map with some (8) dots, and (25) future. Nothing about what is there. 120v outlet or dcfc? How many filling stations at each dot?

For as much as the site talks about spreading information they are failing to spread their own message.

palmermd said:
GRA said:
palmermd said:

It's a map with some (8) dots, and (25) future. Nothing about what is there. 120v outlet or dcfc? How many filling stations at each dot?

For as much as the site talks about spreading information they are failing to spread their own message.

I agree that EA isn't doing much to spread their own message. However, if you really want info on what is installed, use PlugShare. You can filter for the EA network.

ynA7DT5.png

This is the current state. I call that "well under way" considering the first only opened 3 months ago.

Nice to see this underway.

All the opened sites seem have multiple (4, 6, 8) CCS and only 1 CHAdeMO. This will be a boom for the Bolt. Not so much for the 2019+ LEAF, unless Nissan gives up on CHAdeMO in the US.

palmermd said:
GRA said:
palmermd said:

Since I can't post pix, you will have to wade thru my trip blog. To help; It was Albany Oregon day two.

This is assuming pictures will be enough to convince you ;)

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2018/07/webasto-and-oregon-coast-or-i-fought.html

jlv said:

All the opened sites seem have multiple (4, 6, 8) CCS and only 1 CHAdeMO. This will be a boom for the Bolt. Not so much for the 2019+ LEAF, unless Nissan gives up on CHAdeMO in the US.

Yeah its complete BS. This is the "supposedly" unbiased network when in reality you could have ALL the stations used by CCS since the one chademo is NOT a chademo station, its a dual station so a VW could use that one as well.

Don't be surprised to pull into one of these complexes to see 3 unused CCS only stations with a Bolt or VW using the ONE combo station...

jlv said:

They will be a bigger help to BEVs like the i-Pace/e-Tron Quattro/Taycan/KIa-Hyundais that can handle higher charge currents than the Bolt (for now).

#9, Huntington, OR is open. Why now, I'm not sure, because it's out in the middle of nowhere all by its lonesome. Heyburn, ID 240 miles away is listed as coming soon, but it's not as if there's likely to be a lot of BEVs located in the area that can reach it either at the moment, and Albany, OR is 379 miles away by the shortest (non-Interstate) route.

I was curious about pricing.
The EA station at Walmart in AK is $1 to start and 35 cents a minute.

So e.g. a LEAF with a hot battery that takes on 15 kWh at 22 kW will pay 1+0.35*60*15/22 = $15.32
Around 25 cents a mile

Silver lining: it is faster and cheaper than getting towed.

SageBrush said:
I was curious about pricing.
The EA station at Walmart in AK is $1 to start and 35 cents a minute.

So e.g. a LEAF with a hot battery that takes on 15 kWh at 22 kW will pay 1+0.35*60*15/22 = $15.32
Around 25 cents a mile

Silver lining: it is faster and cheaper than getting towed.
There seems little reason for a car limited to 50kW or slower charging to use one of the 150kW or higher rate chargers at these sites, but I am glad that we've finally got some pricing info, as it will determine the success of the network. I was thrown at first by the reference to "AK", as I was unaware that EA was building any QCs in Alaska, but realized it was a ref. to Arkansas (AR) fairly quickly :lol:

GRA said:
#9, Huntington, OR is open. Why now, I'm not sure, because it's out in the middle of nowhere all by its lonesome. Heyburn, ID 240 miles away is listed as coming soon, but it's not as if there's likely to be a lot of BEVs located in the area that can reach it either at the moment, and Albany, OR is 379 miles away by the shortest (non-Interstate) route.

Its all part of a highway so just as important as any link in a chain. As to why its one of the first? Well, in a chain, location is equally as important as any other. Its obviously first because the permitting and construction hurdles were easier to negotiate.

After all this time, being surprised that Oregon is first for EV support is...well unusual.

DaveinOlyWA said:
GRA said:

Its all part of a highway so just as important as any link in a chain. As to why its one of the first? Well, in a chain, location is equally as important as any other. Its obviously first because the permitting and construction hurdles were easier to negotiate.

After all this time, being surprised that Oregon is first for EV support is...well unusual.
Building a chain from the middle outwards rather than expanding from one or both ends in is not generally very useful, and as there aren't any other QCs in Oregon or Idaho that are listed as coming soon that would connect to this chain (or any major urban area where the cars it will serve are clustered), it does seem extremely odd to build here now.

GRA said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
GRA said:

Building a chain from the middle outwards rather than expanding from one or both ends in is not generally very useful, and as there aren't any other QCs in Oregon or Idaho that are listed as coming soon that would connect to this chain (or any major urban area where the cars it will serve are clustered), it does seem extremely odd to build here now.

Sounds like you need to apply at EA then!

I think that the middle of nowhere EA locations is just a case of those locations getting through the permitting process and having the infrastructure ready to go soonest; it does not represent an intent by EA to start there on purpose.

DaveinOlyWA said:
GRA said:
Sounds like you need to apply at EA then!
If I could still hear well enough to interact with people verbally in a business setting, I could see doing that. As it is, unless it's written, forget it. I had some legal stuff to deal with recently, and I got about one word out of ten that the lawyer said (he tended to run his words together and not enunciate clearly, plus his voice was low-pitched enough that I mostly just got a rumble). Fortunately I had someone else with me who could give me the highlights later.

GRA said:

The Heyburn, ID station is an important station for anyone going from Salt Lake City to Boise, as I often do from time to time. My family lives in Boise and going back and forth costs a mint in gasoline with my regular ICE car. I would much prefer to take my 2018 leaf but currently I can only make it to the Heyburn area safely from the last Chademo station in the Salt Lake Area. I think that is why Electrify America choose this area as one of the first as it is so lacking in charging resources in rural Idaho. Idaho in general though has yet to have a single non dealer owned chademo at all, even in the Boise area. It gets really irritating finding that Tesla has a charger in Tremonton, UT and Twin Falls, ID and Boise, ID however for us regular ev users that are non tesla we are out of luck. I can tell you the Boise area has tons of leafs so it's very odd that more non level 2 infrastructure hasn't been built. Also yes I am a new member, but a long time lurker here I thought I would share this info as I am not sure how many other people here are frequenting this "middle of nowhere area" as you guys put it. :D

stutech said:
GRA said:

The Heyburn, ID station is an important station for anyone going from Salt Lake City to Boise, as I often do from time to time. My family lives in Boise and going back and forth costs a mint in gasoline with my regular ICE car. I would much prefer to take my 2018 leaf but currently I can only make it to the Heyburn area safely from the last Chademo station in the Salt Lake Area. I think that is why Electrify America choose this area as one of the first as it is so lacking in charging resources in rural Idaho. Idaho in general though has yet to have a single non dealer owned chademo at all, even in the Boise area. It gets really irritating finding that Tesla has a charger in Tremonton, UT and Twin Falls, ID and Boise, ID however for us regular ev users that are non tesla we are out of luck. I can tell you the Boise area has tons of leafs so it's very odd that more non level 2 infrastructure hasn't been built. Also yes I am a new member, but a long time lurker here I thought I would share this info as I am not sure how many other people here are frequenting this "middle of nowhere area" as you guys put it. :D

Look at EA's website. despite the confusion by some here, the placement of the stations are obvious. All part of a route...

stutech said:
GRA said:
The thing is, while this site will help you in your particular situation, the number of non-Tesla BEVs is small in this area compared to others. For instance, it's 345 miles from Portland to Huntington, OR, and there are far more BEVs in the Portland area than in SLC so expanding out from there should be the priority. Huntington is beyond non-Tesla range from Portland (and even with a Tesla you'd better have an S100D or 3 LR and take it easy if you expect to make it using only SCs), and SLC-Heyburn is pushing Bolt range given UT/ID freeway speeds and the 1,100 ft. climb along the way.

I have nothing against putting QCs in places like Huntington and Heyburn, indeed they'll be needed there, but you really want one in between Heyburn and SLC first, in Ogden or Tremonton, as it's 182 miles between SLC and Heyburn, and the network is supposed to have a max. spacing of 120 miles and average 70 miles - anything other than a Bolt can't make it (I-Pace and e-Tron Quattro as well once they're available). Even so, it would make far more sense to put a QC in Hood River or Biggs first, then Pendleton, Ontario and Nampa or Boise, and even more sense to connect Portland and Seattle first - see the heat map for the Bolt here: https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9111&start=1740#p532907

Salt Lake has some BEVs, but Denver and Dallas have more and Portland and Seattle more yet, then there's California and the NE corridor or the Tampa-Orlando axis which are in a whole other category.

Back