Plugged in at ChargePoint L2 for 40 minutes, but no increase in charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brenton

My wife missed an important meeting today due to this happening. She had the battery at 14 miles or so, and plugged into a ChargePoint L2 charger. She used the ChargePoint card to set things up as usual and plugged in. The first light blinked, indicating that it was charging.

She came back 40 minutes later to find the car still at 14 miles. :(

We logged into the ChargePoint website and it shows no record of that charging event. :mad:

What could have caused this and how can we avoid it in the future?

LeftieBiker said:
Randy said:
Maybe the timer on the car was set, and that prevented the charging?

One light blinking means no charge timer active, and less than 1/3 charge at start.
Depends on which light was blinking.

Also, via the Chargepoint app, one can look at charging activity and see a list of currently active and past sessions. When you tap on a session, it can show you a charging power graph for both active and previous sessions. Chargepoint (if enabled) also is good about sending notifications (e.g. push notifications, SMS, emails, etc.) if charging is stopped, it thinks charging is complete (there's an intentional 15 minute delay), car isn't drawing power or plugout (unplugged). Enable all of those.

brenton said:
... how can we avoid it in the future?

I always verify that the EVSE is actually working and sending power to my car before leaving. When the ChargePoint station is sending power to your car, the station screen typically shows an animation of electrical flow on the plug line that is feeding your car. I can't find myself to fully trust the stations to work all of the time, so I always check.

@brenton Sounds like you have a charge timer enabled and didn't override the charge timer.

Before you plug the J1772 handle into the charging port on the car, make sure you press this button first:

immediatechargeswitch.png

After you do that, the middle blue light will go solid on your 2014 SV dash, indicating that it's in override charging mode. With override enabled, your LEAF should then start charging as soon as you plug in the J1772 handle.

Back