Lizard Pack Holding Up

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RegGuheert said:
Valdemar said:
I can't quickly find the empirical Ahr to bar mapping but there was a fairly significant variance at bar loss points, if memory serves.
I recently posted about that here. It appears that the MY2015 LEAFs do not drop their twelfth bar until they get below about 53 Ah.

Thanks, then my 12th bar may linger for a bit longer. It is disappointing that Nissan has been inflating the bars on the newer battery packs.

I've finally lost the first bar on my second (lizard) battery. The numbers (per LeafDD):

Months = 28
Miles = 22k
Ahr = 53.42
H = 72.61

Don't know why my "H" is so bad, but I still get decent range (70+ miles @4 mi/kWh).
This is better than my first battery...but only slightly :(

Stanton said:
I've finally lost the first bar on my second (lizard) battery. The numbers (per LeafDD):

Months = 28
Miles = 22k
Ahr = 53.42
H = 72.61

Don't know why my "H" is so bad, but I still get decent range (70+ miles @4 mi/kWh).
This is better than my first battery...but only slightly :(

Yup, I lost a bar on both of my cars last month. These are second battery cars also.

It finally happened. I lost the first bar on my 2015 Lizard battery.

49,500 miles, 2 years and 10 months old.

I'm not entirely unhappy with that. It can still do all the things that I need it to do, and will likely be able to do so with a couple more lost bars.

mike

although said:

I'm not entirely unhappy with that. It can still do all the things that I need it to do, and will likely be able to do so with a couple more lost bars.

mike

Where are you located?

Valdemar said:
although said:

mike

Where are you located?

Is there really any difference between the 2015 Lizard battery and the late 2013/2014 batteries? My '13 Leaf at 62K has 50 Ahrs remaining.
Which isn't all that great, but isn't totally depressing. Others with the same year as mine, indicate even better remaining capacities,
e.g. Dave with his previous 2013 Leaf.

RegGuheert said:
lorenfb said:
Is there really any difference between the 2015 Lizard battery and the late 2013/2014 batteries?
Lower thresholds for bars?

I suspect that the 4/2013 - 2014 "Wolf Packs" are a little less tolerant of sustained high temps, and will degrade a bit faster in them than the Lizard packs.

You're both probably right, i.e. Nissan actually did little to improve the battery. Wish we had some actual data.

lorenfb said:
Is there really any difference between the 2015 Lizard battery and the late 2013/2014 batteries? My '13 Leaf at 62K has 50 Ahrs remaining.
Which isn't all that great, but isn't totally depressing. Others with the same year as mine, indicate even better remaining capacities,
Too much overlap amongst the anecdotes to say.

My 10/2013 LEAF has ~ 58 Ahr remaining but it spent the first 3 years in the Cupertino area and now lives a very pampered life in Colorado where the annual average battery temperature is 55F and peak battery temperatures are in the 80s F

SageBrush said:
lorenfb said:
Too much overlap amongst the anecdotes to say.

My 10/2013 LEAF has ~ 58 Ahr remaining but it spent the first 3 years in the Cupertino area and now lives a very pampered life in Colorado where the annual average battery temperature is 55F and peak battery temperatures are in the 80s F

You're lucky. Like my battery, likely to be one of the better ones (late '13). Here near the coast, have similar weather except when
visiting customers east of here (110F). Given your expressed negativity toward Nissan and their batteries, I think based on the BEV
knowledge you've acquired since your Leaf purchase, you'd still have made the same '13 Leaf purchase, right? Surely you feel that your
Leaf ROI will be positive over time.

lorenfb said:
Given your expressed negativity toward Nissan and their batteries, I think based on the BEV
knowledge you've acquired since your Leaf purchase, you'd still have made the same '13 Leaf purchase, right? Surely you feel that your
Leaf ROI will be positive over time.
I have explained this before. Don't you read every one of my posts !?

Our LEAF purchase is likely to be a fantastic value and experience. It also has a laundry list of caveats that make my LEAF far from anything approaching a normal ownership experience.

1. I paid $7,000 net after tax credits, excluding Colorado TT&L
2. I found a dealership willing to let me choose the car in his inventory with the best LeafSpy results and I did not have to worry about a reset
3. The car is never asked to go further than 45 miles between charges (and that has been voluntary for all but 3 trips in 15 months), and typical use is 10-15 miles a day. We also have another car without range limitations.
4. I baby, baby, baby the car. Anything you can think of to prolong battery life, I do it. And more. For one example, since coming into ownership of the car, it has never been parked on hot, sun exposed asphalt in the summer. We find a shaded space and walk to our destination.
5. I live in a cool climate
6. I don't have any concerns about being a victim of a rapacious and/or ignorant dealership or god-awful Corporate Nissan. If push comes to shove the car goes to the junkyard. It was cheap enough that every day it continues to fulfill its assigned tasks is gravy.

So you see, I was able to buy my proven low degradation LEAF for a song, and she lives the life of a pampered princess. Within the constraints of a *very* sheltered life, our LEAF does great, the monthly TCO is pennies, and the acquisition cost was almost ridiculous.

OF COURSE I am delighted with our LEAF. It fills a niche need with aplomb. Now ask me how I would feel if had acted on another impulse at the time: Buying a $25k 30 kWh LEAF for my 90 mile work commute, only to find out that range had degraded too much in 24 months to keep using the car for that purpose; and moreover that it had depreciated some $15k in the meantime. My negative impression of the LEAF has nothing to do with my anecdotal, unusual experience, but the likelihood that a high fraction of buyers will face the scenario (or one similar) I avoided by a hair and NIssan Corporate will tell any caller to go jump.

A LEAF bought or leased without *huge* discounts off MSRP is horrible value because of the inability of the battery to provide more than a few years of service at anything approaching new car range unless the car lives in a cold climate. I know it; you know it; and potential buyers who come to this website should come away so informed. In summary, the battery sucks and Nissan corporate is below contempt but those things may not matter and the LEAF may be the car for you if it is cheap enough and demands on the car are within its limited abilities.

There are a lot of things any new EV buyer needs to be aware of. For Leaf buyers, the battery degradation is certainly top of the list. For me, the car will be just as useful when the 30kWh battery reaches warranty replacement time as it is today at 4.5k miles. If I had paid retail (I didn't) or if I needed full capacity (I don't) I would be looking to pass the car on. As it is, I could easily sell the car today for a several thousand $ profit and buy something else but I like it and it will work for me as long as I want. So why bother. As someone said in another thread, it is basically a souped-up golf cart but for around town or around the local area - it's perfect. That's also the experience and attitude of the other 8 or 9 Leaf owners at my work site (of about 200) so there are plenty of satisfied owners out there.

But yeah, if you expect to use the full range for 8 years, you will be sorely disappointed. Sadly, I doubt there are few if any car salescritters in the country that will explain that to a prospective buyer. Often probably, because they just don't know.

But yeah, if you expect to use the full range for 8 years, you will be sorely disappointed.

If the 40kwh pack is just "no worse" then the 30kwh pack (and it may well be worse, with more energy density and less cooling) then it won't deliver the "full range" for three years, much less eight. Whenever a leased car can't deliver like-new or nearly-new performance for the life of a three year lease, it's a bad deal for anyone who needs that performance. I only need 100/70 miles of Summer/Winter range, and I'm still worried about leasing one.

If you're still thinking of a used 2015 or something, my local dealer has quite a few. I could LeafSpy them (non-pro at the moment...) if you are interested. https://www.bouldernissan.com/VehicleSearchResults?search=preowned&make=Nissan&model=LEAF

Valdemar said:
although said:

mike

Where are you located?

Sorry, I don't check in very often... I'm in east Tennessee. The winters aren't too awful cold. The summers can get pretty hot, and I parked in an asphalt parking lot in direct sun all day 5-days a week. The car lives outside. I don't have a garage. But, there is an aluminum shade thing that I park the car under at the house.

It's funny, I lost the first bar, but it hasn't really affected my range... It still shows 12 bars of charge when it's full, and I'm still getting about 7 miles per bar as I drive... It's just the top little thin capacity bar that has disappeared. I suppose that I'll see a slow reduction in range over time, but so far it's been rather anti-climactic.

mike

opencar said:
My sig has a yearly update of my Lizard Pack for my 2011. 50K mi on the original battery and so far another ~30K on the Lizard in San Diego.

Looks like your "lizard" battery is improving upon the original by a slightly better margin than mine, which makes sense given I'm in a slightly warmer climate. Looks like I'm tracking about 3 AHr behind you (I'm @53 AHr and 1BL)...with a few less months on the clock. It also looks like you lost your (original battery) first bar around 22k miles whereas this one has gone beyond that; similarly, I lost my (original battery) first bar around 20k miles whereas this one took until 23k miles.
Bottom line: both "lizard" batteries are doing better than the original battery pack!

I'm 50k on the replacement pack installed March 2016, 54.77 AHr, 85.85% SOH, 75.81 Hx, still all 12 bars. Some range loss consistent with the instrumentation readings. Overall I'm pleased with the improvement over the original pack. The car spends most of its time in Los Angeles non-coastal climate.

The 12th bar finally went, it lasted a bit over 50k miles and 29 months after the battery was swapped in March 2016. What is the current thinking, is the Lizard degradation curve less steep overall or the perceived slower initial degradation rate is simply due to a larger top-end buffer and once that's gone it is more or less the same downhill ride as the original pack? Given I observed almost no degradation during the first 6 months on the new battery I tend to think it is the latter.

Back