Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tesla has offered free Supercharging for Performance Model 3 buyers. Performance cars already ordered will get free Supercharging for as long as the buyer owns the car. Performance orders placed from today to September 16th with a referral code, from a current Tesla owner, will get free Supercharging. After September 16th, Performance orders with a referral code will get one year of free Supercharging.

Nice benefit for those paying the considerable extra cost for the Performance Model 3.

According to InsideEVs Tesla delivered 14,250 Model 3s in July 2018 in the US.

It now outsells the Leaf and Bolt EV about 13:1. (Leaf sold 1149 and Bolt 1175).

https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

mtndrew1 said:
The LEAF in it's best whole year ever (2014) in the US only topped 30K cars. The 3 is already well ahead of that in just 7 months.

mtndrew1 said:

It now outsells the Leaf and Bolt EV about 13:1. (Leaf sold 1149 and Bolt 1175).

Hmmm --- That's not eve close to Elon's 5,000 per week he promised.

4.33 weeks per month average X 5,000 = 21,666 Model 3's for July 2018.
He is 7,416 Model 3's short for the Month.

leaf16 said:
mtndrew1 said:

You are a riot.
Tesla hit a surge of 5000/ week at the end of June.
After surge production, Tesla built fewer cars as they regathered, and reengineered the assembly lines. No one expected 20k cars in July.
If Tesla can reach a steady rate of 5k/week by the end of July, this TSLA bull will be very happy.
Tesla is guiding for a 6k/week production later in the year and 10k being hit sometime next year.

Slightly different view: I don't really care what Tesla's production numbers are, nor Ford's, nor GM's, nor Toyota's, nor Roll Royce's, nor Lamborghini's. What I DO care about is the quality, fit, finish, performance, reliability, safety, driveability, fun, and overall value I've received for my investment. Boy, have I enjoyed my return on the Model 3!!!!

leaf16 said:

Oh well - Lutz said they will sell > 100k Volts a year. Ghosn thought they will sell > 150k Leafs a year. That was 8 years back.

Musk is closer to achieving this than GM/Nissan ever was.

Everyone who likes EVs should rejoice this.

Via IEVS:
Tesla Increases Price Of Model 3 Dual Motor
https://insideevs.com/tesla-jacks-up-price-of-model-3-dual-motor/

. . . When the Dual Motor Model 3 was introduced by Tesla Motors, many were surprised with the $5,000 price tag attached to it. Why? Well, because Tesla CEO, Elon Musk, once stated that the dual motor option for their entry-level electric vehicle would be less expensive than on the Model S – priced at the same $5,000.

However, upon launch, both options were priced the same. A few weeks later, when Tesla updated the Model 3 options and pricing tiers, we saw a price reduction to $4,000 for ticking the Dual Motor box on the Model 3.

After a few months, Tesla decided to play with the Model 3’s pricing once again. Revealed earlier last week, Tesla once again updated the pricing for the dual motor version of their entry-level all-electric model, returning the price to $5,000 for the dual-motor option. . . .

VIN registrations are now over 100k. I saw VIN 75,3XX last week (silver, performance + performance package and white interior) prepped and ready for delivery. My first chance to look at a white interior Model 3.

LTLFTcomposite said:
GRA said:
A much less critical but still noteworthy example of continuing QC issues, via IEVS:
This All-White Tesla Model 3 Came With One Brown Door Panel
https://insideevs.com/white-tesla-model-3-brown-door/

Fortunately it's an easy fix (or should be).
That's like finding a penny with the date stamped upside down. I'd hold on to it as is, could be a collectable some day.
I don't think car collectors value the same type of production errors that stamp and coin collectors do, especially an assembly error so easy to correct, but I suppose someone might think it was worth something someday.

I remember pictures of a LEAF that came through with the wrong back seat, fabric vs pleather or black vs grey, don't remember the details now. You could chalk it up to mind-numbing repetitive tasks leading people to not paying attention, OTOH some of these trim pieces may get installed while they still have protective plastic covering on them making the mismatch less noticeable.

This happens to all car makers, I'm surprised there has not been more with Tesla's "rush" and lack of refinement of their delivery process.

My 2011 LEAF had at least 5-6 missing clips, many harnesses that were not attached, itms that were crooked, really bad paint, loose nuts and screws, etc. I know some people were missing parts on LEAFs all together. All human error. Because it is a Tesla it is of course big news as it if is unique to them only.

EVDRIVER said:
This happens to all car makers, I'm surprised there has not been more with Tesla's "rush" and lack of refinement of their delivery process.

My 2011 LEAF had at least 5-6 missing clips, many harnesses that were not attached, itms that were crooked, really bad paint, loose nuts and screws, etc. I know some people were missing parts on LEAFs all together. All human error. Because it is a Tesla it is of course big news as it if is unique to them only.
I don't think anyone was suggesting this was big news (well, maybe IEVS, as they published the story). Unlike the bumpers falling off, which most definitely qualifies.

Back