Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jlv said:
edatoakrun said:
CBS 4 News reported several weeks ago that Riley’s family said they modified the vehicle to only travel at a top speed of 85 miles per hour after Riley received a speeding ticket in March for going 112 miles per hour...
Up until the firmware release this week with the new speed limiter, the only way I knew an owner could limit the speed was to put the car in valet mode, which limits it to 70 MPH. I'm not sure how they set a limit of 85...
The reports state TSLA limited the top speed, at the owner's (father's) request.

If TSLA made an attempt to do so, and its was ineffective (as claimed) then there it may be a reason to find additional liability for TSLA for the deaths.

jlv said:
...Back to personal responsibility, if my son had gotten a speeding ticket for doing 112 MPH :!:, you can damn well be sure I wouldn't be letting him use the car at all anymore.
I would have no problem with regulating teenage drivers to relatively low-speed and low-powered vehicles during the first few years of driving.

In fact, I have suggested to friends that they buy Nissan LEAF's for their teenage sons.

Not only for crash safety, but to reduce the risk of being responsible for an unwanted pregnancy to near zero...

edatoakrun said:
The reports state TSLA limited the top speed, at the owner's (father's) request.
No it doesn't, you trolling little POS.
The newspaper article quoted an Aunt who said she thought her brother (the father) asked Tesla about a speed controller.
Here is the text of the newspaper
Pat Riley said her brother, James, knew that Tesla loaner cars had an 85 mph maximum speed. So after Barrett was cited in March, his first traffic offense, the father asked Tesla to adjust the car’s top velocity.

Ed,

The moderators and site admin have been discussing your posting behavior for some time for a variety of reasons. There have been complaints from forum members because of your postings, some not returning as a result. It was suggested to remove your access to the site, I argued against this on your behalf some time ago and suggested an additional warning which has since past. There will be no further debate or discussion on this topic and any further complaints will result in your access to the site being removed. You are entitled to your opinion here but you have been excessively disruptive. There will be no further warnings past this point, the site admin will remove your access for a variety of reasons.

I find Ed's one-sided monomania re Tesla to be as tedious as most people do, but everyone here has the option of putting him in their 'ignore' (now renamed 'foe') file, so why shouldn't we leave the responsibility to each individual as to whether or not to read his posts, as long as he doesn't violate forum rules (I would personally love to see far more mod attention paid here to ensuring civility, and less to censoring opinions). Everyone here's an adult, and should be capable of deciding for themselves the value of an individual's contributions - mere disagreement with someone's opinions, regardless of the number of people who do so, should never be the standard by which banning decisions are made.

That brings me to another point, dividing people into 'friends' or 'foes'. That's exactly the sort of 'us or them' partisan categorization to which our political discourse has degraded, where both sides treat anyone who disagrees as 'the enemy'. 'Ignore' is a neutral term, as there can be a variety of reasons for putting a poster in that category, so I'd much prefer to see the 'foe' option returned to its previous designation of 'ignore'. Personally, my feeling is that anyone who gets so worked up by a dissenting viewpoint expressed by an anonymous poster in a hobbyist forum on the internet as to consider them a 'foe' needs to recalibrate their perspective, and get a life.

Opinions are one thing.
Misrepresenting what a report says, or flat out lying about it is not defendable.

This is not what the report said. Now, if it were simple sloppiness and Ed apologized, that would be one thing. But that isn’t his MO.

EVDRIVER said:
Ed,

The moderators and site admin have been discussing your posting behavior for some time for a variety of reasons. There have been complaints from forum members because of your postings, some not returning as a result. It was suggested to remove your access to the site, I argued against this on your behalf some time ago and suggested an additional warning which has since past. There will be no further debate or discussion on this topic and any further complaints will result in your access to the site being removed. You are entitled to your opinion here but you have been excessively disruptive. There will be no further warnings past this point, the site admin will remove your access for a variety of reasons.
Who are the complainers? Tesla fanboys? "Cult of Elon" members?

While Ed and one other person are usually overly negative about Tesla, I've learned to take what they post on that subject with a huge grain of salt. And, I personally ignore most of Ed's posts relating to Leaf battery degradation, range on degraded batteries, etc.
GRA said:
I find Ed's one-sided monomania re Tesla to be as tedious as most people do, but everyone here has the option of putting him in their 'ignore' (now renamed 'foe') file, so why shouldn't we leave the responsibility to each individual as to whether or not to read his posts, as long as he doesn't violate forum rules (I would personally love to see far more mod attention paid here to ensuring civility, and less to censoring opinions). Everyone here's an adult, and should be capable of deciding for themselves the value of an individual's contributions - mere disagreement with someone's opinions, regardless of the number of people who do so, should never be the standard by which banning decisions are made.
I agree. There are some folks here (including this thread) who are just not very civil. Others have had issues w/one of those folks in other threads.

As long as Ed's and the other person who is rather negative on Tesla are civil and post correct information, there should be no reason to remove them. I'd rather see them here than a whole bunch of cult of Elon members. There's a Tesla fanboy on another (non-Tesla) forum I'm on and it's become both tedious (at times) and comical.

The complainers should just skip over their posts and/or add the two to their foes list.

Ed remains an active member and this is not a matter of being negative on Tesla or someone being a fanboy or not. It is not a matter of opinions either. I’m confident that anyone warned on this site (which is very rare) knows what the issues are. As I have always said everyone is entitled to their opinions no matter how extreme. Ones’s opinion or difference of is not an issue.

Zythryn said:
Opinions are one thing.
Misrepresenting what a report says, or flat out lying about it is not defendable.

This is not what the report said. Now, if it were simple sloppiness and Ed apologized, that would be one thing. But that isn’t his MO.
You and anyone else have the ability to rebut his claims, so where's the problem? If he consistently acts as you say, then eventually no one will bother reading or replying to him. And all that assumes that the same facts are subject to only one interpretation, which is rarely the case. We all parse facts/statements through our own set of pre-existing biases, which raises the resonance of some facts/statements and lowers others. Ideally, we are aware of those biases and try to eliminate them, but even so, we're likely to have very mixed success.

GRA said:
Zythryn said:
Opinions are one thing.

You and anyone else have the ability to rebut his claims, so where's the problem?...

"The problem" is no factual rebuttal, because I was not making a claim, I was stating the facts, as reported by multiple high-integrity sources:

Crash victim’s dad had Tesla’s top speed lowered

Barrett Riley’s aunt, Pat Riley, said the teen’s father had the car’s speed lowered to a maximum of 85 mph after Barrett was cited for speeding in March.
After Barrett Riley got a ticket for driving 112 mph in March, his father had the teen’s 2014 Tesla Model S altered so it could not go faster than 85 mph, Riley’s aunt, Pat Riley, said Friday...
https://www.pressreader.com/usa/sun-sentinel-broward-edition/20180512/281492161958324

...Barrett Riley’s aunt, Pat, told CBS4 News that the family knew about the speeding ticket and that Barrett was not at all reckless and was often the designated driver for his friends.

She said that after the ticket Barrett’s parents had Tesla alter the car so that it could not go faster than 85 miles per hour...
https://miami.cbslocal.com/2018/05/10/ntsb-to-investigate-fiery-crash-of-tesla-in-ft-lauderdale/

And even a TSLA apologist rag stated:

...The father was aware of his son’s lead foot and attempted to address the issue following the speeding ticket.

Knowing that Tesla’s loaner cars can’t go over 85 mph, James Riley reached out to Tesla to see if they could limit the top speed of his son’s car, which Tesla did on request...
https://electrek.co/2018/06/26/tesla-dedicates-new-speed-limiting-feature-kid-died-model-s-crash/

I don't know why anyone would want to make a fool of themselves by repeating false statements made by one of MNLs most accomplished liars without doing their own simple search for the facts, first.

But then, I also don't know why those who continue to make fools of themselves by driving Teslas and ICEVs, would also want to point that out on this forum.

EVDRIVER said:
Ed remains an active member...

No, I do not.

See my on-topic at:

Abusive behavior and threats by moderators on MNL.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26111

Ed, you are active on the site and no one is stopping you from posting in relevant threads as you just did.

A distorted echo of blogs and newspapers wrote about hearsay from the Aunt.
Only in a troll's world is that "facts."

This should be posted at the thread below:

Tesla's vehicle safety record
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25938

But that thread remains locked, due to a MNL administrator's abuse of his responsibilities.

Another USA TSLA driver death (likely to have been fatal in most all vehicles) was recently reported:

Woman dies when chunk of concrete falls on Tesla
https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-news/woman-dies-when-chunk-of-concrete-falls-on-tesla_20180724131203/1319802454

This driver death, which looks to be the 13th reported for Tesla S and X models in the USA, has not yet been added to the list below:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lkQJjG9gNQffucvL9Uf0Ag__aUbTyCj8/view

So the reported TSLA driver USA death rate now is three to four times that of comparably expensive vehicles, and also of Nissan LEAFs/Chevy Volts, as reported on the previous IIHS databases.

If there is a significant underreport rate for USA driver TSLA fatalities, future IIHS results will of course, eventually look even worse for Teslas.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/driver-death-rates.

edatoakrun said:

See my on-topic at:

EVDRIVER said:
Ed, you are active on the site and no one is stopping you from posting in relevant threads as you just did.
When MNL recently closed a thread for the expressed purpose of suppressing vehicle safety information for current and potential BEV drivers, and MNL administration refused to reply to my warnings, I stopped making my regular posts on conversational topics.

I intend to continue to post on BEV safety issues.

As I said previously, If i were to lie by omission by not pointing out life-threatening events (in this case, driving a Tesla S or X) would place me in ~the same degenerate condition the cultists who deny the facts regarding TSLA's safety record, have already put themselves.

Off-topic:

I may also occasionally post on my reality-based observations on the capabilities of my eight-capacity-bar-2011 as long as I continue to drive it, as MNL's prevailing idiocy of relying on LBC readings is certainly the greatest factor impairing Nissan LEAF use, and I seem to be the only driver remaining from the early deliveries who has monitored my LEAF's actual battery condition and driving range from delivery, to date.

... ~115.2 miles on a single charge for the second leg of this trip pushes it right up to my personal comfort range for my eight-capacity-bar 2011.

Since this last trip illustrates why only fools take LBC reports of battery condition and available capacity seriously, I'll add some more details...
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=532996#p532996

edatoakrun said:
This should be posted at the thread below:

Tesla's vehicle safety record
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25938

But that thread remains locked, due to a MNL administrator's abuse of his responsibilities.

Another USA TSLA driver death (likely to have been fatal in most all vehicles) was recently reported:

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-news/woman-dies-when-chunk-of-concrete-falls-on-tesla_20180724131203/1319802454

This driver death, which looks to be the 13th reported for Tesla S and X models in the USA, has not yet been added to the list below:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lkQJjG9gNQffucvL9Uf0Ag__aUbTyCj8/view

So the reported TSLA driver USA death rate now is three to four times that of comparably expensive vehicles, and also of Nissan LEAFs/Chevy Volts, as reported on the previous IIHS databases.

If there is a significant underreport rate for USA driver TSLA fatalities, future IIHS results will of course, eventually look even worse for Teslas.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/driver-death-rates.

edatoakrun said:

See my on-topic at:

EVDRIVER said:
When MNL recently closed a thread for the expressed purpose of suppressing vehicle safety information for current and potential BEV drivers, and MNL administration refused to reply to my warnings, I stopped making my regular posts on conversational topics.

I intend to continue to post on BEV safety issues.

As I said previously, If i were to lie by omission by not pointing out life-threatening events (in this case, driving a Tesla S or X) would place me in ~the same degenerate condition the cultists who deny the facts regarding TSLA's safety record, have already put themselves.

Off-topic:

I may also occasionally post on my reality-based observations on the capabilities of my eight-capacity-bar-2011 as long as I continue to drive it, as MNL's prevailing idiocy of relying on LBC readings is certainly the greatest factor impairing Nissan LEAF use, and I seem to be the only driver remaining from the early deliveries who has monitored my LEAF's actual battery condition and driving range from delivery, to date.

... ~115.2 miles on a single charge for the second leg of this trip pushes it right up to my personal comfort range for my eight-capacity-bar 2011.

Since this last trip illustrates why only fools take LBC reports of battery condition and available capacity seriously, I'll add some more details...
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=532996#p532996

If it was a small chunk of concrete, that would have been a story, but it was huge. That would have killed the driver of any car, I’m sure.

jonathanfields4ever said:
If it was a small chunk of concrete, that would have been a story, but it was huge. That would have killed the driver of any car, I’m sure.
Yes, Ed's anti-Tesla posts have crossed over into ridiculous hysteria. I suppose anyone who drove an actual tank might have survived having anything that big and heavy fall directly on their vehicle and them, but since cars aren't made out of steel (and/or ceramic) armor plate several inches thick, it's kind of a moot point. A similar attempt to credit Tesla's design and/or construction for the death of a driver who went off the road and bounced/rolled/plunged down a 500-foot seaside cliff is equally ludicrous.

There are many legitimate safety questions that can be raised re some of Tesla's decisions, especially regarding A/P and controls, but attributing this particular death to Tesla is laughable. At this rate, if an earthquake were to cause the Golden Gate Bridge to collapse, a Tesla happened to be the only car on it and the car and driver fell the 220 feet into the Bay and either died from the impact or drowned, Ed would blame Tesla for that too.

GRA said:
jonathanfields4ever said:
Yes, Ed's anti-Tesla posts have crossed over into ridiculous hysteria. I suppose anyone who drove an actual tank might have survived having anything that big and heavy fall directly on their vehicle and them, but since cars aren't made out of steel (and/or ceramic) armor plate several inches thick, it's kind of a moot point. A similar attempt to credit Tesla's design and/or construction for the death of a driver who went off the road and bounced/rolled/plunged down a 500-foot seaside cliff is equally ludicrous.

There are many legitimate safety questions that can be raised re some of Tesla's decisions, especially regarding A/P and controls, but attributing this particular death to Tesla is laughable. At this rate, if an earthquake were to cause the Golden Gate Bridge to collapse, a Tesla happened to be the only car on it and the car and driver fell the 220 feet into the Bay and either died from the impact or drowned, Ed would blame Tesla for that too.

Maybe a Tesla on summon ran over his dog? I actually find his posts quite entertaining, but they Poe me hard. Is it fanboy satire or true famboyism? Impossible to know.

edatoakrun said:

Tesla driver killed by careless ICE driver

There, fixed the headline.

Putting this under the S thread since the person was pushed out 2014, before the X shipped.

A former Tesla engineer says the company silenced her entire team after they brought up safety and quality issues
https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-silences-team-concerned-about-quality-issues-according-to-former-engineer-2018-7

Back