Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guzziboy said:
I live in New Hampshire USA. Summers are 80+ deg F and winters can be below Zero. Car will be 75% winter use as I ride a motorcycle during summertime. Total daily range needed to get to work and back is 80 miles. And I can charge at work.

Then between Nissan's capacity warranty ( if they don't manage to change it) and work charging, range shouldn't be an issue, and degradation should be at least "not very rapid."

Guzziboy said:
First time post. I just left the Nissan Dealer and have both a purchase and a lease deal in writing on a 2018 Leaf SV with winter package. I think Rapidgate is really hurting sales now. Seems like a good deal. And the cars aren’t moving I guess. Rapidgate isn’t a huge deal to me as the car will be a daily winter commuter mostly.
The purchase deal
MSRP $34,925
Sales price $31,408
Doc fees $500
Utility rebate $5000
That means without anything down the total price is $26,908 and they have offered 0% financing. Include the $7500 fed tax credit and the cost out of my pocket is $19,407. I think that’s pretty good!

The Lease deal
3yr/36000 Miles, $1000 down $399/month with a buyout of $11,900 at lease end.

I think I’m going to purchase... any thoughts?
are you sure you are entitled to $7500 on a lease? Either way it's a good deal with the utility rebate, unless you commute more than 120 miles a day it's a no brainer.

No tax
Rebates
3K discount from Nissan

I personally don't think rapidgate is hurting sales, it's just EV sales in general and many are waiting for the next big thing.

are you sure you are entitled to $7500 on a lease?

All that matters with the lease offer is the actual numbers to be paid. (It should be noted that the "discount" from Nissan was their measly kickback to the lessee after taking the whole tax credit themselves.) The purchase deal is of more concern, as many don't owe that much in taxes for one year.

Sadly when I went to pick up the car. Nissan informed the dealer that the utility rebate was off msrp only and the other discounts couldn’t be combined. They tried to talk me into leasing the car but I walked away. Bummer because I think it’s a fantastic car but the deal has to be fair enough to outpace the rapid depreciation on these cars.

are you sure you are entitled to $7500 on a lease? Either way it's a good deal with the utility rebate, unless you commute more than 120 miles a day it's a no brainer.

No tax
Rebates
3K discount from Nissan

I personally don't think rapidgate is hurting sales, it's just EV sales in general and many are waiting for the next big thing.[/quote]

The $7500 tax credit goes to the leasing company so lease credit would have been $8175 in this case. But I’m not interested in leasing. In my humble opinion it’s the worst way to finance a vehicle.

Guzziboy said:
Sadly when I went to pick up the car. Nissan informed the dealer that the utility rebate was off msrp only and the other discounts couldn’t be combined. They tried to talk me into leasing the car but I walked away. Bummer because I think it’s a fantastic car but the deal has to be fair enough to outpace the rapid depreciation on these cars.

Guzziboy, I’ve been working on a similar deal to what you tried. For the discount off MSRP, was the dealer using any othe Nissan incentives to get to that price, or was that the dealer discount? I was hoping that if I could get the dealer to go lower on price without using any incentives through Nissan, the extra 3k from the utility promo would work.

collinobremski said:
Guzziboy said:

Guzziboy, I’ve been working on a similar deal to what you tried. For the discount off MSRP, was the dealer using any othe Nissan incentives to get to that price, or was that the dealer discount? I was hoping that if I could get the dealer to go lower on price without using any incentives through Nissan, the extra 3k from the utility promo would work.

I guess Nissan has several rebate deal agreements with utilities but it is essentially the same markdown as what you can get straight through the dealer. They haven’t educated their dealers properly how these work and thats why they initially quoted me the lower price. Essentially the difference was $3500 higher when they straightened it out with Nissan. I guess I’ll keep driving my 27 year old Volvo 240 another winter lol. It’s more than paid for itself. ;)

I have received a quote for Silver 2018 Leaf SV model with tech and protection package (MSRP 36,200). Most dealerships in bay area have this combo.

The out-the-door price with tax/title/license is $31,174. There are a bunch of incentives going on right now (VPP, Loyalty, NMAC, Dealer cash). There is also a 0% financing offer.

Just putting this info out there if it helps other buyers or if others know better prices.

Joe6pack said:
Doesn't California have a state incentive or is that no longer available.
It does, and it is (subject to income limits). https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng

On Nissan's website, I see offers of 0% financing, $2,500 bonus cash, $2,000 NMAC cash. Does anyone know whether these are real ADDITIONAL offers? I see the Bonus cash says there are residency requirements. Does anyone know if this is just the State rebates for some states disguised?

There is also a headline of a $139/month lease offer with $2,539 due at signing.

On the surface these look like good incentives.

jake14mw said:
On Nissan's website, I see offers of 0% financing, $2,500 bonus cash, $2,000 NMAC cash. Does anyone know whether these are real ADDITIONAL offers? I see the Bonus cash says there are residency requirements. Does anyone know if this is just the State rebates for some states disguised?

There is also a headline of a $139/month lease offer with $2,539 due at signing.

On the surface these look like good incentives.
Unfortunately, there aren't any base S model without any option that would satisfy $139/month lease term. Best I could find in my area was S model with Quick Charge and All Weather option with floor mats, that rises MSRP by $3,305. This maybe a bait and trap for dealer to lure in potential buyers.

When the 2019 Leaf models come out with the ~60 kWh battery there will likely be ridiculously good fire sales/leases on the 2018 models.

We were not really looking to get anything less than a 60 kWh battery for our next vehicle upgrade, but if we can get a sweet deal on a 2018 model when our 2016 Leaf lease is up in April, we could conceivably go with that.

Figure another three-year lease and then there will be yet another steal, this time on a 60 kWh battery trim.

When the 2019 Leaf models come out with the ~60 kWh battery there will likely be ridiculously good fire sales/leases on the 2018 models.

I don't agree, because the 60kwh Leaf will cost more, and 120+ miles of real world range is fine for a lot of people.

Huh? What does that have to do with the 2018 40kWh no active thermal management Leafs. Only that they will be sold at more of a discount.

When the 40kWh was about to roll out, there were crazy good deals on the 30kWh.

Why should this be different?

I need advice. (New to the forum btw) I've read the last few pages of this thread but haven't found what I'm looking for.
Where I live they are offering 0% for 72 months , $2500 off for one reason and also $2000 off for whatever other reason. My experian auto 8 score is currently 654, 6 points shy of teir 2 I think. I am planning to trade my car in if it doesn't sell by then, on the 27th and use a vehicle advantage program where someone haggles for you because who enjoys doing that? The guy on the phone told me he could match that price or beat it , how I have no idea. I also can get $1000 below the invoice price through where I work too. I want to buy a 2018 SL grey metallic with the only package they offer with that trim.

Do I stay with this idea of going in on the 27th, or wait until oct in the hopes that the price goes lower?

Focusing just on the last question: there are two forces at play here. First, because of internal incentives, Nissan salescreatures are more eager to sell cars at the very end of a given month than at the beginning. OTOH, the discounts change from month to month (at the beginning of the month) and the incentives may increase. If you think that the car you want will be available through October, you might want to wait and see what the incentives are in October, and if you don't like them, wait till the end of October to strike a deal. If you want to make a deal now, for whatever reason, do it in the last 2-3 days of September, and offer less. They may take it.

BuffaloBillsfan said:
I need advice. (New to the forum btw) I've read the last few pages of this thread but haven't found what I'm looking for.

?

With that credit score you really don't have much leverage to demand fire sale prices... Especially on the top of the line model, which shows your "exquisite" taste...

powersurge said:
BuffaloBillsfan said:

?

With that credit score you really don't have much leverage to demand fire sale prices... Especially on the top of the line model, which shows your "exquisite" taste...

Wow, aren't you a ray of sunshine welcoming a newcomer.

Now, for Billsfan's original question. September and October are both good months to buy a car in my opinion. There are a lot of distractions (school, sports) and uncertainty around elections. And, as Lefiie says, wait until the end of the month.

What I like to do is negotiate via email and text as I hate face to face. You will want to visit the dealership so you can meet your salesman and let them know you're real. Then, go home and follow up with email. Most dealers are used to it these days. Let them run your credit, it will let them know you're serious. You can work two dealers off each other this way too. I work everything out ahead of time, so all I have to do is go in and sign the paperwork. This way you also have a negotiation record in writing. Make very sure you get the interest rate in writing as they love to bait and switch at the finance table.

Good luck.

I'm going to be using something called the "vehicle advantage program" and someone will do all of that dealership search/haggling so I don't have to. As far as the credit score goes, i read that the 0% is for qualifying tier 1 and 2 credit, and my score is 6 points shy of that (I believe tier 2 starts at 660) which will get slightly better next month. I've read that dealerships have the power to bump you up to the next best tier if they choose to.

Back