Use of Nissan Leaf battery in Solar installation.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone please provide a schematic of the whole system especially showing how the BMS is wired? I'm technical but not quite to the level that I can decipher the posts and put it together.

I have, thanks. What I would specifically like to know is that if you have a pack of 7 modules and each module has 2 cells for a total of 14 cells for the pack does that mean that you use one BMS for the pack? In your case, when you've used 6 packs initially does that mean you used 6 BMS? Thanks in advance.

Correct. 7 modules=14 cells on series.
Only one BMS needed.

You can put as many cells in parallell as you like.

Hi offpist, thanks for sharing this awesome work.

I am currently off-grid using Outback charge controller and Inverter and an ancient 460Ah 48V Lead acid battery bank. These old batteries are a real worry.

Having swapped my 2011 Leaf's battery for a newer one http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=21997&start=120 my plan is now to make a similar storage system to yours with the old pack. I will try not to ask too many stupid questions. Before I begin I want to know if you are still happy with your design or if there are some things you'd change, especially now that there are 2 year's worth of developments since your first build?

Thanks,
Niall

Hello, nice project, i would like to do the same but i would like to ask you your experience with the battery pack, how many cicles did you do? do you see some changes after the time? how much charge discharge the package?
thanks in advance.

Hi offpist

Could you please send copies of the photos originally linked to this first post?

I have a 2015 Gen 3 leaf battery and I'm planning on using sunny boy's as inverters. I need to learn more first.

Regards

Barry

offpist said:
Hello everybody.
I currently drive an Nissan Leaf, and I am also very interested in Solar systems.
So I started thinking an battery from Nissan Leaf would make a good storage for solar power I normally export to the grid.

So, I got a hold of a battery pack from an wrecked Leaf, and started building.
First of all i had to make it about 48V, and to do that i have to put 14 Cells in series.
Each module has two cells, so its only 7 modules in series and 6 in paralell.
Then I can use 42 of the 48 modules from the battery pack.
This may be expanded with more modules later, we will see.

For battery management i am using this unit:
http://www.rec-bms.com/BMS9R.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BMS.

Fuse, contactor and pre-charge unit.

Some of the connections.

Shunt.

LCD panel.

Comming together.

From the back.

Thermostatic controlled fans on top.

4 pcs M10 bolts on each bank.

zevpilot said:
I have a 2015 Gen 3 leaf battery and I'm planning on using sunny boy's as inverters. I need to learn more first.

Regards

Barry

Not sure of your ultimate goals/use, however have you considered using the Leaf's battery pack as is at the ~400 VDC level with a APC/Schneider UPS inverter that operates at the same voltage range with a center tap of +/- 200 VDC? The emergency disconnect of the Leaf's battery provides the connections required. Of course this would be off-grid only with careful consideration given to the VA/watts limitations of the UPS's under continuous load (must derate). Not sure of the viability of this option, but a consideration.

I made a Leaf Powerwall! Here it is:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLNzF3EpTQk[/youtube]
I commissioned it Jan 1st 2018 and its been running my house and workshop ever since. It has a case now. I will upload a video of that soon.

I have two GEN2, 24KWH batteries for sale, located in Oslo/Norway.
PM me if interested.

Great setup btw NiallDarwin.

Hi offpist,

I am interested about your offer. I sent you a PM.

Thank you in advance for answer.

offpist said:
I have two GEN2, 24KWH batteries for sale, located in Oslo/Norway.

Great setup btw NiallDarwin.

Here it is in it's "house":
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNaYbdn-1Mk[/youtube]

I have replaced my deep cycle Trojan flooded lead acid batteries with half a 2014 Leaf Lithium pack AND DOUBLED MY RANGE and tripled or quadrupled battery pack life.

I have a large home with a large rooftop Solar power plant. NEXT PROJECT WOULD BE TO GO OFF-GRID. But, I am waiting for someone to share their HOW TO KNOWLEDGE. Someone knowlegable in SoCal would be ideal.

Back