2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My source is on the production side in N. America. Therefore, he probably wouldn't know much about pricing, marketing, etc. He does however know about production schedules and may have some info. on configuration changes. It's kind of a friend of a friend situation, so I try not to be too demanding. I will see if I can get an update.

Joe6pack said:
I have it on reasonably good authority that the 2019 LEAF won't be available in the US until February 2019. I'll let you know if I can get a production start date or any other details.

Are you referring to the 2019 40 kWh version here?

I know many forum members are interested in the e-Plus 60 kWh version, but for me 40 kWh will be enough even in winter and after years of battery degradation. That would be a big increase over my 2013 24 kWh Leaf which has degraded by about 16%. It has served me well, and for the occasional out-of-range trip, my wife has a Prius. I want a new Leaf mainly for the driver-assist capabilities including one-pedal driving. I'm not looking for faster acceleration.

@JonathanT I think you are assuming that the 2019 LEAF, all trims, will have TMS. However, I'm more cynical - I think the 40 kWh offering will not have TMS. Hope I'm wrong.

The current "Save on the last of our 2018 models before they're gone" offers on nissanusa.com end on 9/04/2018.

The 2018 LEAF was revealed on 9/5/2017. http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/overview-2018-nissan-leaf

Perhaps there will be a 2019 LEAF reveal around that time this year, which is a week from today.

alozzy said:
@JonathanT I think you are assuming that the 2019 LEAF, all trims, will have TMS. However, I'm more cynical - I think the 40 kWh offering will not have TMS. Hope I'm wrong.
I agree with you and will be surprised if the 40 kWh 2019 version has TMS. I expect it will be Leaf 2.1, the 2018 Leaf with a few minor changes/improvements at the same price or maybe a little more.

Joe6pack said:
I'm talking specifically about the 2019 60 kWh LEAF.
Thanks. Do you have any information on whether the 2019 40 kWh version will appear before the 60 kW e-Plus? Presumably it could be simultaneous but won't be later.

eplus said:
The current "Save on the last of our 2018 models before they're gone" offers on nissanusa.com end on 9/04/2018.

The 2018 LEAF was revealed on 9/5/2017. http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/overview-2018-nissan-leaf

Perhaps there will be a 2019 LEAF reveal around that time this year, which is a week from today.
Yes, I was tempted by the incentives to buy a 2018 Leaf, but last week the dealer told me that production had stopped (I inferred around the end of July), and I prefer not to buy a car that has been sitting on hot asphalt for a few weeks, possibly fully charged. So I've decided to wait for the 2019 40 kWh version.

webeleafowners said:
We are also settling into the idea of an extended range 2020 Nissan Leaf to replace one of our cars. But they will have to lose the analogue Speedo. The new dash is a step backwards from our 2016 Leaf.

The smart thing would be to make a digital (and maybe HUD as well) speedo part of the Tech Package.

webeleafowners said:
We are also settling into the idea of an extended range 2020 Nissan Leaf to replace one of our cars. But they will have to lose the analogue Speedo. The new dash is a step backwards from our 2016 Leaf.

I don’t get the hate for the analog speedo. I like it a lot. And you can always pull up a digital one on the little screen to the left.

eplus said:

Promo's generally end/start every month so this is simply business as usual.

I'd like a version without TMS, maybe with a smaller battery than 60kWh. TMS increases the risk of battery fires, perhaps shortens battery life in very cool places like where I live, decreases reliability and costs more.

I'd like a large, centered digital speedometer. On all the time, not just when the correct screen is enabled.

I'd like the ability to control how full the battery is charged to. As well as timers to control when the battery is charged.

I'd like a faster and more reliable remote climate start.

I like the interior of the car mostly as it is. Perhaps a bit more knee room for the driver.

WetEV said:
I'd like a version without TMS, maybe with a smaller battery than 60kWh. TMS increases the risk of battery fires, perhaps shortens battery life in very cool places like where I live, decreases reliability and costs more.

I'd like a large, centered digital speedometer. On all the time, not just when the correct screen is enabled.

I'd like the ability to control how full the battery is charged to. As well as timers to control when the battery is charged.

I'd like a faster and more reliable remote climate start.

I like the interior of the car mostly as it is. Perhaps a bit more knee room for the driver.

TMS that is configurable is nice but TBH, its not all its cracked up to be. Yeah, in this area, TMS has limited value in most cases. I'd rather have a fan that I can turn on and off as I feel the need but if we are dreaming,

I definitely want custom charge levels. Not sure what is stopping Nissan since EVERYONE else offers it. Even if not accurate, I wouldn't care as long as it was consistent.

Wi Fi. Everything has it nowadays so in reality, how much would it cost? I am not afraid of being hacked. Simply allow basic features and controls that do not allow driving the car. That is all I want anyway.

Speedometer? do whatever you want with it. I still am searching for the reason why its such a big deal.

Interior; Make it an easier fold flat option. I went camping in my LEAF the other day and I can say, it can be done. Bring back rear seat heaters.

jonathanfields4ever said:
webeleafowners said:

I don’t get the hate for the analog speedo. I like it a lot. And you can always pull up a digital one on the little screen to the left.

Hey Jonathan. Not really a hate. Just a preference. I have a coworker with a 2018 and he is fine with the analog speedometer.

Over the weekend, German Nissan Leaf Facebook page started posting notices from dealers saying orders for the new e-plus will be accepted from October. The notice also said it was a 64kWh battery and had TMS. There was also a lot of chatter on the weekend on twitter for the e-plus in Eastern European countries mentioning the same date. Nothing verifiable or attributable to an official Nissan person as yet.

Today I was waiting at the dealership while my 2013 Leaf was being serviced, and I asked about the availability of the 2019 Leaf. The general manager told me that Nissan had assigned him six 2019 Leafs, all 40 kW, I believe. This is consistent with Nissan's previous statement that the 60 kW version will follow later. He has no information on pricing (or none that he was willing to share). He thinks production will begin in October and the cars will arrive around Christmas.

^^^^
You mean 40 or 60 kWh, not "kW". Battery capacity is measured in kWh.

Please see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=520169#p520169.

Unless a dealer has been briefed on, received notification or has personal contacts w/insiders, you've got to take what they say about future products with a grain of salt. Example was mine at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=287166#p287166. Nissan Maxima still doesn't have a V8 engine.

Back