Warning - Pro-Pilot Assist issues

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
While it doesn't resume speeds as fast as I would like, it does resume speeds just barely fast enough to keep people behind you from honking :D

You live in Canada, don't you? Or maybe the nicer part of the Midwest? ;-)

Atlanta :D

I have the ICC feature on my 2018 SV (did not opt for the Tech package)...I drive in thick commuter SF traffic in office hour...I find the ICC pretty good. Sure, it is not able to react quick enough when someone cuts very closely...and it loses track of the car in front in sharp curves...a few handful of corner cases it cannot handle, but otherwise..for single lane stop and go traffic...it is a lifesaver...it has reduced by driving stress by more than 50%.

My 2 cents.

DaveinOlyWA said:
In my two stints with PPA, I noticed the only way to make it somewhat acceptable was to change the follow distance to 1 in stop and go, then bump to 2 when traffic is flowing normally on streets with speed limit at 35 mph or less.

I tried leaving it at 1 and when traffic moved, my follow distance was uncomfortably close and speed was erratic. Leaving it at 2 allowed waaaay too much distance even when stopped. The big issue as I see it, is the system's weak or slow or complete inability to adjust the set parameters to the actual speed of the vehicle.

That is correct. You need to adjust the following distance to 1 in thick stop and go, 2 in 35-55mph driving..and 3 at 65mph+ driving...that is the best way to work with PPA.

So I was behind a white pathfinder today and PPA slows the car down, pathfinder in front goes to complete stop, car brakes up to a point and then kind of lets the car creep up. close enough that I manually apply brakes. Is this normal? I tried it again with an accord in front of me and it was a lot more predictable

dtam83 said:
So I was behind a white pathfinder today and PPA slows the car down, pathfinder in front goes to complete stop, car brakes up to a point and then kind of lets the car creep up. close enough that I manually apply brakes. Is this normal? I tried it again with an accord in front of me and it was a lot more predictable

no. what was your follow setting?

What I remember is follow setting when stopped roughly correlates to car lengths so 1 is one car length, 2 is 2 car lengths, etc.

DaveinOlyWA said:
dtam83 said:

no. what was your follow setting?

What I remember is follow setting when stopped roughly correlates to car lengths so 1 is one car length, 2 is 2 car lengths, etc.

My setting was on 2 for both instances (navigator and pathfinder)

I'm loving the PPA. I have a 40 mile commute that takes just under an hour. I'm driving the car for about 10 minutes of that time. The rest of the time I just let the car drive itself with my knee resting lightly on the steering wheel. I know where along the route I need to take over and also have to manually stop at traffic lights if I'm not following anyone (almost learned that one the hard way). I do maintain vigilance but it's more like watching the road when I'm the shotgun passenger. This feature has completely change my feelings about this long distance commute.

Not having a hand on the wheel significantly increases your reaction time and makes a crash substantially more likely. You are being foolish and endangering others as well.

Trolls start fights for the sake of seeing fighting. I noted a genuine danger and will now drop out of this thread. Hopefully you will have just a minor close call and realize the problems with your actions.

This is a good post to keep all informed about what PPA / ICC / AEB can and can't do. Mostly, need to be very careful. Even AEB don't work on higher speeds. And Applied brakes is at 40% so don't trust the system. Here is the official limitations from Nissan, when I complained to them. This was given to me by the dealer on a printed paper by my dealer.

Pro pilot, intelligent cruise, Auto emergency
braking, rear cross traffic alert info
· Steering assist operates at 37mph and above
· A.E.B. operates 3mph to 50mph (will not detect stationary vehicles)
· A.E.B. operates 3mph to 37mph (will not detect small children or animals)
· R.C.T.A. operates under 5mph
· I.C.C. operates 20mph and up
· I.C.C. operates Omph-90mph when in use
· I.C.C. can only apply up to 40% of braking power (suggested use when speeds are fairly consistent)
· I.C.C. does not detect stationary, slow moving vehicles, pedestrians, objects, oncoming vehicles or motorcycles traveling offset in lane
· Pro pilot does not detect stationary and slow moving vehicles

What AEB DOES do is alert you to possible situations and its very cautious. Yesterday, I had my car alert me because of another car turning left in front of me. The car had a LOT of clearance and there was no real danger. I have to think my car simply was not understanding that I was also slowing to make a right turn?

Either way, the AEB would not have stopped me in time to avoid a collision but no matter. The alert is enough for me to "wake up" and take action.

As features like ProPilot become more common, it seems as though the chances of being rear-ended increase, if you are completely stopped on the freeway. This could encourage drivers to try to keep rolling at 2mph instead of stop-and-go. I've driven stick most of my life, so that comes naturally.

specialgreen said:
As features like ProPilot become more common, it seems as though the chances of being rear-ended increase, if you are completely stopped on the freeway. This could encourage drivers to try to keep rolling at 2mph instead of stop-and-go. I've driven stick most of my life, so that comes naturally.

I actually have a different take on the subject. E Pedal DOES use friction braking. Get on a quiet street and play with it at low speeds. You can hear the braking. But that speed is very low so to prevent that, I minimize my zero speed time as much as I can creeping up to the stopped traffic slowly. Of course it does not always work but what it does do is makes the driver behind me more alert since I am moving MUCH slower than the normal freeway creep forcing them to ride their brakes because their normal idle speed is much higher... ;)

specialgreen said:

Growing use of ProPilot/AutoPilot, as well as driverless rideshare and trucking will probably change human driving behavior. What happens to human drivers if every Uber car on the road starts obeying the speed limit? And who really wants to cut-off a Tesla self-driving semi truck just to see what happens?

Back