Help- End of Lease Advice for Dummy

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MalachiConstant said:
Yes, it still has all the bars. It also has the surround camera and Bose sound system. I suppose what I'm gleaning here is that I'm getting a good deal, but maybe if I contact NMAC they might give me an additional discount, or throw in some sort of tune-up or extra?

NMAC has handed the process entirely over to the dealerships. They are the ones you need to talk with about the residual and any perks.

IF the post above is correct that NMAC is taking over $5k off the the residual price if the dealership buys the car, it means that Nissan expects to lose that money if the car goes to auction. It also means that a car with a residual of $13k is bought by the dealership for ~ $8k.

SageBrush said:
IF the post above is correct that NMAC is taking over $5k off the the residual price if the dealership buys the car, it means that Nissan expects to lose that money if the car goes to auction. It also means that a car with a residual of $13k is bought by the dealership for ~ $8k.

You now understand the process. Think that's a big discount? I could have bought my 2013 SV in February of 2017 for $5k. The residual was something like $19k. In March of that year it would have been $6200. I almost bought it then, but by then I wasn't happy with the range anymore.

SageBrush said:

Well what NMAC discounts is a moving target but let me give you some history.

My 2011 residual was $13 K or so. I was mailed an offer to buy it (and get forgiveness for last 5-6 payments) for $6200. I turned it in and a few days later saw a "payment" made of $4500.

My 2013, I received no offers but was in Nov 2016 where EVERYONE was getting crazy discounts on lease buyouts. Residual was $11 K. I turned it in, picked up 2016 S 30 and a few days later, saw payment for $5400 on my NMAC account.

Both cars were retained by dealership and resold.

So it would seem the obvious conclusion is that NMAC is essentially offering dealerships a good enough deal that they are almost compelled to buy them for resale.

Now realize if the lessee does buy it, the dealer makes "some" money but does not have to carry insurance or the cost of detailing the car for resale. FYI; when I was in the car biz, a used car had to sell for nearly a $1000 profit to break even after expenses, etc. So a lessee buying the car probably reduces that cost to a few hundred...

LeftieBiker said:
SageBrush said:

Think that's a big discount? I could have bought my 2013 SV in February of 2017 for $5k. The residual was something like $19k. In March of that year it would have been $6200.
Was that an offer in writing from NMAC ?
And I'm still at a loss to explain why NMAC is not offering a similar deal to the lessee.

Was that an offer in writing from NMAC ?
And I'm still at a loss to explain why NMAC is not offering a similar deal to the lesse

The written offers were pretty uncommon in later years. At that point NMAC sent the discount schedule (which varied by year, model, and lease length, plus mileage, IIRC) to the dealers. Rather than disclose the discount, the dealers (the more honest ones, anyway) would give you a buyout price that reflected most of the discount. I got the prices by contacting a sales creature at a local dealership. There are a few examples of monthly discount tables posted in the end of lease strategies topic here, but we rarely saw them directly.

I keep getting offers on cars that I long ago traded in. I agree it is a come on to raise traffic. You can do as well any day of the week.

For example I traded my Tribeca for a 2012 Leaf. I constantly get dealer offers on the Subaru. I have not owned that car for at least five years.
I also get Nissan offers on cars that I no longer own. It is just a scam!

Back