Official BMW X5 xDrive40e thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like BMW may be the first to offer a PHEV SUV in the US. I did not see that coming.

With 13 miles of blended EV + Gas range, this is a very electrically weak offering. But having a plug is better than nothing. I just hope that future owners bother actually plugging the thing in! Many of the PiP drivers that I work with don't bother plugging in during the day, even though electricity here is cheaper than at home (commercial rates are lower than residential, and the company charges us for power basically at cost).

Seems pretty weak. Perhaps a stronger offering in the EU with congestion charges.
Curious how it feels to drive though.
Priced out with a moderate set of options that I would want, it came to about $79k.
I'd rather have a Model X.

Haven't checked into it myself but does this BMW have a mode that will auto charge up the battery through driving it ? This could alleviate the 'need' to plugging it in simply because the pure EV range is so low. I had the opportunity to drive an Audi A3 e-tron and while it also has a limited pure EV range, it has a driving mode where the ICE will charge the battery while you're driving for future use; say in stop & go traffic, etc. If it was at least 30 miles of range, I'd be set but it's not but still a bit better due to much less weight, etc. than this bimmer.

redLEAF said:
Haven't checked into it myself but does this BMW have a mode that will auto charge up the battery through driving it ? This could alleviate the 'need' to plugging it in simply because the pure EV range is so low. I had the opportunity to drive an Audi A3 e-tron and while it also has a limited pure EV range, it has a driving mode where the ICE will charge the battery while you're driving for future use; say in stop & go traffic, etc. If it was at least 30 miles of range, I'd be set but it's not but still a bit better due to much less weight, etc. than this bimmer.

It's not clear to me if it has a 'charge' mode or just a 'hold' mode. Here's what C&D had to say:
The powertrain has three different modes. Auto eDrive strives for the most efficient use of the powertrain; Max eDrive allows driving on electricity only; and Save Battery aims to maintain and raise the battery charge so it can be used at a later time.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2016-bmw-x5-xdrive40e-plug-in-hybrid-news

Could be read either way, depending on what they mean by "and raise"; regen, or using the ICE to charge it? Personally, I can't see that a charge mode makes sense, as it would seem to be less efficient than using the gas to move the car directly - fewer conversions. The sole reason I can think of for having it is to comply with ZEV-only limits in cities if you're low on battery approaching it, and the car would have to have some non-hackable way of indicating that it was running in electric mode for that. There was some discussion before production PHEVs were introduced of giving them a forward facing light that would indicate this, but I don't know of any manufacturer that's implemented it yet. Another option would be to use a fast-trak transponder or similar.

Via ABG:
2016 BMW X5 xDrive40e Review [w/video]
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/12/23/2016-bmw-x5-xdrive40e-review-video/

The article goes into considerable detail about the various driving modes, and it will charge the battery in 'Save' mode, although it's unclear to me if that's only due to regen:
Using Comfort/Save, a 25-mile freeway drive regenerates enough juice to cover about half a dozen miles in pure EV mode.
Is that stop and go driving? I can't see any way that typical freeway cruising could regen that much, so maybe the engine is charging it.

GRA said:
Using Comfort/Save, a 25-mile freeway drive regenerates enough juice to cover about half a dozen miles in pure EV mode.
Is that stop and go driving? I can't see any way that typical freeway cruising could regen that much, so maybe the engine is charging it.

I would assume it's due to the engine charging the battery. My CMax Energi likes to do this while cruising. One of the hypermiling tricks one has to learn is to avoid charging the battery when unnecessary. The extra charging/discharging results in energy losses, and lower efficiency, as compared to simply propelling the car with the gas engine.

I believe Europe has current / upcoming regulations about ICEs in city centers. The idea seems to be to let the engine charge the battery on the freeway between cities, and then switch to EV inside the city limits, efficiency be damned! The irony is that this results in more fuel use, although it does at least keep emissions out of the city.

Via GCC:
BMW introducing new X5 plug-in hybrid in Europe in 2019, US in 2020
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2018/09/20180907-bmw.html

. . . BMW will introduce a new X5 plug-in hybrid, the BMW X5 xDrive45e iPerformance, in Europe in 2019, to be followed by a US model in 2020. . . .

Consistent progress in the area of plug-hybrid drive has produced. . . a tangible enhancement in terms of electrically powered range and a significant reduction in fuel consumption and CO2 levels as compared to the predecessor model.

(Current specs refer to European models only. US specific vehicle information will be finalized closer to market launch in 2020 as a 2021 model year offering.)

The new BMW X5 xDrive45e iPerformance accelerates from zero to 100 km/h in 5.6 seconds—more than one second less than the predecessor model. The top speed when driving on electric power alone is increased from 120 to 140 km/h (75 mph to 87 mph).

Its electrically powered range is now approximately 80 kilometers (50 miles), almost three times that of its predecessor. The combined fuel consumption of the new BMW X5 xDrive45e iPerformance drops to 2.1 liters per 100 kilometers (112 mpg), while the relevant CO2 emissions figure is now 49 grams per kilometer.

These improved levels are the result of a completely newly developed drive technology. It comprises a 3.0-liter and 210 kW/286 hp in-line 6-cylinder engine from the current BMW EfficientDynamics drive family and the latest generation of BMW eDrive technology.

An electrical system output of 82 kW/112 hp, a lithium-ion battery with extended storage capacity and further developed power electronics for intelligent energy management give the plug-in hybrid system of the BMW X5 xDrive45e iPerformance unique performance characteristics as well as its efficiency.

Together, the two drive units generate a system output of 290 kW/394 hp along with a maximum system torque of 600 N·m (443 lb-ft). The combustion engine and electric motor deliver their power to an 8-speed Steptronic transmission of the latest generation and the intelligent all-wheel drive system BMW xDrive.

The drive torque is transferred to all four wheels when driving on electric power alone as well as when using the combustion engine or indeed both drive units: this ensures sporty driving pleasure on the road and supreme off-road performance over loose terrain at all times. The top speed of the BMW X5 xDrive45e iPerformance is 235 km/h (146 mph).

Thanks to the high-voltage battery positioned in the underbody area of the vehicle, the center of gravity is lower than in conventionally powered SAV model variants. The luggage compartment volume of the BMW X5 xDrive45e iPerformance is only some 150 liters (5.3 ft3) less . When all seats are used, the storage volume is 500 liters (17.7 ft3); if the rear backrests are folded down, a volume of 1,716 liters (60.6 ft3) is available.

The new BMW X5 xDrive45e iPerformance is fitted as standard with a two-axle air suspension and electronically controlled dampers. The optional suspension systems available for the plug-in hybrid model include integral active steering. In addition to a comprehensive selection of features in the area of intelligent connectivity, new digital services are also offered that are geared specifically towards electromobility.

In addition, all driver assistance systems developed for the Sports Activity Vehicle as well as high-quality options to enhance comfort and luxurious interior ambience are also available for the new BMW X5 xDrive45e iPerformance.
If only they could improve the name along with the rest of the vehicle! Supposedly the 50 miles was determined under WLTP but converted to allow comparison with the 30 km/19 miles of the older car under NEDC, so figure 30-35 miles EPA.

Back