Jaguar I-PACE BESUV available 2018

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JLR built a halo EV.

That's nice.
They might even sustain sales of a few hundred a month from London'ers with a fat corporate allowance and desire to avoid out of pocket congestion charges.

SageBrush said:
JLR built a halo EV.

That's nice.
They might even sustain sales of a couple hundred a month from London'ers with a fat corporate allowance and desire to avoid congestion charges.
Alternatively, they might seriously bite into Model S/X sales worldwide, as it's both an excellent vehicle and generally less expensive, not to mention the new kid on the block, while the S is now 6 years old and the X is 3. The market for cars priced like these is very much image dependent, so having the latest thing matters more than it would in a more pedestrian people mover. No one will be ooh and aah because you've got the latest Civic, Corolla, Camry or Accord. The relatively slow QC rate could be a moderate handicap, but then people who can afford this car can also afford to have others in their stable, as is the case with the Model S/X.

I gather this fellow is an Auto Writer and had an I-Pace for a couple of days. Interesting bits though. TLDR; he likes it.
Flipping through, the Wh/mi is pretty atrocious and what's with the 154 miles range at 100% SOC?
https://twitter.com/Jim_Holder
Weekend in the #Jaguar I-Pace. The game-changer tag is justified in so many ways, chiefly in the way passers by desire it rather than being merely intrigued by it (think Tesla). But...

....And finally (phew), yes, it is the most impressive car I’ve driven this year. And, yes, it changes the game in many ways. But, I fear, not the very most important ones. The niche for electric car ownership is widening, but it remains a niche.
IMO, if I-Pace is in fact a "game-changer" then it should cut into Jag's own sales of "Pace" cars and perhaps some of Tesla's. Competition is good. I def want a test drive. Still pingng my local Jag dlr.

Via IEVS:
Jaguar Delays Some I-Pace Deliveries Due To Manufacturing Issues / Prioritization
https://insideevs.com/jaguar-delays...s-due-to-manufacturing-issues-prioritization/

It seems that the more expensive “First Edition” variants are being built first . . .

According to Electrek, some customers have been issued delivery dates pushed back for several months. The dealers are stating the delays are due to “manufacturing issues,” while the company itself is stating they are simply “prioritizing” orders for just a few customers.

Customers were told by the British car maker that they might secure a delivery by the end of the year – if they reserved a vehicle early – and now, they are faced with a possible delivery date being pushed by months.

When Electrek contacted Jaguar, they got a confirmation about the production date start (scheduled for later this summer) and were told that some I-Pace customers are experiencing delays due to “prioritization”. While Jaguar may want to spin things around, it doesn’t look like customers are buying it. Call it what you want to call it, but a delay is still a delay – especially if you were promised a vehicle at a certain date.

“In some instances individual customers may have been informed of a delay regarding their order. This will be due to prioritisation of market specific orders to best meet the exceptional demand. . . .”

To bring more light to the story, Electrek reveals that several reservation holders have contacted them and confirmed the production delay issue. For instance, one reservation holder based in the UK told them that he placed a £1,000 deposit on March 5th, 2018. During that time, while not knowing too much about the vehicle itself, was told by the British car maker that placing a deposit then and there, would secure him a late 2018 delivery date.

Later in May, the customer was invited to his local Jaguar dealership to see the car in person. That’s when he configured his order . . . Even then, Jaguar insisted that everything will go according to schedule: the customer was given a build date start of August 31 and the delivery to the dealership was scheduled for September 28 – well within 2018, as promised.

Even as July 20th approached – the last day the customer could modify the order – he was still confident that his vehicle would arrive on time. Instead of changing his order, this would-be I-Pace owner called the dealership to ensure everything is going according to plan. But, an unwelcome surprise was in stall. The dealership informed the customer that a “manufacturing delay” was at hand, and gave him a new February 6th delivery date – over 4 months over his original delivery date.

According to Jaguar, the first customer deliveries are still planned to start “late this summer”. Various sources reveal that none of the orders that have been delayed are the First Edition. Starting at $86,895 instead of $70,495, the First Edition is much more expensive than the standard version. While still unconfirmed, it looks like that Jaguar is doing a similar business move as Tesla did with the Model 3; they are producing the more expensive and much more lucrative models first. . . .

real world range tests are not showing promising results. I'd be curious to see if there is something wrong with the cars that were used. 65% of the rated distance is not good, in fact it is downright bad. My guess is that there is something wrong with the test vehicle or the the way it was performed. It is something to watch for.

http://autobest.org/first-european-independent-ev-real-range-test-press-release/

palmermd said:
real world range tests are not showing promising results. I'd be curious to see if there is something wrong with the cars that were used. 65% of the rated distance is not good, in fact it is downright bad. My guess is that there is something wrong with the test vehicle or the the way it was performed. It is something to watch for.

http://autobest.org/first-european-independent-ev-real-range-test-press-release/
The article did note that the car was pre-production, so we'll have to wait for a test with the definitive version. The I-Pace never wowed with its range in any case, for the size of its pack.

Via IEVS:
Jaguar I-Pace Versus Tesla Model S – Autocar’s Take
https://insideevs.com/jaguar-i-pace-versus-tesla-model-s-autocar/

. . . Perhaps not surprisingly, they give the prize at the end to the I-Pace as in their opinion it beats the electric pioneer on any number of their applied metrics. While they note that the Tesla has “convincingly” more luggage space, they feel the size of the two interiors makes them best suited for four passengers, despite the Model S having a few inches of width on its opponent. When it comes to the interior design, they lean decidedly away from the more spartan sedan toward the “plush” confines of the Brit.

On the road, they note that the suspension on the Tesla seems less well-damped at low speeds, but is smoother than the I-Pace once the wick is turned up. This is something that may come into play when discussing handling as well, where they give the Jaguar a decidedly higher score. The thing is, we don’t know what mode the Model S is being driven in. It may well have more wallow and a lighter steering feel than the crossover in Comfort mode, but it’s a different beast when put in Sport mode.

It is a pretty interesting write-up, though. There’s no doubt that fans of the battery-power Jaguar will feel vindicated, while Tesla supporters may feel not enough weight was given to certain facets where the Model S clearly leads — range, charging speed, charging infrastructure, and efficiency. We’ll try to withhold judgment of their judgment overall until we can do our own side-by-side shootout, but to our minds the two contenders here are both winners here. The Jaguar offers a solid stylish and competent alternative to the aging Tesla and should have the company puzzling over how to build more of them. The Model S, despite becoming long of tooth, still shows it can keep up with the rookie in some important aspects.
Direct link to full Autocar article: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/tesla-model-s-vs-jaguar-i-pace-ev-twin-test

I've had a request in to local Jag/Range Rover dealer to test drive an I-Pace for about 9 mos.
They've sent 3 offers to "get me into" an F-Pace but crickets still on the I-Pace. I really want to drive one.
For comparison, my local Tesla showroom just contacted me about test-driving a Model P3D next week. They know I'm a 3 owner and leased an X so perhaps some consideration is being given.
They offered a test drive on a course that would allow me to really get a feel for the performance. Very curious where this course is. I asked if I could take one out for a day and they said yes. But, it will be another 2 weeks while they await another test drive vehicle.
So, the I-Pace is on hold it seems. Tesla seems to be trying harder.

Via IEVS:
UK Ambassador Goes Road-Tripping In U.S. In Jaguar I-Pace
https://insideevs.com/uk-ambassador-us-jaguar-i-pace/

This week, Kim Darroch, the U.K. Ambassador to the United States is taking a road trip across the Midwest. Darroch is using a borrowed Jaguar I-Pace in order to meet with the officials from local states that are maintaining high clean-energy standards even as the Trump administration rolls back federal environmental rules.

Just shortly before taking the trip, the ambassador spoke with CNBC, giving us the short rundown of the whole trip. According to the news outlet, the main goal of the trip is to promote American and British cooperation on both low and completely emission-free vehicles, alongside other clean-energy initiatives. . . .

Some of the people Darroch is set to meet this week are state and city politicians. These include people like Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder, Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton and Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel. Furthermore, the ambassador will visit several facilities dedicated to scientific research of new energy technologies, such as the Argonne National Laboratory. Additionally, in the states of Michigan, Minnesota, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin that Darroch is visiting, some 150,000 people are employed by British companies established there. . . .

GRA said:
smkettner said:
Dealer called today. I-Pace for test drive should be in on Saturday :D
Please let us know what range is on the Monroney (if there is one), if we still haven't heard anything official yet.
You mean the official window sticker specs?
Test drive was a pre-production prototype, no sticker. Only traveled a few miles and will just say this is an incredibly nice vehicle.

Word I get is production demonstrators s/b out in October.

Via IEVS:
Jaguar Delivers First I-PACE In U.S. – Owner Not A Fan Of Tesla’s Style
https://insideevs.com/jaguar-delivers-first-i-pace-usa/

Jaguar has delivered the first I-PACE in North America to Mark and Holly Pascarella of Lakewood Ranch, Florida. Both of whom are the loyal customers to the brand.

It’s the first electric car in the family and according to Mark Pascarella, the I-PACE better fits his taste than a Tesla or any premium plug-in hybrids (sounds like confirmation that more conservative interiors find fans too).

• “I’ve looked at Tesla in the past and was never impressed with their interiors or looks of the car, but when I saw the I-PACE, I said that’s something I’d like to drive.”

“As I mentioned I’m not a fan of Tesla’s finishes and I haven’t been impressed with any of the luxury hybrids out there. . . .”
This is first EV, and the seventh Jag the family's bought: two XKRs, an XJ, two F-Types and an F-Pace. He really likes the service he gets from his dealer.

Back