xhaltsalute
Delivery Date: 18 Jul 2018
Leaf Number: 314564

Re: Nissan finally gets it with new 240V portable EVSE

Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:04 am

Thanks for the responses. I understand outdoor plugs need to be GFCI and must be covered, per the National Electrical Code, which my local government enforces. My question was more about whether the EVSE (the entire unit that will be plugged into the outdoor RV plug, the cable, and the J-handle that goes into the car) is OK for outdoor use. There's a large "brick-like" portion (this would be supported by the included bracket) and I don't know if the "brick-like" portion needs to be protected from the elements or not. Probably a shield (or housing) of some sort would be advisable, but Nissan doesn't speak to this in the Owner's Manual. I suppose they think that we're all going to put that portable EVSE in the trunk each day...

electricsal
Delivery Date: 18 Jun 2018

Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:04 am

xhaltsalute wrote:I'm hoping some of the uber-knowledgeable people on this board can help me out with some advice/opinions. I recently purchased a 2018 Leaf SL which came with the portable 240v EVSE (along with the adapter to plug in to a regular 110v outlet). I am planning on having an "RV plug" (NEMA14-50) installed by a licensed electrician so that I can achieve Level 2 charging at home. I do not have a garage and my car is parked in my driveway. I am planning on having the plug mounted on one of the support posts of my side porch. My main question is: can the EVSE that came with the car safely be used outdoors? (I would also be installing the bracket that came with the EVSE which presumably supports it sufficiently).

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

I installed my portable charger on the side of my house. I used a weather proof box, it plugs right in with a lockable cover(so no one steals your charger) Also purchased nozzle holder which i attatched to the box. Also purchased a level 1 (120 volt) portable charger ($260) to keep in the car. Installed it myself as i am a licensed electrician. Purchased everything on Amazon.ca. I have a pic, not sure how to post it
Amused To Death

HerdingElectrons
Delivery Date: 17 Sep 2018

Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:34 pm

electrical wrote:I installed my portable charger on the side of my house. I used a weather proof box, it plugs right in with a lockable cover(so no one steals your charger) Also purchased nozzle holder which i attatched to the box. Also purchased a level 1 (120 volt) portable charger ($260) to keep in the car. Installed it myself as i am a licensed electrician. Purchased everything on Amazon.ca. I have a pic, not sure how to post it

Upload the image on imgur & then post the URL to the image
2018 SL Pearl White, LOVE ProPilot Currently at 4.1-4.5 miles/kwh as I learn to drive pure EV & the weather gets colder.

Sept 2018: AHr= 114.52 / SOH= 99.2 / HX= 99.70% / 14 mV cell delta

2013 Prius 2, 126K & still really enjoy the car

Return to “LEAF Gen 2 & Infiniti EV”