Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
How do you "not lock" your Tesla? They auto-lock unless the car is still on, or one of the doors are ajar.
Auto-lock is a default setting. I turned it off.

scottf200 said:
MSRP $82.0K - BMW M3 Competition
MSRP $72.5K - Tesla Model 3 Performance

Title: Battle of the 3s - Tesla Model 3 Performance vs BMW M3 Competition 1/4 Mile Drag Racing + VBOX Data
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7EFiqEyv_c[/youtube]

Talk to drivers 7 minutes into the videohttps://youtu.be/n7EFiqEyv_c?t=425

I drove a M3P for an hour yesterday. It is everything they say it is and more. The only complaint I have is the lack of full bolsters on the seats and the white fabric is too soft and makes the seats fee like mush. Other than that it is amazing.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...v9-0-early-access-builds.129936/#post-3065542

Navigate on Autopilot (Beta)- Model 3, US ONLY!
Introducing Navigate on Autopilot (Beta) — our newest Autopilot convenience feature, designed to get you to your destination more efficiently by guiding your car on and off the highway. Navigate on Autopilot intelligently suggests lane changes to keep you on your route in addition to making adjustments so you don’t get stuck behind slow cars or trucks.
When Navigate on Autopilot is active, a single blue line indicates the path ahead, keeping your car in the lane. Gray lines highlight lane changes for a more efficient driving route. Navigate on Autopilot will also automatically steer toward and take the correct highway interchanges and exits based on your destination.
You can enable Navigate on Autopilot by going to Controls > Autopilot and first enabling Autosteer. For each route where Navigate on Autopilot is available, you have the option of enabling the feature by pressing the button located in the Navigation Turn List.

Combining Autosteer and Auto Lane Change - All cars with any AP
Autosteer (Beta) and Auto Lane Change settings are now combined under Controls > Autopilot. When Autosteer (Beta) is ON, engaging the turn signal will activate Auto Lane Change to move your car into an adjacent driving lane.

Blindspot Warning - Model 3
To improve safety and increase confidence when changing lanes, the lane line on the touchscreen now turns red when your turn signal is engaged and a vehicle or obstacle is detected in your target lane.

Dashcam - All models with AP2.5
You can now record and store video footage captured by your car’s forward facing camera onto a USB flash drive. Note that you must manually add a base-level folder in the flash drive called “TeslaCam” (without quotation marks) before it can be used for Dashcam. Refer to the Owner’s Manual for details on how to use Dashcam.

Mobile App - All cars
  • With this car software version, you can now do even more with your vehicle from your mobile app.
  • You can now start navigation in your car by using the share button in your favorite phone apps. In iOS, you can enable sharing to your vehicle by opening up the app you want to share from, tapping the More button in your sharing menu, and then scrolling to the right until you find your vehicle.
  • You can also allow your passengers to quickly control the media. Play/pause, previous/skip, and cycle through your media favorites. Note:
  • You can disable this feature by going to Media Settings > Allow Mobile Control.
  • Whenever there's a software update available for your vehicle, you can conveniently start the update from your phone. A notification will be sent to other drivers of your car, and they’ll have a few minutes to cancel the update from their app.
  • Note: these features require mobile software version 3.6.0 or above.

Calendar - Model 3
The Calendar app allows you to view your phone’s calendar for the current and next day. The Calendar is conveniently integrated with Phone and Navigation so you can dial into a meeting or route to your next meeting with a single tap. For events to appear, you must connect your phone to your car via Bluetooth and allow calendar access by enabling Calendar Sync in the Tesla mobile app settings.

Application Launcher - Model 3
Located at the bottom of your touchscreen, the new application launcher brings all your apps together in one place, including your Calendar, Energy, Web Browser, Rear View Camera, Phone and Charging apps. You can also access your last-used app by swiping upward.

Energy App - Model 3
View energy consumption in real time for your Model 3. When there is an active navigation route, touch the Trip tab to view the projected energy consumption for the trip.

Web Browser - Model 3
The Web browser app allows you to access the internet. Navigate to your desired website by entering the URL in the address bar. Easily return to your favorite sites by adding them to your Favorite using the heart icons.

Status Bar - Model 3
The status bar has been rearranged to make the time and temperature easier to view at a glance.

Climate Control - Model 3
It's now easier to direct airflow where you want it with the new Model 3 Airwave visualization. When you're done, you can now simply swipe the Climate panel down to dismiss. The temperature settings on the bottom bar can now be controlled with a simple swipe: swipe to the left to lower the setting, or to the right to raise it. Tapping or pressing and holding the control will continue to work as before. As before, if you'd like to have different passenger and driver temperatures, simply unsync to reveal two temperature settings.

Navigation - M3
Directions have been moved to the left side of the screen, and simplified to display relevant upcoming information—including highway exits, when applicable. Tap or pull down to see additional details in the full Trip Overview. Navigation settings including voice guidance volume can easily be adjusted by tapping the settings icon on the touchscreen map.

Use HOV Lanes - S/X/3 - US, Canada, Mexico
To improve Navigation’s ability to provide relevant instructions, you can now select whether or not your vehicle is eligible for high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes. When enabled, Navigation will route you though HOV lanes. When disabled, Navigation avoids routing you through HOV lanes. Tap the settings icon on the bottom corner of the map then enable or disable Use HOV Lanes as desired.

Glad my son could be part of this! He picked his TM3D up last Fri.

n67EJjo.jpg

scottf200 said:
Glad my son could be part of this! He picked his TM3D up last Fri.

n67EJjo.jpg

But will Tesla be profitable in Q3? That's the real issue, i.e. working off the 2016 order backlog has been a given at $50K+ per M3.
Again, will Tesla ever be able to deliver a $35K M3 profitability, where the needed sales volume exists for long term viability?
At the existing MS/MX run rate, their sales are basically flat to down versus 2017.

My friend got his TM3 dual motor this quarter during the rush and loves it of course. Mine is up to nearly 10k miles and it’s a really great car with less than 1% battery degradation. This is the first car I’ve ever bought where my mind isn’t wondering what comes after it for me. I’m good and at this point just plan to drive it into the ground. I’m just totally satisfied.

22,250 Model 3s in one month in one market with no leasing program, finance incentives, advertising, or factory rebates is absolutely bananas. There’s inherent demand for this product.

Throw in any mix of the smaller battery, standard interior, leasing, or additional markets and they have demand for the foreseeable future. Tesla is on track to sell >225,000 units in calendar 2018. Unreal.

Can we stop pretending that even if Tesla shows a "profit" on paper that they are actually profitable. What profitable company has to have "volunteers" help deliver product because they haven't invested in the resources to actually get their product to market. Let's be honest here, the reason Tesla has no competition is that no sane company is willing to lose so much money and to under invest in transportation, logistics, sales, service and warranty reserve. Let's stop pretending that they can fund future growth on sales alone and that there isn't a capital raise coming. The market certainly seems to be pricing something in.

I'm not one of those who believes Tesla is a fraud and has no future. I also believe that the product cannot be as bad as the shorts would have us believe though my first hand knowledge is limited. But, at some point, the management of this company has to start behaving in a adult manner - and they have to show a real profit. The hype train can only take you so far and they pumped Q3 about as much as a company can pump a quarter before Elon was muzzled. Q4 will be very interesting.

Joe6pack said:
I also believe that the product cannot be as bad as the shorts would have us believe though my first hand knowledge is limited. But, at some point, the management of this company has to start behaving in a adult manner - and they have to show a real profit. The hype train can only take you so far and they pumped Q3 about as much as a company can pump a quarter before Elon was muzzled. Q4 will be very interesting.

I don't think it's as much an issue of the product being bad as it is about being on the bleeding edge. That and the old-fashioned concept about actually making a real profit, as you point out. It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds. I have no stake on either side of the TSLA drama but it's interesting to watch. I just wish folks could not get so emotional about their viewpoints but maybe that comes with the territory when one's 'faith' appears to be attacked.

I've been a EE for 30+ years and I have to say Tesla's tech is impressive. I also work for a company that manufactures millions of devices a quarter so I know that there is a lot more required than good tech. Back in the bad old days of my business, the joke in the lab was 'well....we're losing a $1 on every unit but we'll make it up on volume'. Of course, that didn't work but more investors and more money always showed up and now profit sharing bonuses are the norm rather than the exception. Hopefully Tesla will make it over the long term too but it's far from over.

Joe6pack said:
Can we stop pretending that even if Tesla shows a "profit" on paper that they are actually profitable. What profitable company has to have "volunteers" help deliver product because they haven't invested in the resources to actually get their product to market.
Well, if volunteers would help in delivery, every automaker will take it. As is they have to employ 30,000+ people and pay them a lot of money to deliver cars.

In 2010, Carlos Ghosn said they will make 150k EVs a year. That hasn't happened yet.

So, if you care about EVs, you should be very happy Tesla is actually selling some 300k EVs a year now.

Joe6pack said:
Can we stop pretending that even if Tesla shows a "profit" on paper that they are actually profitable. What profitable company has to have "volunteers" help deliver product because they haven't invested in the resources to actually get their product to market. Let's be honest here, the reason Tesla has no competition is that no sane company is willing to lose so much money and to under invest in transportation, logistics, sales, service and warranty reserve. Let's stop pretending that they can fund future growth on sales alone and that there isn't a capital raise coming. The market certainly seems to be pricing something in.

I'm not one of those who believes Tesla is a fraud and has no future. I also believe that the product cannot be as bad as the shorts would have us believe though my first hand knowledge is limited. But, at some point, the management of this company has to start behaving in a adult manner - and they have to show a real profit. The hype train can only take you so far and they pumped Q3 about as much as a company can pump a quarter before Elon was muzzled. Q4 will be very interesting.

Tesla is basically no different than any other company undergoing very rapid growth.
They make a ton of money. They then spend a ton of money expanding. In the past, they have spent more expanding than they make. This quarter, it is looking like they are spending about the same they are making.
Next quarter, if all goes as planned, spending will go down, earnings will continue to go up, or a combination of the two.
Meanwhile, hopefully, other manufacturers and dealers will step up and start delivering more EVs.

As for the volunteers, what other car company HAS customers so overjoyed with their product that they are willing to volunteer? Or even bring the service center crew lunch, donuts, etc.

GCR's view:
Tesla Model 3 is fifth bestselling car in U.S., production still short of profitability goal
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...-production-still-short-of-profitability-goal

Tesla announced Tuesday that it delivered 55,843 Model 3s between July and September, confirming reports that the company's mass-market electric is the fifth bestselling car model in the United States.

That slightly exceeded the number of Model 3s Tesla said it produced in the third quarter: 53,239. It indicates that the company still hasn't approached, at any sustained level over a longer time, chief executive Elon Musk's goal of producing 5,000 of the cars per week. Averaged over the quarter, the production number comes out to 4,295 cars per week.

Musk said in a tweet in May that the company would need to sustain production of 5,000 Model 3s per week to make a profit on the critical car and to survive. . . .
They've been cutting costs where they can (barring the odd $20m for fines), so we'll have to see what the Q3 report says. I think we've got more than enough chaos in our national politics, so it's really helpful that Tesla will now have an independent CoB and some directors with the power to muzzle Elon, and hopefully the turmoil of the past few months is now behind them. It's high time for the company to behave like grownups.

GRA said:
so it's really helpful that Tesla will now have an independent CoB and some directors with the power to muzzle Elon, and hopefully the turmoil of the past few months is now behind them.

Really? And how are you able conclude that? Are you aware that he owns about 40% of Tesla and because of that he'll have
a significant overall influence who is the new chairman/policies and who gets elected to the board, if it's changed at all.

Bottom Line: Elon Musk just lost the title of chairman, .1% of his wealth, and the shareholders lost less than .05% of their wealth.
Most likely more shareholder wealth will have been lost when the Q3 report arrives. Remember, Tesla gave away about $18K
of shareholder wealth with each vehicle sold in Q2. Obviously in Q3, given the M3 volume, it won't be as great, e.g. less than $1K - $2K
per vehicle sold.

lorenfb said:
GRA said:
so it's really helpful that Tesla will now have an independent CoB and some directors with the power to muzzle Elon, and hopefully the turmoil of the past few months is now behind them.

Really? And how are you able conclude that? Are you aware that he owns about 40% of Tesla and because of that he'll have
a significant overall influence who is the new chairman/policies and who gets elected to the board, if it's changed at all.

Bottom Line: Elon Musk just lost the title of chairman, .1% of his wealth, and the shareholders lost less than .05% of their wealth.
Most likely more shareholder wealth will have been lost when the Q3 report arrives. Remember, Tesla gave away about $18K
of shareholder wealth with each vehicle sold in Q2. Obviously in Q3, given the M3 volume, it won't be as great, e.g. less than $1K - $2K
per vehicle sold.
Sure the fine was a small portion of his wealth (BTW, he owns about 20% of Tesla, not 40%) but the terms of the settlement included:

Musk will step down as Tesla’s Chairman and be replaced by an independent Chairman. Musk will be ineligible to be re-elected Chairman for three years;

Tesla will appoint a total of two new independent directors to its board;

Tesla will establish a new committee of independent directors and put in place additional controls and procedures to oversee Musk’s communications
I consider it unrealistic to expect the SEC to allow Elon to go on as before with just a slap on the wrist, so I fully expect them to monitor future corporate communications closely.

In other news, via IEVS:
Tesla Model 3 Races Past Toyota Corolla In U.S. Passenger Car Sales
https://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-sales-pass-toyota-corolla/

22,750 (est.) vs. 20,797, putting it in 4th place in sales among passenger cars for the month, behind only the rest of the group I call the Civcamcordorolla. Ford, GM and Ram pickups maintain their spots at the top of the sales chart, as they have for decades. While this still represents working off the backlog and I don't believe that sales can continue at a similar level once the backlog is gone, it's still very encouraging.

nonot
GRA said:
lorenfb said:
GRA said:

per vehicle sold.
Sure the fine was a small portion of his wealth (BTW, he owns about 20% of Tesla, not 40%) but the terms of the settlement included:

Musk will step down as Tesla’s Chairman and be replaced by an independent Chairman. Musk will be ineligible to be re-elected Chairman for three years;

Tesla will appoint a total of two new independent directors to its board;

Tesla will establish a new committee of independent directors and put in place additional controls and procedures to oversee Musk’s communications
I consider it unrealistic to expect the SEC to allow Elon to go on as before with just a slap on the wrist, so I fully expect them to monitor future corporate communications closely.

So it's you that feels it's unrealistic, right? Have you seen specific/enumerated SEC guidelines for Musk, other than what
you've stated? With regard to a new chairman, Musk still has significant influence over that decision and significant influence
over the new chairman's decisions. Besides, the SEC has no control over who the next chairman is. As still CEO, Musk has the all
authority to fully run Tesla based on his strategy and views. So what if Musk no longer communicates about financial decisions
and pro-forma data, he still can communicate, e.g. tweet, about basically everything else about Tesla. The SEC has no control over
what he tweets about his strategy/goals for Tesla as a CEO. Yes Musk has an ego, but it's doubtful that the SEC's ruling has affected
that much and will not significantly curb his modus operandi, i.e. he'll have plenty of wiggle room.

GRA said:
While this still represents working off the backlog and I don't believe that sales can continue at a similar level once the backlog is gone, it's still very encouraging.

I wouldn't disagree with this. To some extent, this is just working down the backlog. If Tesla could have produced and delivered 100,000 vehicles in a month, they could have sold and delivered every last one. So yes, there is some truth to the fact that once the backlog is gone, we will see a truer representation of the demand, and it is reasonable to assume that it will be less than the pent up backlog.

Not only that, but without a second factory (not due to come online until 2020), once Tesla decides to open up sales internationally, then there will be supply-constrained limit to what they can allocate to the US as they work through that pent up international backlog. Even at steady state, and assuming they are successful in expanding production to 10K Model 3's out of Fremont, this would suggest a supply cap of about 22K/month for US sales.

On the other hand, I think that getting all those backlog vehicles into driveways across the country will in turn spur plenty of additional demand as neighbors start to hear anecdotes about the car and the cars start becoming more visible and recognizable (and thus acceptable) on the road. And for sure this is putting the cart before the horse, but as the car becomes more popular, one would think that political pressure might develop to ease the laws that prevent Tesla from opening additional (or even any) stores in certain states which would remove yet another barrier to demand.

Of course all of this may pale in comparison to the potential demand for the unannounced Model Y which still appears to be quite some time out (which again, is "fortunate" since Tesla doesn't have a place to build them yet anyway).

lpickup said:
GRA said:
While this still represents working off the backlog and I don't believe that sales can continue at a similar level once the backlog is gone, it's still very encouraging.

I wouldn't disagree with this. To some extent, this is just working down the backlog. If Tesla could have produced and delivered 100,000 vehicles in a month, they could have sold and delivered every last one. So yes, there is some truth to the fact that once the backlog is gone, we will see a truer representation of the demand, and it is reasonable to assume that it will be less than the pent up backlog.

Not only that, but without a second factory (not due to come online until 2020), once Tesla decides to open up sales internationally, then there will be supply-constrained limit to what they can allocate to the US as they work through that pent up international backlog. Even at steady state, and assuming they are successful in expanding production to 10K Model 3's out of Fremont, this would suggest a supply cap of about 22K/month for US sales.

On the other hand, I think that getting all those backlog vehicles into driveways across the country will in turn spur plenty of additional demand as neighbors start to hear anecdotes about the car and the cars start becoming more visible and recognizable (and thus acceptable) on the road. And for sure this is putting the cart before the horse, but as the car becomes more popular, one would think that political pressure might develop to ease the laws that prevent Tesla from opening additional (or even any) stores in certain states which would remove yet another barrier to demand.

Of course all of this may pale in comparison to the potential demand for the unannounced Model Y which still appears to be quite some time out (which again, is "fortunate" since Tesla doesn't have a place to build them yet anyway).

Actually, Tesla has taken a sizeable market share from BMW & M/B with the M3 in the $50K+ segment, which leaves little growth
potential there. To achieve any real growth potential beyond that, Tesla needs the $35K M3. But with the M3 at significantly less
less than $50K+, e.g. $35K, Tesla's losses increase again. Yes, the deliveries of M3 working off its backlog at $50K+ will give Tesla
some "breathing room" in the near term. Remember, there're competitive threats on the horizon in 2019, e.g. corporate VW.

palmermd said:
lorenfb said:
Remember, there're competitive threats on the horizon in 2019, e.g. corporate VW.

I'm curious what car you see getting released by VW in 2019 that will be a threat to Model 3.

Most all other automotive manufacturers are not like Telsa announcing vehicles, e.g. the M3/MY, years ahead before volume deliveries
can be made!

lorenfb said:
palmermd said:
lorenfb said:
Remember, there're competitive threats on the horizon in 2019, e.g. corporate VW.

I'm curious what car you see getting released by VW in 2019 that will be a threat to Model 3.

Most all other automotive manufacturers are not like Telsa announcing vehicles, e.g. the M3/MY, years ahead before volume deliveries
can be made!
but we're not talking years you said 2019 which means the car would come out between now and a year from now

No announcements no spy photos no anything, I find that hard to believe

Back