Radio text messaging alerts

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tsiah

So... Maybe this is a problem with my phone, but my stupid radio is giving me 3 notification sounds every time someone texts me. It also displays the same name for every person who texts me. I've tried deleting and reconnecting the phone, it downloads the phone book and does the same thing. I've turned off the phone notifications in the radio and it still notifies me 3 times. This is beyond irritating. Does anyone have any ideas to fix this? Is there a hard reset on the radio?

What phone OS and version? Also, brand and model of phone? If bought thru a carrier, that can make a difference. Long ago, Verizon was known to do goofy stuff (e.g. limiting features) on their phones.

I believe starting w/model year '15, the UI and features on the stereo changed significantly from those before. http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2015-nissan-leaf-press-kit
Added to the EV-IT system for 2015 are Voice Destination Entry (VDE) and Hands-Free Text Messaging Assistant (part of NissanConnectSM), drivers can manage incoming text messages via voice control without taking their hands from the wheel or eyes off the road. Drivers are alerted to an incoming text and, after initiating the system, can hear the text read out loud and respond via voice recognition, or via the steering wheel switches using pre-set answers such as "driving, can't text," "on my way," "running late," "okay" or a custom message.
I definitely don't have any of the above on my '13 SV w/premium. I use an iPhone 8 w/iOS 11.4.1. Have been using iPhones w/Leaf ('13 SV w/premium) since maybe the iPhone 5.

OnePlus 6, Android Pie. Now that I think about it, It just started doing multiple notifications after the update but has been doing the thing with the name of the text sender for months... Maybe I'll just switch to an old phone and see what happens. I don't get how the phone or OS affects what the car radio is doing.

Tsiah said:
OnePlus 6, Android Pie. Now that I think about it, It just started doing multiple notifications after the update but has been doing the thing with the name of the text sender for months... Maybe I'll just switch to an old phone and see what happens. I don't get how the phone or OS affects what the car radio is doing.
There's a lot more to Bluetooth than that you might be aware of (e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bluetooth_profiles#Phone_Book_Access_Profile_(PBAP,_PBA) and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bluetooth_profiles#Message_Access_Profile_(MAP)).

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/phone-by-google/hM4XlGsdmeI/bHBaw7DNEAAJ might be related?

There are also complications with different Bluetooth hardware on the phone side and different possible pieces of the software stack, including device drivers. I don't know if you're running pure Android or something modified by the OEM. Some Android phone makers heavily modify Android.

I don't have a phone w/Android Pie. My Android phone is an Nexus 5X stuck on Android 8.1. Off the top of my head, it will probably never receive Pie and it will be dead-ended next month by Google. I also don't have my Android phone paired w/my car.

IIRC, some Android phones ship with multiple apps that can handle SMS. One might even be from the carrier.

Googling for oneplus 6 sms notifications turned up https://www.gottabemobile.com/how-to-change-oneplus-6-text-message-app/, for example.
Older Android devices received double notifications if you downloaded a second text message app. That won’t happen if you follow our steps. Android won’t let two be set as “default” at the same time. Additionally, many apps like Textra will have a big Set As Default button at the bottom when you first open it. Making this process even easier.

Now that you set a new app as the default for text, that’s the only program that will be able to send, receive, or alert you about messages....
Every phone can be kinda different on what they do when there's something incoming. I had a non-smartphone long ago (before I think even the 1st iPhone shipped) that would by default speak the name of the caller aloud (or the phone #, if not in the its phonebook) over Bluetooth. Other phones I've had can't do that. I believe iOS has had that feature for a little while but it's not on by default and I've not turned it on.

It's not that the phone is getting 3 notifications, it's that the car is making 3 tones for every text that comes in even though I have message tones turned off within the radio.

Ok so...I forgot that the text message ringtone and phone ringtone are 2 separate settings in the radio. I'm not sure how the tone for text messages got turned back on because I turned it off before. I turned off both again and I'm no longer getting the noise when I get a text. I'm not sure what the cause of the 3 notifications for each message was, but it seems to have resolved itself. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back