Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
palmermd said:
lorenfb said:
palmermd said:
I'm curious what car you see getting released by VW in 2019 that will be a threat to Model 3.

Most all other automotive manufacturers are not like Telsa announcing vehicles, e.g. the M3/MY, years ahead before volume deliveries
can be made!
but we're not talking years you said 2019 which means the car would come out between now and a year from now

No announcements no spy photos no anything, I find that hard to believe
And, via IEVS:
Volkswagen Hits Electric Car Speed Bump, Delays I.D. Hatch Launch
https://insideevs.com/volkswagen-electric-car-delay-id-hatch/

Volkswagen MEB-based EVs are delayed.

It seems that mass-production of Volkswagen‘s MEB-based electric cars is likely already delayed by at least a few months, as the company now states market launch in 2020, from the previous projection of late 2019 (likely November), according to media reports.

Production of the first model, Volkswagen I.D. hatchback in Zwickau, Germany still is expected to hit 100,000 units in the first year, but it’s now unclear whether the Volkswagen I.D. CROZZ (scheduled for 2020) will be delayed a little bit too, which would mean that market launch in the U.S. might then move to 2021, maybe. . . .

lorenfb said:
lorenfb said:
nonot
GRA said:
Sure the fine was a small portion of his wealth (BTW, he owns about 20% of Tesla, not 40%) but the terms of the settlement included:

I consider it unrealistic to expect the SEC to allow Elon to go on as before with just a slap on the wrist, so I fully expect them to monitor future corporate communications closely.

So it's you that feels it's unrealistic, right? Have you seen specific/enumerated SEC guidelines for Musk, other than what
you've stated? With regard to a new chairman, Musk still has significant influence over that decision and significant influence
over the new chairman's decisions. Besides, the SEC has no control over who the next chairman is. As still CEO, Musk has the all
authority to fully run Tesla based on his strategy and views. So what if Musk no longer communicates about financial decisions
and pro-forma data, he still can communicate, e.g. tweet, about basically everything else about Tesla. The SEC has no control over
what he tweets about his strategy/goals for Tesla as a CEO. Yes Musk has an ego, but it's doubtful that the SEC's ruling has affected
that much and will not significantly curb his modus operandi, i.e. he'll have plenty of wiggle room.

Well, so much for my previous view, i.e. now he's tweeting stupid comments about the SEC. The guy is a joke & HOPELESS!
We in SoCal had a few state facilities for guys like Musk, until they were closed down during the Reagan administration.

Musk sent the tweet referring to the "Shortseller Enrichment Commission" hours after the judge handling his settlement agreement with the SEC ordered both parties to explain why the court should approve it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/05/tesla-shares-drop-nearly-5percent-after-musk-mocks-sec-on-twitter.html
Since nothing in these tweets is illegal, it seems more a freedom of speech issue, and thus outside the SEC's purview. Dumb and unnecessary, sure, but not something that requires regulation, unlike making claims about non-existent funding. That's where he really needs to be muzzled, and where he will be (or the SEC won't just give him a relatively small penalty).
Tesla CEO Elon Musk's use of Twitter is dangerous and needs to be controlled by the company's board — but he hasn't done anything to create another problem with the Securities and Exchange Commission, former SEC Chair Harvey Pitt told CNBC on Friday. . . .

"It demonstrates why the SEC was spot on in requiring as part of its settlement with Musk that the board exercise meaningful control over his tweets," Pitt said in an interview with "Power Lunch."

"But this tweet, as silly and obnoxious as it is, does not do anything other than express his erroneous view. It doesn't relate to the securities laws, and it doesn't even relate to his settlement. So he's allowed to express his views . . . ."[/list]

However, the agreement hit a snag on Thursday after the federal judge assigned to approve it asked the parties to justify the settlement.

Pitt said it's entirely possible the judge may ask Tesla attorneys exactly how they intend to control Musk's tweets.

"This is now a real issue for the judge," he said. . . .

Pitt said Musk's latest tweet on the SEC riles up investors and makes them "worry about the rationality of the person who is supposed to be running this company."

"His tweets are precipitous, mercurial and dangerous [but] … it's up to the board to try and figure out how they can cabin these impulses he seems to have while making use of his creative genius," he said.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/05/musks-tweets-are-dangerous-says-former-sec-chair-harvey-pitt.html

Musk must be listening to somebody, whether Mark Cuban https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/04/mark-cuban-nudged-elon-musk-to-settle-with-sec.html or someone else, as they convinced him to take a worse deal from the SEC one day after he'd rejected a better one, and that's with only two directors on the board who can be considered independent. Musk's tantrum about the SEC just reinforces the need for adult supervision, and outside investors will likely be the ones to force it, assuming Tesla can't make its upcoming debt payments without further help.

SageBrush said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
For the high mileage drivers, it's simple math. With gas at $4/gal (and rising), after 5 years (18k miles per year), a $50k Tesla costs the same as a $30k accord.
Exactly. Or better.

Non-hybrid ICE drivers pay 10 - 15 cents a mile. EV drivers with PV can pay as little as 0.5 cents a mile (like me.)
A Tesla will last a *long* time, making the money argument very persuasive even before considering the fantastic merits of the car itself.

For me, the arithmetic worked out this way:
51k Tesla before TTL
(10k) old car value
(14.4k) value of a 6 year newer car (based on $200 a month)
(10k) Tax Credits
(10k) Fuel savings over 200k miles @ 5 cents a mile (hybrid Vs EV fueled by my PV.)
-----
$6.6k upgrade cost

Trades are almost always less advantageous than replacing an end-of-life car. Anyone buying a new ICE today should review their arithmetic.

Right, all consumers ALWAYS make rational and totally analytical purchasing decisions. Oh please!

lorenfb said:
SageBrush said:
Tesla should be settling into a rate of 30,000 sales a month through the end of the year.
Nice job; I look forward to double that by 2020.

And that new production is located where?

I'm surprised you haven't answered the question. You usually respond. Could be that there's NO possible way that Tesla can increase
the production capacity needed to achieve that level, i.e. 30K/month, by year end?

lpickup said:
lorenfb said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
@ lorenfb - The $50k Tesla is taken sales away from more than BMW / Audi / MB. People are trading in their $25k+ vehicles (civic, accord, prius) for a $50k one: https://www.autoblog.com/2018/08/02/tesla-model-3-top-5-trade-ins/

So what! That's a very small percentage of Tesla's delivery backlog, i.e. trade-ins.

It's an indication of what is happening across the board Loren...or are you claiming that 100% of the people whose former vehicles were Civics, Accord and Priuses chose to trade in to Tesla and none of them decided to sell privately?

Do what???????

lorenfb said:
SageBrush said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
For the high mileage drivers, it's simple math. With gas at $4/gal (and rising), after 5 years (18k miles per year), a $50k Tesla costs the same as a $30k accord.
Exactly. Or better.

Non-hybrid ICE drivers pay 10 - 15 cents a mile. EV drivers with PV can pay as little as 0.5 cents a mile (like me.)
A Tesla will last a *long* time, making the money argument very persuasive even before considering the fantastic merits of the car itself.

For me, the arithmetic worked out this way:
51k Tesla before TTL
(10k) old car value
(14.4k) value of a 6 year newer car (based on $200 a month)
(10k) Tax Credits
(10k) Fuel savings over 200k miles @ 5 cents a mile (hybrid Vs EV fueled by my PV.)
-----
$6.6k upgrade cost

Trades are almost always less advantageous than replacing an end-of-life car. Anyone buying a new ICE today should review their arithmetic.

Right, all consumers ALWAYS make rational and totally analytical purchasing decisions. Oh please!

"Right, most consumers make rational and totally analytical purchasing decisions. Oh right!"

FTFY.

Again, nice strawman, but not going to bite.

lorenfb said:
lorenfb said:
SageBrush said:
Tesla should be settling into a rate of 30,000 sales a month through the end of the year.

I'm surprised you haven't answered the question. You usually respond. Could be that there's NO possible way that Tesla can increase
the production capacity needed to achieve that level, i.e. 30K/month, by year end?

why does he need to address against a fallacy? Are you incapable of doing math?!

30k/month is about 7500/week. Elon's stretch target is 10k/month out of fremont by year end, where they recently were able to burst up to 7k/week (not sustainable yet).

shanghai gigafactory is planned to start production in 2020 with a target of 250k cars or about 5k/week.

why is that so hard to believe?

these aren't met goals, but they are what Tesla is working towards. for the most part, tesla has either met their production goals or have gotten very close.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
lorenfb said:
lorenfb said:

why does he need to address against a fallacy? Are you incapable of doing math?!

30k/month is about 7500/week. Elon's stretch target is 10k/month out of fremont by year end, where they recently were able to burst up to 7k/week (not sustainable yet).

shanghai gigafactory is planned to start production in 2020 with a target of 250k cars or about 5k/week.

why is that so hard to believe?

these aren't met goals, but they are what Tesla is working towards. for the most part, tesla has either met their production goals or have gotten very close.

Right, dream-on! Been smoking any the stuff Elon uses? Hopefully you've got a sell limit order on TSLA and it gets
executed when the Q3 filing occurs and Tesla takes another 30 - 40 point hit. Just sell Tesla and buy Amazon,
ego decisions and wishful thinking don't yield positive returns in the stock market! Remember, Tesla isn't an Apple
that continue to produce +20% GPs after the initial product intro, i.e. that +$50K M3 backlog is diminishing and
the final test rejects aren't moving from the storage lots. Maybe Tesla can salvage bodies and achieve the 30K monthly
production some of the naïve forecast for the balance of 2018.

Every now and then, one needs to read the M3 thread to have a little more humor in life.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
for the most part, tesla has either met their production goals or have gotten very close.
They've missed them left and right.

A few examples:
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/881757617416056832?lang=en
Elon Musk
Looks like we can reach 20,000 Model 3 cars per month in Dec
11:12 PM - 2 Jul 2017
He got there in the last 7 days of June 2018: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/07/02/tesla-model-3-elon-musk/750590002/.

From http://ir.tesla.com/news-releases/news-release-details/tesla-q4-2017-vehicle-production-and-deliveries
Q4 production totaled 24,565 vehicles, of which 2,425 were Model 3.
During Q4, we made major progress addressing Model 3 production bottlenecks, with our production rate increasing significantly towards the end of the quarter. In the last seven working days of the quarter, we made 793 Model 3's, and in the last few days, we hit a production rate on each of our manufacturing lines that extrapolates to over 1,000 Model 3's per week.
As we continue to focus on quality and efficiency rather than simply pushing for the highest possible volume in the shortest period of time, we expect to have a slightly more gradual ramp through Q1, likely ending the quarter at a weekly rate of about 2,500 Model 3 vehicles.
But they missed the 2,500/week as well: https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/3/17192312/tesla-goal-model-3-elon-musk.

For Q3, 2017 “We are confident we can produce just over 1,500 vehicles in Q3, and achieve a run rate of 5,000 vehicles per week by the end of 2017..." yet per http://ir.tesla.com/news-releases/news-release-details/tesla-q3-2017-vehicle-deliveries-and-production, they only produced 260 Model 3.

lorenfb said:
lorenfb said:
SageBrush said:

Tesla delivered 29,975 cars in September. Read my earlier post again, I said that I expect Tesla to continue that rate through the end of the year. Your question where that would occur, when it is already a fact, does not deserve a response.

Doubling that rate by 2020 is a slightly better question. Tesla has to reach the production level of NUUMI (500k per year) + 200k from their tent line to reach that level. That is not even a stretch goal.

cwerdna said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
for the most part, tesla has either met their production goals or have gotten very close.
They've missed them left and right.

A few examples:
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/881757617416056832?lang=en
Elon Musk
Looks like we can reach 20,000 Model 3 cars per month in Dec
11:12 PM - 2 Jul 2017
He got there in the last 7 days of June 2018: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/07/02/tesla-model-3-elon-musk/750590002/.

From http://ir.tesla.com/news-releases/news-release-details/tesla-q4-2017-vehicle-production-and-deliveries
Q4 production totaled 24,565 vehicles, of which 2,425 were Model 3.
During Q4, we made major progress addressing Model 3 production bottlenecks, with our production rate increasing significantly towards the end of the quarter. In the last seven working days of the quarter, we made 793 Model 3's, and in the last few days, we hit a production rate on each of our manufacturing lines that extrapolates to over 1,000 Model 3's per week.
As we continue to focus on quality and efficiency rather than simply pushing for the highest possible volume in the shortest period of time, we expect to have a slightly more gradual ramp through Q1, likely ending the quarter at a weekly rate of about 2,500 Model 3 vehicles.
But they missed the 2,500/week as well: https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/3/17192312/tesla-goal-model-3-elon-musk.

For Q3, 2017 “We are confident we can produce just over 1,500 vehicles in Q3, and achieve a run rate of 5,000 vehicles per week by the end of 2017..." yet per http://ir.tesla.com/news-releases/news-release-details/tesla-q3-2017-vehicle-deliveries-and-production, they only produced 260 Model 3.

i guess my "production goals" qualifier wasn't clear enough. I meant that even if late, they get to the production they've set out for:
- model X is unbuildable: now at 1000/week
- model 3 can't make 5000/wk: they are now
- model s demand won't exceed 20k/yr: they still are selling more than that.
- can't build 30k/month model 3 in existing factory: this was what i was trying to answer.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
i guess my "production goals" qualifier wasn't clear enough. I meant that even if late, they get to the production they've set out for
This is exactly the point that Tesla trolls and skeptics are blind to. Tesla is routinely late, but they make what they say they will make. Unlike e.g. Nissan, where a forward looking production statement is just an aspirational marketing message.

Tesla owners learn patience;
LEAF owners sign up for deception, e.g. DC charging, battery degradation, and capacity bar manipulation.

And now another perspective and surely all are open minded to another perspective on the real M3 long term demand, right?

Regardless of how Q3 financials pan out, the biggest problem that besets Tesla today is demand (or the lack thereof). As discussed in the previous note, the situation with the LR model demand has gotten so bad that Tesla has now essentially stopped producing this version (image below from Model 3 public tracker). Note the paucity of blue dots that represent the LR version. Similar story is playing out with the “P” and “AWD” versions. Note from the image below that the reservation queue demand for “P” and “AWD” versions is almost exhausted. Note the very steep roll-offs during the last week of the quarter. This is bad news for Tesla as the Model 3 Performance version is the only Model 3 with decent gross margins. Note that the reservation queue for this highest margin version is all but gone.

On the upside, Tesla has recently drummed up additional sales for this model by offering free lifetime Supercharging. Thanks to this long-term loss-making promotion, Tesla has been able to drum up “P” version demand by about thousand cars. We predict that the reservation queue, including this new demand, will be essentially satisfied during the first or second week of October. Going into November, there is very little demand for the only Model 3 with respectable margins.

And for those with inside info, refute the above. Please, no more wishing what the real long term $50K+ M3 market is.

The Q3 delivery report is tame and lacks the bluster we have seen in recent quarters. While the hints are subtle, there is little doubt that Tesla is laying the groundwork for a future guidance reduction. The narrative fits with the lack of demand signs that are now becoming increasingly obvious.
Based on all available information to date, here are some predictions:
Due to dramatically reduced demand for the current models in the US, Tesla will have to:
1. Speculatively ship product to Europe ahead of homologation.
2. Release a new lower priced Model 3 in Q4 (something in the $40K-$45K price range possible).
3. If A or B does not happen, then Tesla will see an emphatic downtick in Q4 demand.
When it comes to Model S and Model X, the ground has already been laid in Q3 deliveries report in the form of China tariff issue. Due to China issues, Tesla will see much lower Model S and Model X demand going forward. Tax credit expiration in the US and Netherlands will help demand somewhat, but Tesla will have to significantly ramp down Model S and Model X production in Q4. What is worse is that the demand challenges of Model S and Model X pale in comparison to Model 3 problems. Tesla MUST start dramatically reducing Model 3 production or shut it down altogether for several weeks in Q4.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4210257-massive-layoffs-reorganization-ahead-tesla?dr=1

As I stated upthread, Tesla could possibly reduce the loss per vehicle from about $17K per vehicle in Q2 to about $1K - $2K and
even show a small profit with freebees, i.e. ZEV credits. Can Tesla survive long term just producing 200K - 300K vehicles
per year as a niche player, maybe, but not with Elon. By the beginning of next month, we'll see whether the above proves correct.

SageBrush said:
seekingalpha ?!?
ROFL

You may as well parrot trump while you are at it.

Loren comes back when there are some crumbs to troll on. Loren can't and won't answer simple questions like "have you ever driven a Tesla?".

My guess is Loren wanted a M3 but the price was not as expected now it's Tesla payback time. Such a tired and unoriginal theme.

lorenfb said:
And now another perspective and surely all are open minded to another perspective on the real M3 long term demand, right?

Regardless of how Q3 financials pan out, the biggest problem that besets Tesla today is demand (or the lack thereof). As discussed in the previous note, the situation with the LR model demand has gotten so bad that Tesla has now essentially stopped producing this version (image below from Model 3 public tracker). Note the paucity of blue dots that represent the LR version. Similar story is playing out with the “P” and “AWD” versions. Note from the image below that the reservation queue demand for “P” and “AWD” versions is almost exhausted. Note the very steep roll-offs during the last week of the quarter. This is bad news for Tesla as the Model 3 Performance version is the only Model 3 with decent gross margins. Note that the reservation queue for this highest margin version is all but gone.

On the upside, Tesla has recently drummed up additional sales for this model by offering free lifetime Supercharging. Thanks to this long-term loss-making promotion, Tesla has been able to drum up “P” version demand by about thousand cars. We predict that the reservation queue, including this new demand, will be essentially satisfied during the first or second week of October. Going into November, there is very little demand for the only Model 3 with respectable margins.

And for those with inside info, refute the above. Please, no more wishing what the real long term $50K+ M3 market is.

The Q3 delivery report is tame and lacks the bluster we have seen in recent quarters. While the hints are subtle, there is little doubt that Tesla is laying the groundwork for a future guidance reduction. The narrative fits with the lack of demand signs that are now becoming increasingly obvious.
Based on all available information to date, here are some predictions:
Due to dramatically reduced demand for the current models in the US, Tesla will have to:
1. Speculatively ship product to Europe ahead of homologation.
2. Release a new lower priced Model 3 in Q4 (something in the $40K-$45K price range possible).
3. If A or B does not happen, then Tesla will see an emphatic downtick in Q4 demand.
When it comes to Model S and Model X, the ground has already been laid in Q3 deliveries report in the form of China tariff issue. Due to China issues, Tesla will see much lower Model S and Model X demand going forward. Tax credit expiration in the US and Netherlands will help demand somewhat, but Tesla will have to significantly ramp down Model S and Model X production in Q4. What is worse is that the demand challenges of Model S and Model X pale in comparison to Model 3 problems. Tesla MUST start dramatically reducing Model 3 production or shut it down altogether for several weeks in Q4.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4210257-massive-layoffs-reorganization-ahead-tesla?dr=1

As I stated upthread, Tesla could possibly reduce the loss per vehicle from about $17K per vehicle in Q2 to about $1K - $2K and
even show a small profit with freebees, i.e. ZEV credits. Can Tesla survive long term just producing 200K - 300K vehicles
per year as a niche player, maybe, but not with Elon. By the beginning of next month, we'll see whether the above proves correct.

if you haven't realized it yet, seeking alpha is a bastion of misinformation. The worst amongst them is Anton Wahlman (case and point was his article about how the Bolt was outselling the model 3 8-to-1)! you have to keep in mind that they're opinion pieces. use them for their source material, but don't take their writer's opinions as gospel.

the model3 LR doesn't have a demand problem, as new orders still have a 4 week delivery timeframe. the reason there's been mostly AWD sales, is because the backlog of AWD reservation holders were just fulfilled this quarter (production just started in june). plus, they're higher profit, so many were pre-built as part of a batch build to take advantage of a quick sale and to optimize profitability.

now that the end of quarter rush is over, deliveries should be more representative of actual demand.

also, with the focus on profitability, there is no need for restructuring nor refinancing of debt. these are merely the claims (amongst years of failed ones) being made by the short-sellers.

As i told joe6pack, you're getting bad info from bad source material.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
[

You can assume it's bad data and dismiss it as you've done, or you can refute it rationally, either using your data or his.
The article presents public data and draws a conclusion. If you disagree then, either challenge the data he presents
or rationalize how his data can lead to opposing conclusions. Just because you disagree, let's not obfuscate the facts.
Not only do I read and reference articles about Tesla, but I also obtain my own public automotive market data and
analyze it based on my background to determine my opinion, just as others do on MNL.

lorenfb said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
[

You can assume it's bad data and dismiss it as you've done, or you can refute it rationally, either using your data or his.
The article presents public data and draws a conclusion. If you disagree then, either challenge the data he presents
or rationalize how his data can lead to opposing conclusions. Just because you disagree, let's not obfuscate the facts.
Not only do I read and reference articles about Tesla, but I also obtain my own public automotive market data and
analyze it based on my background to determine my opinion, just as others do on MNL.

reread my post, as i've done just that.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
lorenfb said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
[

reread my post, as i've done just that.

Let's wait for the Q3 report.

Degradation of my 2012 Leaf has been faster than I anticipated, unfortunately (from a financial perspective) but I guess the upside is that it will give me incentive to finally order an SR Model 3 and add Autopilot to it some time early next year. The thing I find so funny about the people who are so adamant that Tesla will fail is they have a vested EMOTIONAL interest in Tesla failing. Either they have a financial gain to be had (either directly, or because they work for a competitor), they're a hater because of brand loyalty to some other brand, or they just hate Tesla due to jealousy. Most anti-Tesla people I've seen in the Twitter world are petrol heads. I can't imagine why anyone who is sincere about preventing climate change and wants clean air/water would try to disparage Tesla.

Anyhow, my thread-jacking 2c...

Back