Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tesla Model 3 gets the lowest likelihood of serious injury of any car ever tested.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/model-3-lowest-probability-injury-any-vehicle-ever-tested-nhtsa

Caveats being this is in the case of accidents as tested.
The videos are rather fascinating, especially the center pole test.

Durandal said:
Degradation of my 2012 Leaf has been faster than I anticipated, unfortunately (from a financial perspective) but I guess the upside is that it will give me incentive to finally order an SR Model 3 and add Autopilot to it some time early next year. The thing I find so funny about the people who are so adamant that Tesla will fail is they have a vested EMOTIONAL interest in Tesla failing. Either they have a financial gain to be had (either directly, or because they work for a competitor), they're a hater because of brand loyalty to some other brand, or they just hate Tesla due to jealousy. Most anti-Tesla people I've seen in the Twitter world are petrol heads. I can't imagine why anyone who is sincere about preventing climate change and wants clean air/water would try to disparage Tesla.

Anyhow, my thread-jacking 2c...

I couldn’t agree more, well said.
Additionally, I find it interesting how some of the naysayers refuse to accept they were wrong about any aspect of their complaints.

Zythryn said:
Tesla Model 3 gets the lowest likelihood of serious injury of any car ever tested.
https://www.tesla.com/blog/model-3-lowest-probability-injury-any-vehicle-ever-tested-nhtsa
It's a really awesome report!

(although I'm really annoyed that they chose the y-axis to start at 5% just to make the chart look "better")

jlv said:
Zythryn said:
It's a really awesome report!

(although I'm really annoyed that they chose the y-axis to start at 5% just to make the chart look "better")

Would also like to see who the other top 50 models are!

jlv said:
One of my pet peeves too, of charting in general.

It looked like a ~ 25% reduction in injury risk compared to the average of the top 47 non Tesla cars. That is really impressive.

Durandal said:
I can't imagine why anyone who is sincere about preventing climate change and wants clean air/water would try to disparage Tesla.

Or add to that list any nationalistic Make America Great Again type who wants to see American manufacturing regain its dominance. Tesla is the best chance the US has of that happening. Not that I think people should rally behind a company just because it's American, but it does seem to me that people go out of their way to construct arguments against Tesla based on data that flies in the face with actual results, speculation only, or relies on information that literally has absolutely no bearing on how well the company is going to perform (example: Elon taking a puff of Joe Rogan's joint).

Chinese automakers in particular are probably thrilled at this behavior!

With regard to Model 3 safety, I was impressed with this report of a high speed crash in May:

My Model 3 Got Wrecked Today :(

Be sure to take a look at the picture and see that the cabin is intact even though both front and back ends are crushed from the spinning collision. According to a witness, the crash was caused by a Camaro SS and BMW street racing as they entered a tunnel, when the Camaro hit the Model 3 and caused it to spin three times and hit the walls, as is apparent from the picture. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/2771736/

lpickup said:
Or add to that list any nationalistic Make America Great Again type who wants to see American manufacturing regain its dominance.
You mean the fools that buy trucks made in Mexico, do not realize that American dominance was built on **exports** to countries that allowed them without tariffs, that create one big sucking sound from the petro-dollars sent to OPEC, and shop at Walmart, the kingpin of exporting manufacturing expertise to China ?

Stealing from reddit on the NHSTA crash test of VIN 61210: https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/9me9xr/a_moment_of_silence_for_vin_61210_sacrifice_in/
Full set of pre/post crash test images: https://imgur.com/a/oCAVKzz

So someone made this image:

Dummy's reaction tells it all
qi6ex1204zq11.png

Nice after view of the knee airbags and collapsible steering column.

Well, it isn’t the base model, but Tesla is now offering a mid-range version of the Model 3.
$4000 cheaper ($45k), 260 mile epa range, premium package RWD.

I did not see this coming, complete surprise to me. If it makes it easier for more people to get into an EV I’m all for it :D

Some more details Via IEVS:
. . . Top speed is listed at 125 mph and 0 to 60 MPH is just 5.6 seconds.

Delivery is listed at 6 to 10 weeks.

This is believed to be the 3rd battery option (short, mid and long) that will eventually be offered on the Model 3.

Turns out it’s a long-range battery with fewer cells, which means production can happen almost right away.
Or, they could just offer the 3LR without the pano roof and other features that kick the base MSRP up from $45 to $49k, as they originally said they would.

A great read on Model 3 manufacturing costs:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...sk-s-best-and-worst-decisions?srnd=hyperdrive

“Sandy Munro, the founder of Munro & Associates, a small firm that disassembles new cars piece by piece, concluded that the Model 3 costs about $2,000 more to produce than a similarly-priced BMW i3 and may have additional cost problems in its assembly plant. Some compact cars and family sedans produced by conventional automakers don’t make $2,000 in total profit per vehicle.

Many of the problems stem from unconventional choices made by Tesla Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk. “If that car was made anywhere else, and Elon wasn’t part of the manufacturing process, they would make a lot of money,” Munro said in an interview. “They’re just learning all the old mistakes everyone else made years ago.” Munro said he admires Tesla’s technology, so he sent the company a pro bono list of 227 suggested improvements.”

GRA said:
Some more details Via IEVS:
. . . Top speed is listed at 125 mph and 0 to 60 MPH is just 5.6 seconds.

Delivery is listed at 6 to 10 weeks.

This is believed to be the 3rd battery option (short, mid and long) that will eventually be offered on the Model 3.

Turns out it’s a long-range battery with fewer cells, which means production can happen almost right away.
Or, they could just offer the 3LR without the pano roof and other features that kick the base MSRP up from $45 to $49k, as they originally said they would.

I’m sure they will. This allows them a higher efficiency on their manufacturing lines.

Zythryn said:
Well, it isn’t the base model, but Tesla is now offering a mid-range version of the Model 3.
It will be interesting to read the range by EPA testing for insight into Tesla retail battery pricing. I know Tesla recently increased the price of its residential battery storage.

Zythryn said:

I did not see this coming, complete surprise to me. If it makes it easier for more people to get into an EV I’m all for it :D

Nice. I did not see this coming either. I have several friends who are holding off ordering and this is what they were looking for. I'm still waiting for the SR with Premium Package, but this is close. If my job were not a bit unstable at the moment, I might jump at this version of the car. For now I'm still waiting.

Zythryn said:

That values the battery at about $375-$400/kWhr. That's pretty high. Musk has said Tesla is well below $200/kWhr and pushing to $100.

webb14leafs said:
Zythryn said:

That values the battery at about $375-$400/kWhr. That's pretty high. Musk has said Tesla is well below $200/kWhr and pushing to $100.

That is an extremely rough calculation.
We don’t know the size of the battery pack. We also don’t know the profit margin of the mid range vehicle.
I also haven’t reviewed the epa papers on the range. Tesla downrated the range of the RWD long range by 34 miles (it actually tested at 343). Perhaps the mid range tested at 260. This would also change the calculations.

I’ll see what I can find.

Zythryn said:
We don’t know the size of the battery pack. We also don’t know the profit margin of the mid range vehicle.
I also haven’t reviewed the epa papers on the range. Tesla downrated the range of the RWD long range by 34 miles (it actually tested at 343). Perhaps the mid range tested at 260. This would also change the calculations.
Exactly.
Though once we have the EPA tested range we will know the battery capacity reduction in kWh.
Since we know the price reduction in the otherwise identical Model 3 LR it will be tempting to call the quotient the Tesla retail $/kWh

Zythryn said:
webb14leafs said:
Zythryn said:

True. If it's a 60 mile difference, that would be roughly 15kWhr. That would only by $266/kWhr. And that doesn't include any other options that might separate the $45K mid range from the $49K long range. For some reason I was thinking it would equate to 10kWhr, but now I expect it will be closer to the 15.

Zythryn said:
webb14leafs said:
Zythryn said:

Here ya go. Best breakdown of potential costs and effect on profitability of the LeMR I've seen: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/3134655/

TL;DR: the new MR model is an attempt to maximize the number of cars they can deliver despite being constrained by current cell production capacity, while maintaining gross profit margin.

Back