TSLA corporate outlook

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tattoogunman said:
At the end of the day, Tesla is simply a car company folks, nothing more and nothing less, and Elon just happens to be the current guy running the company. Car company executives are replaced all the time, it's part of the job.
And, one doesn't that produce many cars while bleeding money like crazy every quarter, racking up nearly $6 billion in net loss so far and over $10 billion in debt. They've not had an entire year with a net profit, so far.

Admittedly, having debt isn't uncommon in the auto industry.

tattoogunman said:
iPlug said:
Steve Jobs was known for the same, by most accounts quite worse. But that doesn't disallow a person the status genius nor disallow for an ultimately very successful and profitable company.

At least Steve Jobs designed/invented the technology that made him rich and famous (even if he had some help).
:?: Steve Wozniak designed the Apple computers based on several computers he had previously designed. He might have had a (very) little help with the circuits from Jobs, but certainly not much. Jobs was the CEO and marketing director and he likely was heavily involved with product (and software) styling.

Steve Jobs certainly founded the company (with Wozniak) and was the genius behind its success, but I expect the "invention" was largely on Wozniak's (and others') shoulders.

RegGuheert said:
tattoogunman said:
iPlug said:
Steve Jobs was known for the same, by most accounts quite worse. But that doesn't disallow a person the status genius nor disallow for an ultimately very successful and profitable company.

At least Steve Jobs designed/invented the technology that made him rich and famous (even if he had some help).
:?: Steve Wozniak designed the Apple computers based on several computers he had previously designed. He might have had a (very) little help with the circuits from Jobs, but certainly not much. Jobs was the CEO and marketing director and he likely was heavily involved with product (and software) styling.

Steve Jobs certainly founded the company (with Wozniak) and was the genius behind its success, but I expect the "invention" was largely on Wozniak's (and others') shoulders.
Agree, that's one of several similarities I see between Jobs and Musk.

Both pitchmen, involved in hardware/software engineering from a creative level but not themselves doing the engineering, both driving their colleagues and underlings to greatness even if sometimes or often seen as tyrannical. For Jobs and Musk, it was more about innovation. Innovators get the glory (and $$$), inventors not so much.

Wozniak was the engineer, Jobs had the grand ideas and saw the big picture. The company and public coalesced around Jobs.

Elon Musk Steps Down as Tesla’s Chairman in Settlement With S.E.C. Over Go-Private Tweet

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/29/business/tesla-musk-sec-settlement.html

Elon Musk, under pressure from his lawyers and investors of Tesla, the company he co-founded, reached a deal with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Saturday to resolve securities fraud charges. The settlement will force Mr. Musk to step aside as chairman for three years and pay a $20 million fine.

WetEV said:
Elon Musk Steps Down as Tesla’s Chairman in Settlement With S.E.C. Over Go-Private Tweet

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/29/business/tesla-musk-sec-settlement.html

Elon Musk, under pressure from his lawyers and investors of Tesla, the company he co-founded, reached a deal with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Saturday to resolve securities fraud charges. The settlement will force Mr. Musk to step aside as chairman for three years and pay a $20 million fine.

A big yawn, until the Q3 report!

Having him step away from Chairman while remaining CEO is a logical win for Tesla. So far the market certainly seems to agree.

I'm really glad I bought more TSLA Friday after hours. :cool:

jlv said:
Having him step away from Chairman while remaining CEO is a logical win for Tesla. So far the market certainly seems to agree.

Actually, his being or not being chairman is a non-issue for the market. The key point is that the cost to the shareholders is less than .05%.
For Elon, the cost was about .1% of his wealth just from Tesla. Remember, whether chairman or not, Elon still essentially controls the board,
and he's still CEO, i.e. the Telsa board - puppets.

iPlug said:
RegGuheert said:
tattoogunman said:

Agree, that's one of several similarities I see between Jobs and Musk.

Both pitchmen, involved in hardware/software engineering from a creative level but not themselves doing the engineering, both driving their colleagues and underlings to greatness even if sometimes or often seen as tyrannical. For Jobs and Musk, it was more about innovation. Innovators get the glory (and $$$), inventors not so much.

Wozniak was the engineer, Jobs had the grand ideas and saw the big picture. The company and public coalesced around Jobs.

And rightly so. Building the hardware was something a lot of people could do. Directing a company to meet timelines, production goals, etc. is also something a lot of people can do but what Jobs did was so far beyond that. He did not fill needs. He created needs we didn't even know we had.

I feel rather confident a there isn't a "lot" of people who could match Job's prescience.

jlv said:
lorenfb said:
jlv said:
I'm really glad I bought more TSLA Friday after hours. :cool:
And more today, right?
TSLA has been really, really, really good to me over the last two weeks. ;)

Selling short, right? Or you bought the 360 PUT shortly after Elon tweeted taking the company private with TSLA at 375.
Then you sold the PUT when the SEC filed and the stock dropped to 320. Then last week when the stock was at about 310,
you shorted the stock just before Elon tweeted about the SEC. Tomorrow morning you'll cover your short with a buy at 265,
right? At that rate, you can retire early just shorting and buying TSLA. Congrats on your stock trading!

A "John Sculley" potentially the new chairman at Tesla?

James Murdoch is the top choice to replace Elon Musk as Tesla's chairman, according to a report from the Financial Times, which cited two people familiar with the matter.

https://www.businessinsider.com/james-murdoch-likely-to-be-tesla-chairman-report-2018-10

And to remember history;

https://www.cultofmac.com/507263/apple-history-john-sculley-resigns/

Musk to Murdoch:

“Do you want to spend the rest of your life selling media, just like sugar water, or do you want a chance to change the automotive world?”

Tesla will be reporting 3rd quarter results THIS Wednesday after market close.
http://ir.tesla.com/

Zythryn said:
Tesla will be reporting 3rd quarter results THIS Wednesday after market close.
http://ir.tesla.com/
Somewhat related is the news that an investment company that was a prominent TSLA short has reversed its position:

Tesla critic Citron makes U-turn ahead of results

“While the media has been focused on Elon Musk’s eccentric, outlandish and at times offensive behavior, it has failed to notice the legitimate disruption of the auto industry that is currently being dominated by Tesla,” Citron said.

Not representative of shorts as a whole, but a curious development nonetheless.

dgpcolorado said:
Somewhat related is the news that an investment company that was a prominent TSLA short has reversed its position:

“While the media has been focused on Elon Musk’s eccentric, outlandish and at times offensive behavior, it has failed to notice the legitimate disruption of the auto industry that is currently being dominated by Tesla,” Citron said.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Left

A major/key investment/banking firm on Wall Street, right? Basically a blogger!

dgpcolorado said:

That really is kind of funny. This guy was one of the biggest shorts. Posting lots of pieces about how Tesla should be shorted. Low and behold, one of the loudest voices out there that was "focused on Elon Musk’s eccentric, outlandish and at times offensive behavior" is now stating that the "media" "has failed to notice the legitimate disruption of the auto industry that is currently being dominated by Tesla,”

It would have been a lot more honest if he had simply said "I missed it as I was focused on the wrong thing".

Zythryn said:
Low and behold, one of the loudest voices out there that was "focused on Elon Musk’s eccentric, outlandish and at times offensive behavior" is now stating that the "media" "has failed to notice the legitimate disruption of the auto industry that is currently being dominated by Tesla,”

It would have been a lot more honest if he had simply said "I missed it as I was focused on the wrong thing".

Most likely threatened with a lawsuit as were those posting short selling recommendations via Seeking Alpha.
Great isn't it, when corporations, e.g. Elon/Tesla, attempt to affect the efficiency of the financial markets by
promoting the elimination of short selling, e.g. used in many cases to hedge/protect a financial position?

Totally laughable;
the legitimate disruption of the auto industry

Total U.S. 2017 auto sales - 17M units

Tesla 2018 guidance - MS/MX < 150K
Tesla 2018 guidance - M3 << 200K
Total optimistic potential for 2018 < 350K

Tesla's SAM (served available market) for 2018 as a percent of TAM - .35 / 17 = 2 % (assumes 2018 U.S. TAM flat)

A real disruption, right?

Back