Highest cold Inflation pressure?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently bought 17-inch Ecopias, but went up to 215/55R17 to get slightly larger diameter. Sidewall indicates maximum cold inflation is 51 psi. I am presently running 48 because 51 seemed a little harsh over bumps. As far as the tire is concerned, there is no issue running the maximum listed on the sidewall with pressure checked at night (early morning) when tire is coldest. The 16-inch Ecopias that came on my 2011 had sidewall maximum of 44 psi cold and that is where I kept them.

Rule of thumb is 80-100% rated pressure. The car will tend to wander at higher pressures.

Does anyone get errors or DTCs from being "over pressure"? I started getting a "check tire pressure" icon on the dash every time I start the car; but LeafSpy shows all four tires are between 39.5 and 40 psi, and shows no active DTCs.

specialgreen said:
Does anyone get errors or DTCs from being "over pressure"? I started getting a "check tire pressure" icon on the dash every time I start the car; but LeafSpy shows all four tires are between 39.5 and 40 psi, and shows no active DTCs.

Nope, or if I did I didn't even notice it (possible but unlikely over multiple days). The day I posted this, I pumped the Ecopias up to 46 PSI cold. I left them like that for a few days, then pulled back to 44.

smkettner said:
Sidewall max in all conditions.

+1, and that’s for any tire really. Totally comfortable running at max tire pressure...that’s what it is there for.

That said, I’ve run my still original 2012 LEAF SL Ecopia tires at 36psi (car recommendation), 40psi, and 44psi (tire max) for extended periods to feel the difference. For me, 36psi seems a tad mushy, almost under inflated. 44psi gave a ride harsher than I liked and so the sweet spot is 40psi. I’ve used that for a couple of years now and plan to continue doing so. Still a good ride, better handling to my mind, no unusual tread wear, slightly better energy consumption (and I mean only SLIGHTLY), so all good.

At none of the 3 pressures have I gotten a TPMS message, and LEAFSpyPro shows no DTC’s being thrown.

I don't like using sidewall max, simply because not all gauges are accurate, and someone is bound to use the max on a really cold tire, with a very pessimistic gauge. That number really is for a heavily loaded tire. That's why I do 95% of the max. (On my 2018 Leaf I'm doing 38psi, and like it.)

I only fill my tires when cold (car has sat overnight), but I do not bother with a gauge. I find it much easier to use the built-in pressure indicator. I use a 12v compressor that connects to the battery terminals. https://smile.amazon.com/Viair-00088-88P-Portable-Compressor/dp/B005ASY23I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540953217&sr=8-1&keywords=Viair+00088+88P
I turn the car on, when filling the tires, so the battery doesn't drain too much. When it gets up to the recommended pressure, the car horn honks once. When it hits what the system considers the maximum acceptable pressure, the horn honks three times. I then turn off the compressor and move to the next tire. The gauge on the air compressor shows 42psi when I get the three honks. The ride is a little rough, but seems to be okay with the new Ecopias I put on it a couple months ago.

FWIW, I like this type of gauge. It has a little thumb button that lets you easily bleed air after overshooting so you can land right on the line. This helps get all tires exactly the same and I find it useful in that I get an accurate measure of how much the PSI has changed per tire since the last check.

https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/deluxe-tire-gauge-0-to-60-psi.html

I have a Campbell-Hausfeld portable cordless inflator with a built-in 12 volt SLA battery and a 12 volt accessory port. The gauge is accurate enough that I can watch it as I inflate, overshoot by 1psi, then open and remove the clamp-type valve before I shut it off, and get the pressure I want without the extra step of using a separate gauge. It's held up well over two years or so, even surviving a blast from the garden hose. (I dried it out with a fan before using it again.)

https://campbellhausfeld.com/cordless-rechargeable-inflator-with-12-volt-power-outlet-cc2300.html

CC2300-1-L-Cordless-Rechargeable-Inflator-With-12-Volt-Power-Outlet.jpg

Back