Is Nissan Connect (Carwings) worth it?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silverfish said:
I've had my 2013 Leaf SV for about 2 months now. When I got the chance, I stopped sending data to Nissan. I still get the nag screen.

Is Nissan Connect worth it? It seems weird to me to pay money to Nissan just to send them data that benefits them more than me. I don't need to start the heater or AC before I get in the car.

So what do people like about Nissan Connect?

Nope.

@WetEV

WIFI that connects to home network? Or hotspot in car?

Doesn't matter, either would work. You simply provide the TCU with the SSID and PSK and it will connect to any Wifi AP, a hotspot on a cell phone, etc. Installing a SIM card would be the owner's choice, which is what I'm advocating for - having the choice. Personally, I would just use WiFi connectivity.

WetEV said:
specialgreen said:
I'd think it would add $1k per car, over the life of a car (last I looked, IoT LTE access cost about $7/month).

I doubt if Nissan is paying 70 cents a month per car.

Last time I worked with LTE-based IoT, Verizon was the dominant player, and was charging $5-$7 per month per node. This was 2 years ago, for a Fortune500 maker of monitored transformers for the power industry. However, I see that T-Mobile is claiming $20/year for unlimited 64kbps LTE data (https://iot.t-mobile.com/pricing/) in sufficient volume, which may be $200 over the life of the car.

My guess is that Tesla is using much higher speeds than that. But they are now pushing their Premium Internet for $100/year, which is about what I'd expect for a heavily discounted unlimited AT&T LTE hotspot. If cars can use a small-enough amount of data, then the cost could be nominal; but those which provide good mapping, or harvest their customers' driving data, or provide hotspot will probably see OnStar-like monthly fees.

alozzy said:
@WetEV

WIFI that connects to home network? Or hotspot in car?

Doesn't matter, either would work. You simply provide the TCU with the SSID and PSK and it will connect to any Wifi AP, a hotspot on a cell phone, etc. Installing a SIM card would be the owner's choice, which is what I'm advocating for - having the choice. Personally, I would just use WiFi connectivity.

Personally, I don't want someone "hacking" into my Leaf via WiFi. Remember, this system was basically designed ~10 years ago now, and cellular is extremely difficult (if not impossible with illegally obtained equipment) to "hack".
Bottom line: Nissan has been providing a free service (CarWings/NissanConnect) to access Leaf data from day 1, and the TCU upgrade should allow us to do so for many years to come (I haven't had any TCU lock-us/re-boots/whatever since I deleted my "saved locations"...which is almost since the beginning of this year).

@Stanton I'm not talking about retrofitting new TCU hardware on old LEAFs, I'm referring to future iterations and industry wide practices in general.

A secure TCU, that can connect via both cell and WiFi connections, is what I'd like to see from all car manufacturers. Also, a modular design that allows easy radio hardware upgrades would make a lot of sense. Manufacturers could easily integrate low cost hardware common in smartphones, rather the proprietary BS they like to use.

End to end AES-256 encryption isn't all that difficult, so the WiFi security concerns aren't really a concern. WEP sucked, but no one in their right mind uses it anymore anyways.

I'm a realist though, the chances of any car manufacturer doing any of the above are almost zero. They like using cell only and proprietary hardware because then they can cutoff the free service whenever they wish and start forcing for pay subscriptions.

Back