Winter Tires

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always try to get an extra set of rims with snow tires on them for my cars. I just got a set for my Avalon last week! I'm going with studded Firestone Winterforce 2's since I wanted studded tires. I haven't tried them out yet.

I look for used OEM rims for the car. First I call the closest junk yards and see what they got. For the Avalon I ended up getting used OEM alloy rims from eBay. I've got a Toyota Techstream ordered for getting the TPMS codes into the ECU so the light won't turn on. Not sure how that's done with Nissan.

I've tried studless Blizzaks and loved them except at that time I didn't put them on dedicated rims and they ended up splitting at the bead. It's best to get dedicated rims. I also tried some Goodyear snow tires without studs that weren't very good.

Always try to get the same diameter. Bigger or smaller not only affects your speedometer and odometer readings, but also changes the torque on the wheels from accelerating and braking. Not a good idea for snow and ice! If you get rims that are and inch smaller then you need a profile that is higher. So 215/55 16's would work in place of 215/50 17's since they have about the same diameter. Never go wider, but a bit narrower is ok. Usually winter tires already have narrower tread than all-seasons with the same sidewall width.

I saw an article in a recent issue (this month's??) of Consumer Reports on snow tires. Sadly, the Winterforce 2's I bought are on the bottom of the list. I think I remember the ICE-X's and Blizzaks being on the top of the list.

We had good luck first with Goodyear UltraGips, then even better luck with General Altimax Arctic studdables, or something like that. Soft compound tires do tend to lose chunks of the sealing surface when swapped repeatedly. Now for the Prius PHEV we're trying Toyo Celsius year-round snow and ice tires, because my housemate only drives a little more than me, and has zero interest in sporty driving. So far they seem ok, but at least on the PIP they don't return to center well after turning. She doesn't mind.

Sorry to spam multiple topics, but I would like an answer so I can order my snow tires. Do 17" Juke wheels fit the 2018 leaf SL with 17" wheels? They are supposed to fit the earlier Leaf. I can still have the snows mounted on the OEM wheels if they don't, but then there would be no need to order a second set of TPMS sensors. (And I'd have to sell the Juke wheels.)

Do 17" Juke wheels fit the 2018 leaf SL with 17" wheels? They are supposed to fit the earlier Leaf

You can use a site like this to compare: https://www.willtheyfit.com/
I believe the 2018 LEAF SL wheel is a 17x6.5 +45 and a Juke wheel is 17x7 +35 ... If I put in the same tire size of 215/50/17 on both, it comes out...
> Compared to your existing wheel, this new wheel will have an inner rim which is 3.7mm further away from the suspension strut.

Since it's further away from suspension, you are probably OK, 3.7 mm is not much.

Keep in mind that I just searched this info... you have the actual juke wheel so you should always calculate yourself rather than believing someone on the internet :)

I can still have the snows mounted on the OEM wheels if they don't , but then there would be no need to order a second set of TPMS sensors. (And I'd have to sell the Juke wheels.

Correct, if you mount them on the OEM wheels, you don't need to buy another TPMS sensor, but then you have to rely on the wheel shop to swap your tires every year.

I understand that, believe me. When I bought the Juke wheels it was to put summer tires on them for a '13 Leaf. I'm hoping to confirm the fit on the '18 before the tire guy comes to install the snows on them, and I'm not sure how having the wheels in front of me would help with that, as the OEM wheels will still be on the car. I'm too feeble these days to change wheels myself. I'm hoping to get firm confirmation here, but I appreciate your preliminary work. I did try using tire rack to compare, but it looks like there may be several different Juke 17" wheels. I THINK that mine are from a '15 Juke, but I'm not sure if it was FWD or AWD.

The wheels should have the size imprinted on it somewhere... maybe on the inside of behind the spokes.. If you have that you can put those numbers into the calculator to know for sure.. You're not going crazy with the sizes so as long as it doesn't rub the suspension, it should be fine.

whowutwutt said:
The wheels should have the size imprinted on it somewhere... maybe on the inside of behind the spokes.. If you have that you can put those numbers into the calculator to know for sure.. You're not going crazy with the sizes so as long as it doesn't rub the suspension, it should be fine.

Yes, I just want to make sure they will clear the calipers. It won't bother me if the protrude an extra 3.75mm or whatever.

I'm getting Michelin XICE3s in a week from Dealer. With steelies $1100 CAD installed, plus tax. Includes yearly storage of original set. No TPMS. Get a good tire gauge and save money by checking them yourself!

I now have steelies installed on my Leaf 16" x 6.5" $69.00 each

TPMS sensors were $50.00 each

Michelin tires were $147.49 (at CTC) each

Install and balance $17.50 each

All amounts in Canadian Dollars, HST extra

https://www.sipantire.com Sipan Tires and Rims, 715 Industrial Ave, Ottawa

Shopped around, this was the best deal I could find, and with availability of steel rims.

Markings on the rims...

"DTD 651401 6.5JX16 TC 5-114.3 67.1 ET 42 35 13 MADE IN PRC"

@Leftiebiker, How do you see $29 for TPMS on Tirerack, when I price out a wheel, the TPMS is $55 each. Plus, since i can't specify a 2018 LEAF, it would automatically get a 315Mhz unit when I'm shopping configured with a 2017.

I plan to call them next week and see if they can sell me a 433 Mhz unit installed with tires/wheels mounted...

Amazon has Autel TPMS for $119 for a pack of 4 so it would be similar to get them shipped to me separately and then going to a tire place to have them mounted and balanced.

I was looking at winter tire packages and wheel and the 2018 LEAF is not a model that supports the configurator...

But yes, I can select the 2018 LEAF going into Parts and Accessories -> TPMS, but it's still $59.00 for me :)

I ended up getting Michelin X-Ice 3's and one thing that has surprised me so far is how loud new winters are in EV's!

Quick question does anyone know the ideal PSI to fill to for optimal mileage?

Generally the higher the psi the better range, but there are other factors. I'll try 40psi in mine, but let them get down to 38.

EDIT: now that I have them, I see that the X-ice tires are rated for up to 50psi. I'll probably keep them around 40-42, unless they seem slippery that high.

Before I resort to YouTube, will anyone here who has installed TPMS units on Leaf/Juke wheels tell me how to do it? I'm trying to avoid spending another $60.

Back