Expensive first maintenance in 6 months

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think that food grade silicone grease is required - any pure silicone grease should work fine. Although I too would prefer something completely non-toxic.

LeftieBiker said:
I don't think that food grade silicone grease is required - any pure silicone grease should work fine. Although I too would prefer something completely non-toxic.

Rubber/plastic-safe and dielectric are the important properties. I'm no expert on silicone greases but I do know that flashlight aficionados like to use one called "nyogel", which is dielectric and doesn't damage O-rings. For a cheaper alternative they make dielectric silicon grease for use in spark-plug wire boots that should be easy to find at an auto-parts store in small inexpensive packets. In that way you can carry forward a bit of that obsolete ICE-car technology :)

I chose the food grade grease because I knew it would be harmless to the plastic, but the grease mentioned by Nubo and LeftieBiker should be OK. Ironically, I need to grease the mechanism on my Keurig coffee pot so I have another use for the food grade grease.

Back