Turning off climate control that turned on via timer and SNOW in port

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitrabbit

Hey there, brand new 2019 LEAF owner here. I have the climate control timer set to be at 72 degrees every weekday morning at 8:10am. However this morning was a delayed start due to snow, so I tried to turn off the climate control. The car was still plugged in and the only way I could figure out to do it was to turn the car on and turn off the heat BUT as soon as I turned the car off again, the heat came back on.

I do notice that if I unplug the car, the climate control stops, but I wanted to keep charging because the battery wasn't full yet! The app only seems to have a way to turn climate control ON, not to turn it off.

Help? Is there any way to make the car stop heating when it turned on automatically?

Relatedly -- there was a lot of snow in the charging port area this morning -- is this a problem? I imagine Nissan planned for this, since many people charge outside. But should I worry about it at all? Is there anything I can do to keep snow out of there? The door won't partially close or anything.

rabbitrabbit said:
Relatedly -- there was a lot of snow in the charging port area this morning -- is this a problem? I imagine Nissan planned for this, since many people charge outside. But should I worry about it at all? Is there anything I can do to keep snow out of there? The door won't partially close or anything.
Obviously, having the charge cable plugged in prevents snow from infiltrating the actual connector, so your only exposure is the few seconds between unplugging and snapping the cover flap back on. As for the rest of the charge port cavity, maybe look into one of the new ultra-hydrophobic sprayable coatings (I think Rust-oleum sells some, among others)? Unless enough snow/ice accumulates to mechanically interfere with accessing the connections, I don't think it's an issue, though.

rabbitrabbit said:
Where is the climate timer disable button? I only know about the charging timer disable button.

That's the one I was referring to. I was wondering if it might disable all timer-mediated functions. Did you try it?

the only way would be to go into menu and turn off the climate timer for the day. or change the time. At least, that's how it is with my 2015 S

I keep a cheap ($1) paintbrush tied to the J1772 with 12 inches of string. Before unplugging the J1772, I brush the loose snow out from around the connector; otherwise, a chunk of snow will fall into the port right when you unplug.

I have decided that timed preheat is not so helpful when it snows: it's easiest to brush-off the windshield when the snow is still fluffy powder. Once the car has preheated, the bottom layer of snow (touching the windshield) turns to slush. If the snow started as powder, this just makes it harder to brush the snow off. The worst-case is when your schedule changes (like, the toilet backs-up and you leave for work a half-hour late). Then, the layer of slush can slide halfway down the windshield into the drain channel and re-freeze as a 5" deep icicle. Then, while your neighbors are easily brushing powder snow off their windshields, you will be hacking at ice with a scraper. And the only way to get rid of frozen slush in the drain channel is to bring the car to an indoor garage and flush with a garden hose.

When 1"+ snow is in the forecast, I have resigned myself to going outside 10+ minutes before departure to brush away snow, then hit the power button twice to manually preheat, then blow and/or shovel, then depart.

BTW, the timer-cancel button is below-left of the steering wheel. It looks like a clock. I've used it to cancel timed charging, but not timed preheat. It may do both.

(typing this as I put my Sorels on to go shovel)

Back