Had new 220 outlet installed but get fault light

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smkettner said:
Rigatony said:
Does it matter which Clipper Creek unit or will they all work?
ALL CC L2 work on 208-240 service. But go ahead and call them to verify before you click and buy.
Customer service is very helpful.

Then it is just a matter of getting the right amp rating and plug to match. Call today.

Thanks for the help, I’ll check em out.....

For fastest charging, get the Clipper Creek model that matches the circuit rating of your new receptacle. If the receptacle is a NEMA 14-50 (typical for ranges and RVs) fed from a 50-ampere breaker, then the HCS-50P (with 14-50 plug) will let the car draw its maximum current even with severe voltage drop. The HCS-40P (with 14-50 plug) is suitable for a 40-ampere circuit and is less expensive. It will allow the car to draw up to 32 amperes which is almost maximum current at 208 volts. Those units are also available with 6-50 plugs (typical for welders) so make sure you specify the correct plug when ordering. I have an HCS-50P plugged in to an RV receptacle at my workshop garage which is fed at 208 volts. It works great and matches the rating of the receptacle. My 2015 usually draws 30 amperes because the voltage is typically 212, but it could go higher if the voltage drops under heavy power system load. If cost is a concern, I suggest the HCS-40P (32 amperes), but the HCS-50P has a heavier duty cord and plug.

smkettner said:
Rigatony said:
Does it matter which Clipper Creek unit or will they all work?
ALL CC L2 work on 208-240 service. But go ahead and call them to verify before you click and buy.
Customer service is very helpful.

Then it is just a matter of getting the right amp rating and plug to match. Call today.

Got my ClIpper Creek LCS 30p charger, works great....got a rebate from electric company that paid for it...even better. Thank you for the help!

Very nice. Apparently the installation was just fine. 208 is just a common lower cost method to distribute power to a higher density development.

Shame on Nissan to not provide a compatible evse.

smkettner said:
Very nice. Apparently the installation was just fine. 208 is just a common lower cost method to distribute power to a higher density development.

Shame on Nissan to not provide a compatible evse.

It's an astounding error for a company that's been in the EV business for nearly a decade now.

Congrats due to the folks here that figured this out. I'm too lazy to read the entire thread or I would call out the smart ones by name.

Please be so kind as to let us know just what was the problem and its fix.
As I am finally getting my year old Clipper Creek installed soon. :D
Thanks....... :?:

imwithstoopid said:
The issue is with the Nissan L2 EVSE is not compatible with very common 208 volt electric service. Must have 240 volt service.
ClipperCreek is good to go.

Before a product is simply condemned for one aspect of its operation, I think it is best to consider the totality of all its features along with its perceived shortcomings in order to make a better comparison with competing products.

smkettner said:
imwithstoopid said:
The issue is with the Nissan L2 EVSE is not compatible with very common 208 volt electric service. Must have 240 volt service.
ClipperCreek is good to go.

This strikes me as strange. If I'm not mistaken, a Japan EVSE would normally see 200V. You'd think they would have made a single EVSE design that could be used in all of LEAF's biggest markets -- Japan, North America, UK

Nubo said:
This strikes me as strange. If I'm not mistaken, a Japan EVSE would normally see 200V. You'd think they would have made a single EVSE design that could be used in all of LEAF's biggest markets -- Japan, North America, UK
Read the threads. Everyone has been baffled by what seems to be a completely brain dead design limitation.

davewill said:
Nubo said:
Read the threads. Everyone has been baffled by what seems to be a completely brain dead design limitation.

I've read quite a few and of course failure to accomodate 208V is baffling for the North American market. I don't recall the issue of Japan 200V standard being raised. Perhaps it was, but I'm not going to read every post ever made to find out :p

Back