2011 Nissan Leaf rapid charger not initialising

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bashe101

My first post.
Hi, I bought my wife a leaf 2011 with only 23k on clock - great for local school runs etc. However developed a problem recently on rapid a charger port. Slow charge works fine just the rapid charge port is dead does not beep or anything when you put the plug in. Welcome any advice?
Local Nissan dealers were useless could not find a fault and nothing on diagnostics so I bought the car home today. I don't want to say how long they wanted to keep it and charge me ....... They were quoting me £3-4k as worst case senario costs..... for a problem they don't even know the answer to.

Anyone had the same issue or point me to some tips or tricks to isolate the issue.
Thanks in advance!

Thanks for asking ...It's Nissan dealerships own Rapid charger. I haven't been to another one (not many around the Midlands) but other Leafs were charging fine on it, so I didn't think the charger to be at fault.

There is no sound when you connect the ChadeMo. The car beeps when charging starts.

Were you able to Quick Charge prior to this?

Did the connector latch correctly to the vehicle? Sometimes disconnecting then reconnecting the plug solves the problem.

Was there any communication between the car and the Charger? Any error message or indication that it knew it was connected to the car?

Last rapid charge was about a month ago at the same station. It been brilliant working fine for about a year. I rarely use rapid charge maybe 7 times in the year though.

All of a sudden stopped working. The plug fits firmly and the Chademo begins its checks to link to the car however the first step it runs is Initialisation and this errors or fails. Nothing further and charger stops. I repeated the step loads of times on different days and no joy.

Nissan diagnostics report says wiring on car is fine but not really eliminated anything else....

:(

When you plug Chademo in it starts the comms to the car and fails during the first check which is 'initialising' failure.... And Chademo goes back to the start.

Have other vehicles been able to charge using that exact same unit at that location recently?

Not sure what's a good crowd-sourced database for your area, but in the US, https://www.plugshare.com/ (and its apps) are GREAT!

I would try other DC FCs, to be sure. Have a pic of its connector? Some in the US use a horrible early Yazaki connector where it was easy to screw up connecting and disconnecting (first three styles at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=457969#p457969). The later version w/a yellow button is MUCH better. There are many other styles: https://www.chademo.com/products/connectors/.

If you don't fully push the connector on and properly latch it to the car, you will likely receive a communication or CAN error.

If it has problems on every known working CHAdeMO DC FCs you try (esp. if it's from a different vendor), then you could get Leaf Spy Pro and a compatible w/the app dongle for your phone OS to retrieve the DTCs, if any. Dumb question: you do have the car powered off completely before you attempt to CHAdeMO charge, right?

Is it possible for this one time when the charging failed that the car was still powered on? That would generate an error...

Car was definitely off. I will try a. Alternative Chademo to be certain before any repairs or operations are undertaken on my car.
Other cars were charging fine :(

There are a couple of stations near my house that give communication error messages and set DTC's in my car even though they charge other cars OK. My 2015 will not charge after one of these failed connections without clearing DTC's. Therefore, I recommend that you try several different fast chargers (and make sure you clear DTC's after each attempt) before concluding that your car is defective.

Back