Warning: Battery Replacement Cost Increase (now $8500)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
igorcarajo said:
I’m extremely disappointed after reading this thread. I have a 2011 Leaf that gives me 35 miles on a good day. All along I had been mentally preparing myself to fork over $5000 to get a new battery, and now it’s $8500. And if I don’t replace the battery, the car wouln’t be worth anything.

You actually sound like a great candidate for what Fenix is trying to do. Check out this thread for more info.

http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26597

proudapron said:
Politics aside, can we confirm pack replacements are really $8500? I called a dealer today and they said anywhere from $4k to $9k, seems like quite the range...

I just had my battery replaced in my 2012 Leaf. The original quote was $7,700 and I agreed to go ahead with the replacement. Then the dealer called me back and said that they had learned that an "adapter" would be required and the price would be $8,800. They had already received the new battery. So I was able to negotiate a price of $8,200 and had the new battery replaced. If your local dealer has not yet done a replacement, they may be quoting a price they can not deliver on.

Usaverageguy said:
The original quote was $7,700 and I agreed to go ahead with the replacement. Then the dealer called me back and said that they had learned that an "adapter" would be required and the price would be $8,800.

Some dealers are either careless in quoting, or looking for a way to tack-on whatever they can get ($1100 negotiated down to $500 in your case). For other Leaf owners getting battery swaps, it may be prudent to get three quotes first (if you live near 3+ dealers). Be sure to only authorize work in the amount you discussed (*). If the first dealer "discovers" that the price needs to go up by $1k, then go to one of the other dealers... even if the first says they "already ordered and received the battery," as in USaverageGuy's case.

(*)those dealer work authorizations have too much fine print to read+understand. If anyone here knows how to make a dealer "work to a bid price", it would be helpful to hear.

Usaverageguy said:
I just had my battery replaced in my 2012 Leaf. The original quote was $7,700 and I agreed to go ahead with the replacement. Then the dealer called me back and said that they had learned that an "adapter" would be required and the price would be $8,800. They had already received the new battery. So I was able to negotiate a price of $8,200 and had the new battery replaced. If your local dealer has not yet done a replacement, they may be quoting a price they can not deliver on.
How many miles do you get on a full charge with your new battery?

Two questions.

What about the rebuilt ones that replace the individual modules as required (ones that are less 80%) reported to be less than $3000.

What about DIY swap? How hard is it to drop the pack down and put the new one in?

gmcjetpilot said:
What about the rebuilt ones that replace the individual modules as required (ones that are less 80%) reported to be less than $3000.
If you could point me to where it says they're available in the US...

You can get a 15% discount ($500 max) from Costco that can be used at a nearby Nissan dealer for parts and service. It should be good for the battery replacement up to $500....

https://www.costcoauto.com/parts_and_service/

cwerdna said:
gmcjetpilot said:
Are you being rhetorical or just lazy? Do your own research. Google it. There are used and aftermarket batteries, but forgot where I saw them. This article states Nissan has launched a program this year in Japan, but will extend to other countries.

"torque news"
By Armen Hareyan G+ Mar 27 2018
Nissan's Battery Exchange Program Details and Cost for Old Leaf Owners

Nissan is doing something really big for old Leaf owners exchanging their batteries. For now it starts in Japan, but later will spread. Here are the details and cost of Nissan Leaf's batter exchange program.

There is the used market, salvaged LEAF's.

Nissan has made no official remarks about extending the refurbished battery program to the US as far as I know. It would be big news if/when it happens and it would be all over this site if it was operational.

You can probably find someone to replace your pack with a used one but Nissan will have no part of it. There are threads here where people have done it so you can gauge for yourself how hard it is. I'd say it's about as hard as swapping an engine in an old VW Beetle or something similiar so it's not that hard.

The big differences are 1) the voltages in the pack can kill you so you need to understand enough about electricity and circuits to be safe and 2) there are computerized parts that either need to be swapped or re-programmed by the dealer so the recipient car will work with the donor battery pack.

Then there are all the usual caveats about buying used parts. How can you tell the battery's condition, etc and whether it is truly compatible with the recipient car, etc. Lots of info on the threads where this has been done.

goldbrick said:
Nissan has made no official remarks about extending the refurbished battery program to the US as far as I know. It would be big news if/when it happens and it would be all over this site if it was operational.

You can probably find someone to replace your pack with a used one but Nissan will have no part of it. There are threads here where people have done it so you can gauge for yourself how hard it is. I'd say it's about as hard as swapping an engine in an old VW Beetle or something similiar so it's not that hard.

The big differences are 1) the voltages in the pack can kill you so you need to understand enough about electricity and circuits to be safe and 2) there are computerized parts that either need to be swapped or re-programmed by the dealer so the recipient car will work with the donor battery pack.

Then there are all the usual caveats about buying used parts. How can you tell the battery's condition, etc and whether it is truly compatible with the recipient car, etc. Lots of info on the threads where this has been done.
Good to know, so depending on who Nissian got to do the pack refurbishments (it's a vendor) and how well it goes, it may or may not come to North America. I suspect the reported $3000 for a pack that is already 20% down may not be worth it.

Youtube has some videos on dropping the pack and taking modules out and apart. Lost my taste for removing individual modules. It can be done however....

Yes, need to have balanced cells and same chemistry. I have a lizard battery circa 2015 (actual manufacture late 2014). I would need similar chemistry if I retained some modules from original pack. As you say the electronics all have to match. Makes more sense to get a used pack from a salvaged LEAF (totaled due to collision) and swap the whole pack.

I'm away from having to do anything. This battery should go 3-6 more years or more. Who knows??? I've been meaning to post my Leaf spy pro readings for a diagnosis on the forum. The other option is sell the LEAF and wait to buy a used BOLT or Kona. However battery degradation is a given on all EV's, but the non liquid cooled smaller packs (LEAF) seem to suffer the most..

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

gmcjetpilot said:
cwerdna said:
gmcjetpilot said:
Are you being rhetorical or just lazy? Do your own research. Google it. There are used and aftermarket batteries, but forgot where I saw them. This article states Nissan has launched a program this year in Japan, but will extend to other countries.

"torque news"
By Armen Hareyan G+ Mar 27 2018
Nissan's Battery Exchange Program Details and Cost for Old Leaf Owners

Nissan is doing something really big for old Leaf owners exchanging their batteries. For now it starts in Japan, but later will spread. Here are the details and cost of Nissan Leaf's batter exchange program.
Ouch!

I asked:
cwerdna said:
Why don't you be not "lazy" or "rhetorical" and point me to where?

I'm active on this forum and some EV related sites at least 90% of the days of the year, on most days, multiple times/day. If it were available in the US or there was a time frame announced, I'd know about it. I don't particularly find it useful to point to things that aren't available to us in the US as a current possibility.

I don't read Torque News much partly because I and some other folks here (esp. moderators) and some admins of some Leaf FB groups don't like how they disseminate their content, some of which is click bait.

I've never seen any statement that it is available in the US nor that it will spread here. As for spreading anywhere else, I don't recall any of that. It's possible that Torque News's statement is speculation or wishful thinking. For example, in the below, I don't see any mention of availability outside of Japan.
https://insideevs.com/nissan-introduces-refabricated-batteries-for-older-leaf-in-japan-from-new-4r-plant/
https://newsroom.nissan-global.com/releases/release-487297034c80023008bd9722aa069598-180326-01-e

The Torque News story you mention has a pointer to https://newsroom.nissan-global.com/releases/180326-04-e which is dead. The copy at https://web.archive.org/web/20180331004140/https://newsroom.nissan-global.com/releases/180326-04-e also says nothing about it spreading.

If you have a Nissan press release or some other reputable press outlet (w/confirmation from Nissan corporate) stating that it will spread, esp. to the US, I'm all ears.

See https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1116722_nissan-begins-offering-rebuilt-leaf-battery-packs and https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1116042_nissan-leaf-refurbished-batteries-offered-for-older-electric-cars-in-japan that are dated later than your pointer that has not given us any assurance that it'll be available in the US nor the time frame.

What goldbrick posted is spot on.

Which reputable supplier currently provides aftermarket Leaf batteries in the US? I've heard of none. Used? I can't think of any in that boat either.

From salvage or wrecked Leafs? Sure, you could get those...

cwerdna said:
I'm active on this forum and some EV related sites at least 90% of the days of the year, on most days, multiple times/day. If it were available in the US or there was a time frame announced, I'd know about it. I don't particularly find it useful to point to things that aren't available to us in the US as a current possibility.

I don't read Torque News much partly because I and some other folks here (esp. moderators) and some admins of some Leaf FB groups don't like how they disseminate their content, some of which is click bait..... blah blah.
That is my point. You knew the answer ("I would know about it") and instead of saying that, you asked me a question "would you mind telling me...." being snarky, condescending and sarcastic.... You prove by your rant your question was disingenuous.

The Nissan reman batteries ($3000 usd at least 80%) are only in Japan at this time. Yep. Sorry you are so pissed off; forgive me, but your question came off you know all trolling, not interested in an answer, so it pissed me off. I'm over it. Sorry I did not know you knew everything. Have a nice day and all the best.

^^^
Sigh. I posted a request and instead, you were hostile and hostile again.

I am interested in an answer. Turn around and look at the tone of your replies.
gmcjetpilot said:
And, yet, you haven't pointed to any other reputable sources that corroborate the bolded claim.
gmcjetpilot said:
gmcjetpilot said:
The Nissan reman batteries ($3000 usd/ at least 80%) are only in Japan at this time.
Neither of us live in Japan.

I do not know everything but as goldbrick said, if Nissan made refurb packs available in the US, it would be all over EV press. It would be mentioned ALL the time as a possibility on the various Leaf FB groups I'm on and here when someone is down 4 bars and past warranty. If there was an announcement as to US time frame, the same things apply.

cwerdna said:
^^^

"Neither of us live in Japan." No kidding Captain obvious. :shock: :roll: :lol: Bye...

PS I am keeping the good info for myself... since you are being such an angry fart...

gmcjetpilot said:
cwerdna said:
^^^

"Neither of us live in Japan." No kidding Captain obvious. :shock: :roll: :lol: Bye...

PS I am keeping the good info for myself... since you are being such an angry fart...

@cwerdna, the dude doesn't know squat, but he's too small to admit it. Stop feeding the troll.

Since refurb discussion has come up here a bunch of times, I guess I'll add this, which I stumbled across today (from Sept 2018).

Turning over a new LEAF
https://www.rematec.com/news/news-articles/turning-over-a-new-leaf/
“The simple fact is that we don’t have many LEAF batteries coming back to us yet…We launched the first-gen LEAF in 2010, and most of these vehicles are still on the road and performing without issues”
As I posted in another thread:
This isn't surprising since I suspect many Leafs in Japan haven't lost 4 capacity bars within the capacity warranty due to climate reasons. I know of one that did which was used on a V2H system. And, I suspect the rest get dumped by the owner and exported outside Japan due their "shaken" inspection system before it gets too risky/costly to continue to own.

powersurge said:
This seems wonderful... BUT we do not know WHAT was done, and whether the effect is temporary.

I remember that you could rejuvenate NiCad batteries by shocking them with higher voltage and amperage... But I do not know how long that "hack" worked....

The cells would fail due to growth of metallic crystals ("dendrites") that would pierce the separator and cause a short. A high-current "jolt" could sever the short-circuit by essentially blasting the dendrite. This was a very short-term remedy that would allow the decrepit battery to limp along to some degree with its dendrites and pierced separator, until another dendrite made contact with the opposite electrode to cause another short. It was certainly nothing resembling "rejuvenation", more like a shot of novocaine allowing you to walk on a broken ankle.

LeftieBiker said:
A physical jolt would sometimes work as well.

Putting those two together, someone should open up the Leaf battery and physically jolt the battery by piercing the separator with a dendrite! That will DEFINITELY "rejuvenate" the cell! ;-)

Back