Despicable: Japan to Resume Commercial Whaling

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday, I wrote a detailed commentary about this issue, but I erased it because I thought it would stir controversy.. Truth is this topic did not need me to make it controversial..

This thread shows me how absolutely %^&* some people on this site can be... Some poor person started a Humane-related topic, and you turned it into pissing contest....

I think that all of us Leaf owners have been too exposed to the electro-magnetic fields of the Leaf's battery under our asses for too long, and is making us all nuts...

What will solve the ethical issues for omnivores, although who knows when/if it will happen:
Bay Area companies race to get the first cell-based ‘meat’ to market
https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/article/Bay-Area-companies-race-to-get-the-first-13512738.php

You could call it a meat race.

A select group of Bay Area and international companies is vying to get the first cell-based meat to market: that is, a meat product created entirely with in-vitro cells derived from chicken, fish, beef or pork, rather than from slaughtered animals. Proponents say the technology promises to be a more sustainable, safe and humane way to feed the world’s booming population of meat eaters. . . .

Yet there are some barriers: Not a single country in the world has approved the technology yet. The science needs to develop to get production to scale, and perhaps most important, the public needs to be convinced of the idea. But at least four Bay Area companies are determined that cell-based meat, which differs from plant-based alternatives like the Impossible Burger because it contains cells derived from animals, is the way of the future, and that the future is very near.

Last month, the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Food and Drug Administration announced that it would jointly oversee the regulation of cell-based meat — also known as cultured or lab-grown meat — which Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue has said could begin as soon as 2019. And while the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association and other industry groups have urged the USDA not to allow such products to be called “beef” or “meat,” a few global food corporations have gotten on board. Tyson Foods and Cargill have both invested in Memphis Meats, a Berkeley cell-based meat company that has raised over $20 million in funding.

With recent climate-related wildfires and a U.N. report warning of an ever-more escalated pace of climate change, Bay Area entrepreneurs say the meat revolution can’t happen soon enough. Traditional animal-based agriculture is responsible for 14.5 percent of human-made global greenhouse gas emissions, according to the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization, and many say it can’t meet rising demand.

At scale, cell-based meat would be responsible for only a fraction of the GHG emissions and land and water use, and require much less energy, according to a 2011 study from the University of Oxford and the University of Amsterdam. . . .

Bay Area cell-based meat companies are busy working out two main issues to move the technology forward: discovering which cell lines to use for their various beef, poultry, pork and seafood products, and finding the best media, what some call “nutrient broths,” in which to grow cells. (In medicine, in-vitro cells usually grow in fetal bovine serum. Cultured meat companies plan to use plant-based media instead, for cost and ethical reasons. . . .)

The industry is moving forward despite the fact that 78 percent of respondents in a 2014 Pew Research Study said they would not eat meat grown in a lab. . . .

When people get more information, their attitude changes, says Steve Myrick, vice president of operations at Memphis Meats, pointing to more recent surveys.

“The more familiar people are, the more likely they are to want to eat it,” he said through email.

Once companies finalize their products, they’ll have to perform toxicology tests and follow other protocols for approval from the FDA. The USDA will then oversee labeling and production.

“We know our consumers want to feel safe and want to know where (the food) is coming from,” says Brian Spears, CEO and co-founder of New Age Meats, a startup that operates out of the San Francisco accelerator Indiebio.

To dispel some of the mystery, Spears plans to sell cell-based pork sausages alongside what he calls “other products of technology,” such as beer and bread. He envisions serving them first in a Bay Area brew pub with matching brewing vats for making beer and growing meat.

If that happens, it would be, as Jones said of his first taste of cell-based chicken, a leap into a different dimension.

powersurge said:
jonathanfields4ever said:
A bunch of neckbeards in the most polluting and resource destroying first world nations criticizing another country for killing a handful of whales while using electronics essentially made by slaves with resources bought from groups committing brutal atrocities in Africa. Cool thread, guys.

I’ll just say this: you’re probably doing more harm than good. The whaling industry in Japan is not a money-maker. It is propped up by the government, and they have to come up with weird schemes to get rid of the meat like putting it in school lunches. Right wing politicians get public support for this corporate welfare by claiming whale meat is an important part of Japan’s culinary history (it’s not) and that foreigners are trying to take it away. When you make threads like this and say racist stuff like “that’s the problem with the Asian race,” you’re giving ammunition to those who whale.

OK... Let's see... The title of this post is "Despicable"... I think we can all agree that Japan's practice of hunting Whales, Sharks, Turtles, and other animals IS WRONG. It is BIG MONEY because those countries have a strange appetite for these things... So you and my friend "Leftie" are incensed and call it "racist" that I used the word "Asians"? Come on. By the way I highly respect the Japanese people, their country, and their culture. We in the west could learn a lot by following their customs and ways of life...

Oh, by the way, I think that it is Passé of you to pull out your RACIST rant that the west uses products made by "slaves" and you talk about ancient transgressions in "Africa". Let's make things clear... NOBODY, who is alive today, has a moral, ethical, or legal responsibility to make any retribution or blame for any actions that may have been committed by previous generations of people who look like them.. Similarly, no one who is alive today is entitled to any different treatment or retribution because they happen to look like previous groups which were exposed to transgressions. I would LOVE to discuss these political issues with you on another thread...

I agree that first world nations are guilty of extreme pollution of the planet, especially trash, which has also polluted the oceans and other ecosystems. But I will not let anyone start mud-slinging because someone is AGREEING WITH THE ORIGINAL POSTER that a country (or a race, like Asians) are killing or abusing Animals (or people). Let's keep this thread on track... YES IT IS DESPICABLE THAT JAPAN IS GOING TO START KILLING WHALES FOR NON-ESSENTIAL REASONS.. IF YOU DISAGREE.... YOU CAN GO YONDER...

Wow... you either didn’t read my post or you didn’t understand it. Calm down, re-read it, and then respond. Nothing you said had anything to do with what I said.

GRA said:
What will solve the ethical issues for omnivores, although who knows when/if it will happen:
Bay Area companies race to get the first cell-based ‘meat’ to market
https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/article/Bay-Area-companies-race-to-get-the-first-13512738.php

You could call it a meat race.

A select group of Bay Area and international companies is vying to get the first cell-based meat to market: that is, a meat product created entirely with in-vitro cells derived from chicken, fish, beef or pork, rather than from slaughtered animals. Proponents say the technology promises to be a more sustainable, safe and humane way to feed the world’s booming population of meat eaters. . . .

Yet there are some barriers: Not a single country in the world has approved the technology yet. The science needs to develop to get production to scale, and perhaps most important, the public needs to be convinced of the idea. But at least four Bay Area companies are determined that cell-based meat, which differs from plant-based alternatives like the Impossible Burger because it contains cells derived from animals, is the way of the future, and that the future is very near.

Last month, the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Food and Drug Administration announced that it would jointly oversee the regulation of cell-based meat — also known as cultured or lab-grown meat — which Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue has said could begin as soon as 2019. And while the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association and other industry groups have urged the USDA not to allow such products to be called “beef” or “meat,” a few global food corporations have gotten on board. Tyson Foods and Cargill have both invested in Memphis Meats, a Berkeley cell-based meat company that has raised over $20 million in funding.

With recent climate-related wildfires and a U.N. report warning of an ever-more escalated pace of climate change, Bay Area entrepreneurs say the meat revolution can’t happen soon enough. Traditional animal-based agriculture is responsible for 14.5 percent of human-made global greenhouse gas emissions, according to the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization, and many say it can’t meet rising demand.

At scale, cell-based meat would be responsible for only a fraction of the GHG emissions and land and water use, and require much less energy, according to a 2011 study from the University of Oxford and the University of Amsterdam. . . .

Bay Area cell-based meat companies are busy working out two main issues to move the technology forward: discovering which cell lines to use for their various beef, poultry, pork and seafood products, and finding the best media, what some call “nutrient broths,” in which to grow cells. (In medicine, in-vitro cells usually grow in fetal bovine serum. Cultured meat companies plan to use plant-based media instead, for cost and ethical reasons. . . .)

The industry is moving forward despite the fact that 78 percent of respondents in a 2014 Pew Research Study said they would not eat meat grown in a lab. . . .

When people get more information, their attitude changes, says Steve Myrick, vice president of operations at Memphis Meats, pointing to more recent surveys.

“The more familiar people are, the more likely they are to want to eat it,” he said through email.

Once companies finalize their products, they’ll have to perform toxicology tests and follow other protocols for approval from the FDA. The USDA will then oversee labeling and production.

“We know our consumers want to feel safe and want to know where (the food) is coming from,” says Brian Spears, CEO and co-founder of New Age Meats, a startup that operates out of the San Francisco accelerator Indiebio.

To dispel some of the mystery, Spears plans to sell cell-based pork sausages alongside what he calls “other products of technology,” such as beer and bread. He envisions serving them first in a Bay Area brew pub with matching brewing vats for making beer and growing meat.

If that happens, it would be, as Jones said of his first taste of cell-based chicken, a leap into a different dimension.
I got a marketing name for that. Let's call it "Soylent Green".

jonathanfields4ever said:
Wow... you either didn’t read my post or you didn’t understand it. Calm down, re-read it, and then respond. Nothing you said had anything to do with what I said.
You handled that well. I just block.

LeftieBiker said:
Most of them will keep buying animal meat until it becomes too expensive compared to cultured "meat."
Of course. Cultured meat, like meat substitutes, is too expensive for most people now even if food neophobia weren't a factor (and the stuff looked, smelled and tasted just like the regular article). It's a luxury item, just like home computers or big screen TVs or cell phones once were. So, it will be introduced at the high end, and gradually expand its market downwards as it becomes more affordable. If and when it gets to the price cross-over point with regular meat is when sales will take off, but as it gets close to that point a growing population of people who want to make the switch for ethical reasons will be able to do so, just like the adoption pattern for PEVs for similar ideological reasons.

johnlocke said:
I got a marketing name for that. Let's call it "Soylent Green".
You're late. I suggested that people like myself concerned by the ethics of meat-eating could adopt the real Soylent Green approach, but I also doubted that that would be a popular option, and the quantities would be limited in any case!

Cultured meat, like meat substitutes, is too expensive for most people now even if food neophobia weren't a factor (and the stuff looked, smelled and tasted just like the regular article).

Dry textured vegetable protein, bought from a bulk bin, is cheaper than all but the lowest grade of hamburger meat. Likewise bulk tofu.

LeftieBiker said:
Cultured meat, like meat substitutes, is too expensive for most people now even if food neophobia weren't a factor (and the stuff looked, smelled and tasted just like the regular article).
Dry textured vegetable protein, bought from a bulk bin, is cheaper than all but the lowest grade of hamburger meat. Likewise bulk tofu.
Which is irrelevant if most people won't eat it, because it doesn't look, smell or taste anything like meat. We're talking about direct meat replacements, not substitutions of something completely different. Otherwise, we would all be vegans.

Trying to equate eating whales with eating pigs has problems as an argument, but it isn't off-topic. Talking about meat substitutes in this context is a bit OT, but not all that much.

I lived in Japan for 3 and a half years and tried whale meat. I didn't think it was that good.
I don't see the point of it all.

LeftieBiker said:
Deer hunting is hugely popular in North America, despite the fact that venison tastes terrible.
Taste is entirely personal so your claim is overbroad, and while I've never eaten it and don't intend to (eat Bambi or Bambi's mom? Never!), IIRR venison is about the lowest fat meat around. See https://www.nutritionadvance.com/types-of-meat/

I know a LOT of people who like Deer including Arby's..

https://www.today.com/food/arby-s-roll-out-popular-venison-sandwiches-nationwide-t117364

besides aren't you a vegetarian? Stick to what you know!

DaveinOlyWA said:
I know a LOT of people who like Deer including Arby's..

https://www.today.com/food/arby-s-roll-out-popular-venison-sandwiches-nationwide-t117364

besides aren't you a vegetarian? Stick to what you know!

You have no idea what I know. I was raised in a deer hunting family, in a deer hunting region. I ate venison about as many times I could stand as a kid, from deer steaks to a stew the local Italians call (spelling approximate) "sufreto," made from the internal organs. I wasn't a vegetarian until I was 18. Ironically, it was because my father accused me of hypocrisy for not liking hunting but still eating meat, that I became one.

Back