2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SageBrush said:
LeftieBiker said:
From https://electrek.co/2019/01/08/nissan-leaf-plus-62kwh/

The battery pack cells are made by LG and are still passively cooled, which has been an issue in the past. However, Doi says Nissan has learned a lot in the almost decade of the LEAF and now believes that, even with the tighter pack, batteries will keep their capacity longer than ever. Nissan offers a 8 years/160,000 km (whichever occurs first) warranty on the battery
Where have I heard that before.

Its not like improving on their degradation history is some sort of massive hurdle. Changing vendors was likely more than enough

I'm guessing the 62 kWh battery will not be able to fit into the existing 40 kWh chassis?

The cells are still made in-house and are not from LG (as was rumored in the past).

My updated article is here:

https://electricrevs.com/2019/01/08/nissan-spills-the-details-on-the-leaf-e-plus/

jdcbomb said:
I'm guessing the 62 kWh battery will not be able to fit into the existing 40 kWh chassis?

The new pack is slightly higher (thicker) but the difference is not readily apparent from looking at or sitting in the car.

The cells and pack internals are now welded differently which allows things to be packed more efficiently and the cells are somewhat more energy dense.

LeftieBiker said:
From https://electrek.co/2019/01/08/nissan-leaf-plus-62kwh/

The battery pack cells are made by LG and are still passively cooled, which has been an issue in the past. However, Doi says Nissan has learned a lot in the almost decade of the LEAF and now believes that, even with the tighter pack, batteries will keep their capacity longer than ever. Nissan offers a 8 years/160,000 km (whichever occurs first) warranty on the battery

Some people prefer a passive cooled battery. Simpler, more reliable, with better battery life in cool climates with commuting usage.

I hope there are enough different EVs so most people can get close to what they want.

Nissan Leaf e+ video / commercial: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NlJX09m35s8

In Japanese but pretty easy to understand the video...although I assume they will post an English one soon.

jdcbomb said:

In Japanese but pretty easy to understand the video...although I assume they will post an English one soon.

This video shows ProPilot Park for automatically parallel-parking. Great feature! Is that only in the Japanese version? Anyone know if the U.S. Leaf Plus will have it?

jdcbomb said:
According to the press release I saw today, the 62 KWH battery is 5mm thicker than the old battery but is otherwise identical in size and shape. If true, that's a rather amazing achievement in and of itself. I doubt if Nissan will ever allow this battery to be installed in older models if that is what you're thinking.

Some people prefer a passive cooled battery. Simpler, more reliable, with better battery life in cool climates with commuting usage.

I've seen no indication that passive cooling gives "better battery life" under any conditions. It just doesn't kill them as fast in cool and cold climates. Having seen 5.5% degradation in my 40kwh pack in just six months, I don't see any promise that packing the cells even more tightly will somehow improve longevity - and without active cooling at that.

orkyle said:
jdcbomb said:

This video shows ProPilot Park for automatically parallel-parking. Great feature! Is that only in the Japanese version? Anyone know if the U.S. Leaf Plus will have it?
The Japanese 40 kWh Leaf could get it but not the US version. Who knows why?

What's wrong with the Leaf+ announcement?
1. No liquid cooling
2. No CCS charging
3. No infrastructure for Chademo chargers going above 50 kW rate
4. No pricing announced
5. No live announcement in English
6. No Carlos
7. Not performant like Tesla
8. Shorter range than Hyundai and Kia upcoming competitors.
9. AESC batteries have a reputation for short life in warm climates

^^^
#1 They don't think they need it. :) Or.... they keep thinking (or know) it's cheaper to live w/warranty replacements and live w/the reputation (which might not be well-known outside EV enthusiast circles) than to add to the cost and complexity. And, it's likely not worth it for Nissan in many regions Leaf sells in outside the US. Also, see my earlier references to Tesla. Remember that Tesla's net losses (including profitable quarters) are still over $5 billion, so far.
#2 Why would they?
#4 Bummer, but I'd imagine it's to keep their competitors guessing and on their toes. There's not much advantage in Nissan releasing the US price now when they're not making it for sale yet.
#6 A huge bummer, but he didn't do the 40 kWh unveil either. And, it seems that Nissan management/its current CEO is determined to throw the book at him. :(
#8 I wouldn't be surprised if Hyundai/Kia "competitors" are virtual vaporware in the US outside California. If it's like the Ioniq BEV, it'll be So Cal only, selling in tiny numbers.

The main advantages of the e+ over the 40kWh I can see are:

• 50% more range
  • ~25% more horsepower and ~5% more torque
  • Faster QC
  • Nicer infotainment screen and better phone integration
  • Warranty guarantees ~150 miles of range vs ~100 miles for 8 years or 100k miles (given my current 15k miles per year that's about 6.5 years)

Otherwise the cars look the same in terms of suspension, styling, and most features/capabilities.

Good to have options. More range and power for more $$ if you want it. Less range and power for less $$ if you don't.

orkyle said:
jdcbomb said:

A Japanese Nissan document about the new LEAF says Japan and Europe get the ProPilot Park feature but not the US.

I recall that last year a Nissan rep stated that the parking feature has yet to "pass US regulatory restrictions" ...not sure what this is, or if it even makes sense given Tesla, and even Ford have auto parking features for years. Maybe is a cost driven issue to keep the price down? Disappointing either way...

cwerdna said:
#1 (liquid cooling) They don't think they need it. :) Or.... they keep thinking (or know) it's cheaper to live w/warranty replacements and live w/the reputation (which might not be well-known outside EV enthusiast circles) than to add to the cost and complexity. And, it's likely not worth it for Nissan in many regions Leaf sells in outside the US. Also, see my earlier references to Tesla. Remember that Tesla's net losses (including profitable quarters) are still over $5 billion, so far.
This one is an interesting issue. There is "conventional wisdom" around here (MNL) that loss of battery capacity is related to temperature of the battery pack. A much denser pack, longer range, and a higher capacity charger should all lead to higher battery temperatures in use. This all sounds like a perfect storm. Of course, the 30kwh and 40kwh packs already headed somewhat in this direction. Nissan has countered with extended battery capacity warranties. Unfortunately nobody but Nissan has very good information on capacity loss under a wide range of conditions with a large number of vehicles. Evidently their information tells them that they will NOT lose their shirt on battery capacity warranty claims. So far they seem to be right about the 30kwh and 40kwh packs. Now, we will see about 62kwh packs.

Back