18K miles and 11 bars; is this bad?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radarguy

Hello all,

I have a 2017 Leaf with the 30KWh battery that I purchased with 7900 miles on it. I now have 18K miles (after 1 full year of ownership) and I just noticed that I'm down to 11 bars (a loss of one bar) on the Li-ion battery capacity level gauge. Is this a normal rate of decay for the battery capacity level, or am I looking at a potential problem? We generally recharge at night using the timers to get the cheapest electricity rate, and the battery often gets charged to 100%. No other problems with the charging system, batteries, or the car in general.

Thanks for any reply.

Kevin H.

Has your LEAF had the SW update done to it that corrects faulty capacity readings? This is a dealer update which corrects the issue where Low mileage 2016 and 2017 LEAFs display accelerated battery degradation. If you haven't had this done yet, that is probably why your car is displaying phantom degradation.

Read about it here.

Thanks for the great information. I'll take action on this right away and let you know the result.

Kevin H.

All,

Well, I brought my '17 Leaf in for the software update and it seemed to do the trick. I now have 12 bars again on the battery capacity meter. And I seem to have a few more miles of "range" when I get into the car in the morning after charging overnight. I hope this isn't just a cosmetic change and what I'm seeing now is truth. We'll see, I guess.

btw, I live just north of Minneapolis in Andover. It's one degree F here today with colder days coming. This morning I had 86 miles of range showing with a 100% charge. It is parked in a garage that's heated to 45F.

Thanks for all the help.

Kevin H.

Well, I brought my '17 Leaf in for the software update and it seemed to do the trick. I now have 12 bars again on the battery capacity meter. And I seem to have a few more miles of "range" when I get into the car in the morning after charging overnight. I hope this isn't just a cosmetic change and what I'm seeing now is truth. We'll see, I guess.

The range estimate on the "Guess O Meter" would also be changed by the update. Please try to see if your real world, seat of the pants, actual-miles-available range has also increased or not.

Back