NTB18-045

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdoe000007

anybody did the NTB18-045 ? I called one dealer and they told me its going to be $120. Another dealer told me its free. I called Nissan EV customer service and they told me they dont know much about it and its up to the dealer.

Regards,
John

My dealer charged me $85 for 1/2 hour of tech time and suggested I call Nissan corporate to make my case. I mentioned it in another post.

Have had no time to call yet.

Honestly, it sucks that they shipped something that cost $199 that was flaky and didn’t come out with a fix until more than a year after I had it done. So, of course, I’m past 1 year/12K miles.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go to the dealer that tells you it's free.

cwerdna said:
My dealer charged me $85 for 1/2 hour of tech time and suggested I call Nissan corporate to make my case. I mentioned it in another post.

Have had no time to call yet.
I recently got around to contacting them. After some email snafus (they kept sending email to an address they have on file that I almost never check), I finally got their email, replied w/my proof of payment and ownership. Got an email today saying I should expect to receive an $85 check within 2 to 4 weeks. Yay!

I did my TCU upgrade on 2015 SV in the middle of June, 2018. I never had any issue with drained battery. Although, the fix for previously installed units was released recently. It appears the recently upgraded 3G TCU modules already had fix. I upgraded my 12V to Lithium battery in July though, so my voltage never drops below 13.35V.

Via associated documents at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults.action?searchType=PROD&prodType=V&targetCategory=A&activeTab=3&searchCriteria.model_yr=2011&searchCriteria.make=NISSAN&searchCriteria.model=LEAF&searchCriteria.prod_ids=1141769, I was able to find a PDF of NTB18-045 at https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10143482-9999.pdf.

Unfortunately, there has been at least 1 revision (NTB18-045b). Don't know what they changed in it.

I too was recently told about an issue that might require an upgrade with this same bulletin information. The first dealer I called was completely abrasive and insisted on charging me a fee for looking at my car in order to determine if it needs any work. I clearly stated that I was told this is what I was told needed to be applied. They said fine the actual upgrade is free but you will be charged a diagnostics fee whether work is completed or not. So I re-read my email from Nissan (see below) and it states if you get push back tell Nissan Owner Services support. So I called back into Nissan and they said they can't get in the middle of if the service department requires a diagnostic fee for all cars but the upgrade should be free. Seems like a bit of slight of hand on the dealer that allows Nissan to look the other way.
So I reach out to a different dealer and before I even finished explaining my issue the service guy said he owns a leaf and he guessed what bulletin I was calling about and said it's no problem and it's free. I said do you require a diagnostic fee, he cut me off before I finished saying it and said nope. Free is free, I know what problem you are talking about, I've had the same issue. Bring it in and we'll get you fixed up.

Dear _____,

Thank you for contacting Nissan LEAF Customer Support. We appreciate hearing from you.

Your vehicle needs the countermeasure upgrade. You will need to contact your local Nissan Dealer that is equipped to work on Leaf vehicles. The bulletin number you will need to provide is: NTB18-045b. If you have any questions, or receive any pushback from the dealer, please contact us.

Please feel free to contact us again with any additional questions, through our website at www.nissanusa.com or by phone at +1 (877) 664-2738. We are here to serve you from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m. (EST) Monday through Saturday.

Thank you,

Nissan LEAF Owner Services

Nissan North America, Inc.
One Nissan Way
Franklin, TN 37067
Phone: +1 877 664-2738

LeftieBiker said:
Feel free to post the name of the dealership that tried to charge you for a free upgrade.

And the one that didn't. Let's give both good and bad press to the ones that deserve it.

Is this post about the telematics on the leaf? Mine hasnt been working since I paid the 200 to update it, i have to sign in and out and take the fuse out and sometimes wotrs but then stops working.

Deoc said:
Is this post about the telematics on the leaf? Mine hasnt been working since I paid the 200 to update it, i have to sign in and out and take the fuse out and sometimes wotrs but then stops working.

Yup, that's another symptom of the bug, as I understand it. Go get the TSB done on your car and I think you'll be happier.

cwerdna said:
Via associated documents at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults.action?searchType=PROD&prodType=V&targetCategory=A&activeTab=3&searchCriteria.model_yr=2011&searchCriteria.make=NISSAN&searchCriteria.model=LEAF&searchCriteria.prod_ids=1141769, I was able to find a PDF of NTB18-045 at https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10143482-9999.pdf.

Unfortunately, there has been at least 1 revision (NTB18-045b). Don't know what they changed in it.
I found a copy of NTB18-045b at https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10145516-9999.pdf.

The service bulletin says it applies if the current TCU part number is 283B0-3NA1A, -3NA2A, or -3NF2A. So is there is a simple way to find out the current TCU part number yourself?

Thanks,
Wayne

wwhitney said:
The service bulletin says it applies if the current TCU part number is 283B0-3NA1A, -3NA2A, or -3NF2A. So is there is a simple way to find out the current TCU part number yourself?

Thanks,
Wayne

I believe you can read the module information with Leaf Spy Pro. It may even be visible in some of the service menus you can pull up on the navigation screen. I no longer have the 2015 so I cannot try it and explain the procedure.

Back