I'm wondering what "best practice" is for how often to "cell balance" with relatively newer Leafs from 2015 to the present, including those with Lizard batteries.>> http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 77#p541248
Point of fact, you should be charging to 100% roughly once a week, just don't let it sit for too long at a high state of charge - drive it.
I've read the lengthy thread "Cell Balancing 101" http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... ll+balance
but that's an older thread from 2011 - 2012.
I've been "cell balancing" my 2015 'S' about monthly. 40k miles, about 14,000 miles per year. 2 or 3+ L2 charges per week (typically to about 85% to 90%). 12 health bars remaining.
I use the ChargePoint L2 station and their smart-phone app for cell balancing. That app provides a handy graph of kW/hr rate delivered every 5 minutes.
I can observe the charge rate ...
- being about 6.5+ kW/hr under 90% SOC
- dropping off gradually to 3 kW/hr or less at about 95% SOC,
- then zero charge rate at 100% SOC, I interpret that as "unbalanced 100% SOC"
- then three or so cycles of low charging rate to no charging
- I interpret that as "cell balancing".
- That takes 3 to 4 hours, depending on the starting SOC.