Battery health check before buying

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fahamdan

Experts,

I can not understand what is causing this difference in numbers? can you help plz

Ahr = 57.23
HX = 85.37% (It was around 87 and got lower when fully charged)
SOH = 92.16%
12 Bars on DashBoard
GIDS = 270 (96.1%) got charged when fully charged (100% on DashBoard) with 20.9 KWH as per leaf Spy
Although DashBoard shows 100% on Spyleaf it only says SOC of 97.5?
Max voltage diff 12mv
Odo = 29,000 Mile
Quick Charge =3
L1/L2 = 1276
Year 2015 SL P

My Concerns:-

1)Although SOH is 92, why is this AHR and HX showing 20% less than optimal values? please explain
2)Number of L1/L2 Charges is High for 3 Year used car, right? it could be short charge cycles I guess based the fact the car only drove 29000 Mile, right? is this bad for the Battery?
3) Is it normal the difference in the SOC between Spyleaf and DashBoard? I think yes, which is the reserved value right?
4) Would you recommend buying it? Do you think that this means, there could be a loss of soon?
5)Do you think its better to check the battery with a nissan dealer?

Any info or help will be much appreciated

Thanks

The Hx value can wander all over the place - but is usually lower than SOH when it does. I'm not sure how much variance there is in AH. Maybe it can vary with SOC?

Those numbers are almost identical to my 2015... The important number is the SOH, which is 92%.. FOrget the other numbers or try to make sense of how they are related...

I think that the battery is doing very well, and is a good bet to buy...

However, I have seen 2015s going for a lot of money... Like $13-15K... I would not spend that much on any 2015..

How much are they asking for this car?

My 2015 SV is at AHr 54, SOH 87, l1/l2 1734 mi 34700 with 12 bars still showing.

Concern #2: I have about the same l1/l2 proportion to my higher mileage. Looks about right for a combination of opportunity charging and various other reasons for an extra charge now and then.
C #5: Dealer battery heath check is an almost useless piece of paper.

I concur that it should be a good Leaf. Find out when it was purchased by the 1st owner to see how much of the 3, 5, and 8 year warranties are left.

I want to buy a used Leaf, problem is I live in northern Mexico and there are very few here, so I need to buy one remotely in the US and have it trucked to the border. Apparently the battery SOH is a key piece of the decision, and since I can't be there, I'm wondering if a car pre-buy inspection by a Nissan dealer with Leaf experience would include useful battery SOH info in the report. The inspection is typically $125-150 - so this would be essential to a successful remote purchase.

JT23456 said:
I want to buy a used Leaf, problem is I live in northern Mexico and there are very few here, so I need to buy one remotely in the US and have it trucked to the border. Apparently the battery SOH is a key piece of the decision, and since I can't be there, I'm wondering if a car pre-buy inspection by a Nissan dealer with Leaf experience would include useful battery SOH info in the report. The inspection is typically $125-150 - so this would be essential to a successful remote purchase.

There is nothing the dealer can give you regarding the battery that would reliably help you; only a direct (CAN bus) measurement of the vehicle will give you the information you need to make an educated decision...and that assumes no "funny stuff" (BMS reset, etc.).

JT23456 said:

I'd say that you need to do two things: only buy a car with a Nissan certified used car warranty (because they usually check those over better), and find someone to look at the car in person and run LeafSpy on it. Even then, as Stanton noted, there is the risk of a recent BMS reset that would mask lost bars. You may get lucky and find a dealership with a Leaf tech who knows how to use LeafSpy, but don't count on that.

What about the option of only considering used Leafs that have had a recent factory/dealer battery replacement - with paperwork of course.

JT23456 said:
What about the option of only considering used Leafs that have had a recent factory/dealer battery replacement - with paperwork of course.

Sure, that would work, but there aren't many of those around, and most will be older Leafs with no warranty other than (IIRC?) a one year warranty on the new battery. The 2011-2012 Leafs have poor, energy sucking heaters, so if you live at a higher elevation that may be an issue.

Back