Hyundai Kona Electric

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More importantly from my perspective re winter and heat pumps, the article also states:
According to Kia, the North American version of the 2019 Niro EV will come standard with a heat pump to more efficiently assist with cabin heating and the dedicated battery heater will be an optional feature. In the 2020 Soul EV, both the heat pump and battery heater are listed as optional features.
As I'm more interested in those two vehicles than the Kona, this is great news for me. I sent Kia an email back in October asking for this*. Whether or not it had any effect on their decision I don't know, but maybe if enough people who are interested in the Kona email Hyundai asking for it (maybe saying they'll opt for some other BEV instead for that reason) they'll realize they're making a mistake, and offer both at least as options.

*https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24027&start=90#p538961

GetOffYourGas asked me in October if I'd ever gotten a response from Kia, and I hadn't, but this will do nicely :D Now we just need them to add AWD, as there's already room (in the Niro at least) for a compact spare, which was also on my wish list (don't think the well can hold a full-size, but I'll take what I can get).

alozzy said:
@jjeff Thunderbay, Ontario isn't too far from you and they have Hyundai dealerships too :lol:
Yes we drove through TB ON at least twice/year. On our way to Rossport ON and back home a week later :)
Everytime we drive through TB I'm surprised by how many Mitsubishi and even Smart cars we see, NEVER seen a Prius though, very few Toyota's in general, they are VERY common in MN and especially in the MSP area.
Got to get my yearly fix of poutine and Greek salads not to mention Lake Superior fish and of course fresh picked wild blueberries :cool:
Can't believe MNL doesn't have a Smile of someone licking their lips, use that one all the time on my iPhone :lol:

Finally an acknowledgement from Hyundai on my Canadian Kona electric pre-order ($1000 deposit July 23/18- no response or info since...until now)
"We would like to thank you for your pre-order of the 2019 Kona electric. We truly appreciate your patience as your vehicle is being built.
As a token of our appreciation, please accept this $100 gift card for you and your family to enjoy over the holiday season.
Thank you for your continued loyalty. Have a happy holiday season!" :)

Sounds like the Kona Electric will be available in California this month:

http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/25689/2019-hyundai-kona-electric-review-the-longest-range-electric-car-you-can-buy-thats-not-a-tesla

Lucky Californians!

alozzy said:
Sounds like the Kona Electric will be available in California this month:

http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/25689/2019-hyundai-kona-electric-review-the-longest-range-electric-car-you-can-buy-thats-not-a-tesla

Lucky Californians!
Will be interesting to see the sales/lease figures and to see if it's basically So Cal only virtual vaporware that ships in tiny quantities (e.g. averaging under 50 units/month) or if they're actually serious.

For comparison, per https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/, a whopping 345 Ioniq EVs were sold in the US for 2018. For 2018, the worst month was 3 and the highest I see was 60.

cwerdna said:
Will be interesting to see the sales/lease figures and to see if it's basically So Cal only virtual vaporware that ships in tiny quantities (e.g. averaging under 50 units/month) or if they're actually serious.

Indeed, it does sometimes feel like EVs will never reach critical mass. Hopefully Hyundai doesn't make just a token effort and shows some real commitment to making the Kona Electric a success.

alozzy said:
cwerdna said:

Indeed, it does sometimes feel like EVs will never reach critical mass. Hopefully Hyundai doesn't make just a token effort and shows some real commitment to making the Kona Electric a success.
It will be a long time before EVs reach critical mass in the US, if ever. Right now, in the US, the Model 3 is literally decimating everyone else in sales in the BEV space.

It will be a long time before EVs reach critical mass in the US, if ever. Right now, in the US, the Model 3 is literally decimating everyone else in sales in the BEV space.

I'm not sure it matters that much how many different make vehicles reach that critical mass, as long as they are EVs.

IEVS:
2019 Hyundai Kona Electric, Edmunds Editors’ Choice Best EV: Video
https://insideevs.com/video-hyundai-kona-electric-edmunds-best-ev/

. . . It comes as no surprise that the 2019 Hyundai Kona Electric is deemed the “Best EV” for 2019 according to the editors at Edmunds. It’s the only electric vehicle to earn an editors award this year. The rub here is, however, that an electric car must win in the category of “Best EV.” We’re looking forward to a time in the near future when electric vehicles don’t have their own separate category for these awards, and more EVs can begin to rob gas-powered cars of their rein. It surely has happened before, but it needs to become the norm. . . .
I'm not sure if the Niro was available in time for their cut-off, but it isn't listed on their site.

Also IEVS:
Hyundai Kona Electric Road Trip From Los Angeles To Las Vegas: Video
https://insideevs.com/hyundai-kona-electric-road-trip-la-vegas/

Can the Hyundai Kona Electric make the journey on a single charge?
Michael Fisher (AKA Mr. Mobile) says the Kona Electric could make it, if there weren’t so many mountains. The trip from Los Angeles to Las Vegas is a popular one and especially useful for EV range tests.

If you take the longer route past Joshua Tree National Park and through the middle of the Mojave National Preserve, you’re looking at some 326 miles and well over five hours. Fisher chose the more common, shorter route, which takes you 270 miles in about four hours. . . .
There's a video.

LeftieBiker said:
Spellcheckers really have killed proofreading, haven't they? The standard is now "As long as it's a word, it's fine." Good piece, excepting "rein."
That war was lost a long time ago, although I still find myself getting frustrated whenever I read a book that has supposedly been 'edited' by a real person, only to be distracted by the numerous spiel-chucker errors present. I spend enough time here going back and editing my own their/there/they're and similar mindfarts, even though my posts here are semi-ephemeral, don't need to represent me professionally, and I'm not getting paid to do so. Professionally printed works that include such errors really irritate me - online not so much, as we're trading immediacy for proofreading. However, I do wish someone at IEVS would take the time to clean up the grammar in Mark Kane's articles, as English appears to be a second language for him.

LeftieBiker said:
He probably "writes" his pieces by talking into a phone, and then an intern who him/herself relies on spellchecking then tries to make sense of the result.
I wasn't being sarcastic when I said english appeared to be his second language. He reports on european EV news for them. At least, I hope that's the explanation for his sometimes fractured syntax.

I don't read those sites as much as you might expect so I haven't noticed. Why don't I read them? See above. Also things like referring to a bigger battery as 'providing more horsepower'...

The Kona Electric is finally on sale in CA and OR. Overwhelmingly, the few dealerships that have them are carrying mostly the Limited and the Ultimate - almost no SEL trims available. So this car can now be purchased for the "shockingly low" price of $42-46K.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/nl-New-Hyundai-Kona-Electric-d2699

Let the obsequious awards from the Green Press continue full speed ahead....

On this note, it sounds like it'll be more widely available than the So Cal only near vaporware status the Ioniq EV was in for ages. A co-worker (who has a Model 3 now) looked into the Ioniq EV awhile ago and basically was told no since we're not in So Cal. He said that dealer recently reached out to him saying they have Kona EVs on the way or something like that.

LeftieBiker said:
I don't read those sites as much as you might expect so I haven't noticed. Why don't I read them? See above. Also things like referring to a bigger battery as 'providing more horsepower'...

A bigger battery can provide more horsepower.

There is a limit as to how much power you can take out of a given battery. It is often expressed as the "C rate", which just means the "capacity of the battery in kWh)" / "power charge or discharge".

To get to higher horsepower, you need a larger battery, or a battery that can withstand a higher C rate. Or both.

Back