GCC: DOE launches its first Li-ion battery recycling R&D center: ReCell; driving toward closed-loop recycling

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/02/20190216-recell.html

. . . Recycled materials from lithium-ion batteries can be reused in new batteries, reducing production costs by 10 to 30 percent, which could help lower the overall cost of electric vehicle (EV) batteries to DOE’s goal of $80 per kilowatt hour. . . .

The ReCell Center is supported by DOE with $15 million over three years and its work will include development of test beds and a process scaleup facility at Argonne.

The center collaborators will focus on four key research areas to enable profitable lithium-ion battery recycling for industry adoption:

• A direct cathode recycling focus will develop recycling processes that generate products that go directly back into new batteries without the need for costly reprocessing;

A focus to recover other materials will work to create technologies that cost effectively recycle other battery materials, providing additional revenue streams;

Design for recycling will develop new battery designs optimized to make future batteries easier to recycle; and

Modeling and analysis tools will be developed and utilized to help direct an efficient path of R&D and to validate the work performed within the center. . . .

I was under the impression that lithium ion batteries were not being widely recycled for their lithium and if they were being recycled it was to recover cobalt and other metals like copper, silver ect.
I think it's a good idea and I hope it works because currently there doesn't appear to be a way to mine enough materials to produce enough batteries do any kind of large scale liquid fuel phase out.

I'm guessing that direct recycling, without "reprocessing," will result in somewhat lower energy density battery products. Maybe grid buffer batteries more than EV batteries...?

I'm really disappointed that we are this far down the road in creating and marketing EVs but there isn't already good, developed solutions for the batteries at EOL. I would have thought we would by now have some substantial re-use of the battery in applications that don't require density or efficiency and then once they degrade too far, for recycling.

I vaguely recall about 5 years ago hearing that EV batteries at EOL weren't going to be a problem because when the battery was no longer suitable for EVs, they would be put to use as UPS for all those cell phone towers and for home solar supply balancing. Those applications don't require a small footprint, and a battery with 50% of its original capacity could still serve the roll for years before finally needing to be recycled. Did that every pan out?

When I replace the battery in my leaf I will likely keep the old battery and turn its modules into a 48v backup supply to replace or supplement my current 24v, 6kwh warehouse tug battery outback inverter/charger setup.
Then ebay whatever modules I don't use.

Electric scooter and even bicycle enthusiasts are using Leaf cells for scooters and bikes. Some EV car builders are also using them. But they all look for new or gently used cells or modules.

I see the prices used modules go for.
Might just ebay all of them.

As far as I know the search is still on for a grid battery that's efficient, has very cheap kwh, that lasts a long time and is made from very plentiful materials.
I can see used up lithium ion batteries becoming very plentiful in the near future.

Back