cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

selling US Leaf in SF Bay area to a Canadian?

Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:52 am

Wild question... is there significant demand for a US market Leaf in Canada located in Nor Cal?

It seems like Leafs are more $ in Canada and I briefly browsed at https://wwwa.autotrader.ca/cars/nissan/ ... ncedSearch and converted CAD to USD.

I'm asking because I am planning to sell my 11 capacity bar, 5/2013 built US market '13 SV w/premium package (so there is no CHAdeMO inlet). See Specs tab at https://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa ... -press-kit. Has under 64K miles on it.

If yes, how much do you think I could get for it? The buyer would probably want to fly down to check out the car but I'd be willing to do a Facetime or Skype call walking them thru the car inside and out first besides sending lots of pics. Then, they'd need to have it shipped, deal w/duties and retrofitting for Canadian requirements. I'd also need to be cut a check in USD.

Would I have to sell for so low that it wouldn't be worth my while? I'm having some trouble making heads or tails as to how much I can get selling it locally. Example reference prices at https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/cta ... _year=2013. Yes, I can recognize all our trim levels and know what to look for in terms of premium package or not, CHAdeMO inlet or not, etc.

Some of them seem priced too high to me (e.g. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ ... 25887.html is a S trim priced at 6K but he has only 9 bars left, https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/ ... 19343.html is asking $6250 for an SL with only 7 bars!)

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: selling US Leaf in SF Bay area to a Canadian?

Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:47 am

One thing to keep in mind; NO ONE is willing to pay the asking price on Craigslist. You need to find a way to get actual sale prices as opposed to listed.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:02 pm

^^^
Indeed. That's the tricky part.

I haven't put up my car on CL yet but I've tried Vroom, Carvana, Shift (all online) and just took it to a Carmax and a local Nissan dealer. For the online places, the offers ranged from $4K to $5K. Carmax was willing to offer $4.5K but said up to $500 more for the factory cable (they meant L1 EVSE). I forgot to bring it along. Whoops.

The Nissan dealer was interesting... so the sales droid goes to check w/the manager... and long story short, including droid asking me what I'm expecting for it, I told them what Carmax offered so if they weren't willing to go higher, there was no point. He (again, a sales droid) claimed that they just bought a '14 with ~40K miles for $1000 (!) and that "nobody" is buying them.

'19 Bolt Premier

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

webeleafowners
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:50 am

A car dealer is your worst method. They have to buy at wholesale and sell it at resale. They have to make a profit, they have to warranty it, they have to give it a safety check, they have to lean search it etc, wages are paid, sales people are commissioned, bathrooms in the dealership are cleaned, power bill for the lights is paid, property tax etc.

If the dealer intends to sell it for 4000 he needs to be at max 2000 before he can even break even.
2015 Smart Electric Drive convertible.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KWh
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:16 pm

cwerdna wrote:I haven't put up my car on CL yet but I've tried Vroom, Carvana, Shift (all online) and just took it to a Carmax and a local Nissan dealer. For the online places, the offers ranged from $4K to $5K. Carmax was willing to offer $4.5K but said up to $500 more for the factory cable (they meant L1 EVSE). I forgot to bring it along. Whoops.

Have you tried looking up prices on kijiji? That's the equivalent of Craigslist in Canada.

I also looked on ebay.ca and I found 5 2013's with prices ranging from just under CAN $10k to around CAN $12.5k, though I didn't look through each one for specifics. EDIT: never mind. All 5 were from US sellers, even though this is on ebay's Canadian site.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar at 34 months/26,435 miles. Lease returned 2 months later. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F.
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL.

Triggerhappy007
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2019

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:12 pm

Try KBB's Instant Buy. I sold my last 2 cars that way and was happy with the experience.
2019 Leaf SL ProPilot
2018 Pacifica Hybrid

cwerdna

Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:06 am

webeleafowners wrote:A car dealer is your worst method. They have to buy at wholesale and sell it at resale. They have to make a profit, they have to warranty it, they have to give it a safety check, they have to lean search it etc, wages are paid, sales people are commissioned, bathrooms in the dealership are cleaned, power bill for the lights is paid, property tax etc.

If the dealer intends to sell it for 4000 he needs to be at max 2000 before he can even break even.

I get it that dealers have overhead, but I posted my experience when selling my former 350Z at viewtopic.php?p=236352#p236352. I was getting almost no response via Craigslist. But, that dealer closed down later. Maybe they weren't so good at business? :lol: They don't have to warranty it at all. Many used cars are sold, as is.

Selling it to a car dealer is the worst method if they don't actually want to resell for themselves. At that point, they'll give no more than auction value.

'19 Bolt Premier

LeftieBiker

Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:24 am

They don't have to warranty it at all. Many used cars are sold, as is.

Many states, like NY, require a used car be warrantied by a dealer if above a certain price. $1500 here, IIRC.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna

Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:42 am

LeftieBiker wrote:

Many states, like NY, require a used car be warrantied by a dealer if above a certain price. $1500 here, IIRC.

They sure don't here. My used '13 Leaf was sold to me as is with no warranty from the dealer. It still had all the factory warranties on it.

'19 Bolt Premier

LeftieBiker

Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:24 am

cwerdna wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:

They sure don't here. My used '13 Leaf was sold to me as is with no warranty from the dealer. It still had all the factory warranties on it.

They likely don't have to offer their own warranty if the factory warranty is still in effect.

Return to “Canada”