GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Re: Does Climate Control While Plugged in Decrease Range?

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:23 am

I have charge timers set on my 2015 to allow charging only during off-peak power times. Lately, I have been using the EV Connect app to start climate control in the morning while the car is still plugged in and after charging is complete (still during off peak power time). The car always starts charging when climate control is activated and the email notification even says it is running on line power. No other actions are required. My 2011 functioned the same way except that the 3.3 kW charger did not have enough capacity to handle the maximum heater current so state of charge would drop for the first few minutes until heater power tapered down. Again, no other action was required.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015; traded 8/10/2019 at 82,436 miles
White LEAF 2019 SL+ purchased 8/10/2019

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:55 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
jjeff wrote:I always start charging first, then initiate the climate control. Not sure if that is necessary with the newer Leafs but with my '13 if I don't it totally runs off battery and uses nothing from the EVSE, even if plugged in :x My '12 is even worse in that the only way to use the EVSE and climate control is to use the preheat timer, manually running the HVAC even if plugged in results in 0 amps from the EVSE and everything coming from the battery :x :x
As Leftie said, a resistive heater can use close to 20a @ 240v itself(my '13 uses about 18a @ 240v max heat) but A/C will use quite a bit less as will a heat pump heater, especially in warmer weather.
First, the resistive heater always runs in cold weather to preheat, so that drain should be assumed even with a heat pump present. Now, about the bolded part: the climate control always takes power ONLY from the pack. The pack should always start to charge when the car is plugged in with the climate control running, so I'm not sure what you mean. If you are losing charge with the car plugged in and the CC on, it's because the EVSE isn't providing 100% of what is needed - it shouldn't be that the car is not charging from the EVSE. Are you using a charge timer?
Correct, the climate control always takes power from the battery, I think I figured out whats going on. I always have a timer set on my '13 so it wasn't during a time the timer would want to charge the car, it won't charge unless I push the timer override button which in my case initiates the battery charging which again in my case more than keeps up with the climate control as my EVSE is generally set for 19a @ 240v. Since the '12's charger maxes out at 16a @ 240v, they aren't quite able to keep up with the climate control in full heating mode, which can approach 6kw heating.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:21 pm

As I just wrote in another topic yesterday, those timers have caused a remarkable number of problems just from their complexity...
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

BeachLeaf
Delivery Date: 23 Jan 2019
Leaf Number: 312709

Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:37 pm

GerryAZ wrote:I have charge timers set on my 2015 to allow charging only during off-peak power times. Lately, I have been using the EV Connect app to start climate control in the morning while the car is still plugged in and after charging is complete (still during off peak power time). The car always starts charging when climate control is activated and the email notification even says it is running on line power. No other actions are required. My 2011 functioned the same way except that the 3.3 kW charger did not have enough capacity to handle the maximum heater current so state of charge would drop for the first few minutes until heater power tapered down. Again, no other action was required.

Hi again all, thanks for all the replies. I checked my vehicle today and noted that the JuiceBox was in charge mode when the climate control was turned on by the timer I had set. I had previously only used the blue LED's on the dash to note if charging was taking place. I only ever saw the one blue LED in the middle blinking indicating the cc was on.

So, in the end, it does appear that the car automatically starts charging once the cc turns on. I have the cc set to 76 degrees and my garage stays around 50 degrees give or take, so I suspect it's not a big demand on the heater to warm things up. I am unsure how long the cc runs.

GerryAZ, I was curious about your bolded statement above regarding receiving an email and running on line power. My app does neither of these things. In the past, when I've checked the app when the cc was on, all I saw was the state of charge of the battery (which is generally 100% b/c I've had the car plugged in all night) and all the different options for rate of charge show as 0 since the battery is at 100%.

Thanks again,

Mark
* 2015 Leaf Cayenne Red SL
*Chrome Amber Signal Bulbs
*6K LED License Lamps
*6K LED Reverse Lamps
*6K LED Fog Lamps
*Strobing 3rd Brake Light
*Fiam Freeway Blaster Dual Tone Horns
*Brushed Stainless Front Nissan Mini Novelty Plate

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:13 pm

You need to set up email notifications (and text messages) in your profile on Nissan's server. You can choose which notifications you want to receive.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015; traded 8/10/2019 at 82,436 miles
White LEAF 2019 SL+ purchased 8/10/2019

BeachLeaf
Delivery Date: 23 Jan 2019
Leaf Number: 312709

Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:41 pm

Thanks- I’ll have to investigate that further as I don’t recall any options...

Thanks,

Mark
* 2015 Leaf Cayenne Red SL
*Chrome Amber Signal Bulbs
*6K LED License Lamps
*6K LED Reverse Lamps
*6K LED Fog Lamps
*Strobing 3rd Brake Light
*Fiam Freeway Blaster Dual Tone Horns
*Brushed Stainless Front Nissan Mini Novelty Plate

Return to “Batteries & Charging”