Tesla Supercharger Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tesla is shifting to CCS. European Model 3 will have CCS socket (Combo2, similar to Combo1 for US market).
All SuperChargers (with time) on our continent will be retrofitted with CCS cable. Preparations are already in progress.
Model S and X owners will be able to get (soon) CCS adapter so they could use public 50-350kW charging networks
like Model 3.

I suspect Tesla will start shipping Model S/X with CCS socket as soon as 90+% Supercharger locations will have CCS available.
Maybe somewhere mid 2019. I'm absolutely sure Tesla will not have two sockets forever.

Question is, when will switch happen in US/Canada :geek:
Question 2 - who is the first shaking hands with Tesla on SuperCharger network access?

Tesla-Model-3-CCS.jpg

https://electrek.co/2018/11/14/tesla-model-3-ccs-2-plug-europe-adapter-model-s-model-x/

Just a remark. Teslas with CCS socket will not be able to use current ChaDeMo adapter.
I suspect CCS-ChaDeMo adapter will not be made due to redundancy (most charging stations have both, ChaDeMo is slowly abandoned.

Via Reddit: First public Tesla V3.0 Supercharger Station goes live Wed 8pm : teslamotors
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/awzcir/first_public_tesla_v30_supercharger_station_goes/

• The liquid cooled cables will actually be much thinner than the current SC cables, the coolant pump is located in the base of the white SC stall where the current cable connects and is hung up (v3 can retrofit into existing v2 chargers), and while the cabinets can support 250kW max (so I suppose it would be possible to upgrade to 250kW in the future), the individual chargers will be max 200kW.
  • PV and Power Pack integration is a part of the design spec, but no required.
  • 40% better throughput performance compared to v2 per site
  • Thermal Foldback improvements over v2
  • v3 cabinets get 5 power stages at 70kW output per power stage for 350kW AC -> DC per v3 cabinet
  • v3 cabinet also houses 2x DC-DC modules per post yielding 100kWx2 for the
    200kW delivered per post
  • Any extra power (assuming the extra 50kW the cabinets can produce versus what the chargers are delivering if the cabinet is maxed, or if only partially maxed, any extra power) can be shared across cabinets. Since multiple cabinets will be at each site, this lessens if not removes the v2 "shared" power with linked chargers
  • Site master controller is 4G LTE for communication of all diagnostics (as well as the verify car and billing of power consumed) so better knowledge when a site has a problem - leading to more proactive fixing of sites with broken/mafunctioning chargers
  • The cost reduction will come from higher power conversion efficiency (96% for v3 versus 92% for v2), less harmonics, and no overvoltage sensitivity (though the cabinets are larger and heavier than v2), ultimately leading to an approximate 20% more customers served per dollar spent on power
  • Overall AC input is 438kVA, 526A
  • * Can link up to 7 v3 cabinets per bus (or a block), which can also link to one Power Pack
  • * Cabinets are on a shared DC radial configured bus of 880-1000
  • * This is then pushed out to the chargers (posts) and DC 180-500v, 250kW max

The information leaks are so comprehensive they sound accurate. Distinctly unusual for Tesla to not keep a lid on things. Perhaps it is explained by Tesla using a 3rd party for installation.

Tomorrow's treat will be in finding out the peak charging rate for my car :D

arnis said:

I suspect CCS-ChaDeMo adapter will not be made due to redundancy (most charging stations have both, ChaDeMo is slowly abandoned.

Yep.
One more good reason to not buy a LEAF in Europe

https://www.tesla.com/blog/introducing-v3-supercharging

Faster Charging, No More Power Sharing
V3 is a completely new architecture for Supercharging. A new 1MW power cabinet with a similar design to our utility-scale products supports peak rates of up to 250kW per car. At this rate, a Model 3 Long Range operating at peak efficiency can recover up to 75 miles of charge in 5 minutes and charge at rates of up to 1,000 miles per hour. Combined with other improvements we’re announcing today, V3 Supercharging will ultimately cut the amount of time customers spend charging by an average of 50%, as modeled on our fleet data.

Supercharger stations with V3’s new power electronics are designed to enable any owner to charge at the full power their battery can take – no more splitting power with a vehicle in the stall next to you. With these significant technical improvements, we anticipate the typical charging time at a V3 Supercharger will drop to around 15 minutes.

On-Route Battery Warmup
New Supercharging infrastructure isn’t the only way we are improving our customers’ charging experience. Beginning this week, Tesla is rolling out a new feature called On-Route Battery Warmup. Now, whenever you navigate to a Supercharger station, your vehicle will intelligently heat the battery to ensure you arrive at the optimal temperature to charge, reducing average charge times for owners by 25%.

This combination of higher peak power with V3, dedicated vehicle power allocation across Supercharger sites, and On-Route Battery Warmup enables customers to charge in half the time and Tesla to serve more than twice the number of customers per hour. Additionally, we are also unlocking 145kW charge rates for our 12,000+ V2 Superchargers over the coming weeks.

average-time-charging.jpg

AWESOME, AWESOME NEWS

Someone posted this graph

upload_2019-3-7_8-28-34-png.383882

If this pans out, it is a phenomenal improvement to the network since it looks like ~ 165 average kW charging for the lower 15 - 65 SoC of the battery where long trips will oscillate.

GRA said:
I'm all for faster charging, but the interesting thing over the long term will be seeing what happens to battery degradation rates.
For the large majority that Supercharge perhaps 10% of their miles I doubt *any* effect will be noticed. Daily Supercharging will be a different story.

scottf200 said:
Elon said we slowed down the supercharger install a little in anticipation on v3 and now it will be spooled up. URL points to that part of the the Tesla Model Y presentation that mentioned it. (Lot of new (1-2yr) Tesla fans so he went thru history at beginning of Model Y pres).

https://youtu.be/Tb_Wn6K0uVs?t=1462

Yu5M5LQ.jpg
"A little". Let's see, 10k stalls worldwide by the end of 2017, as claimed in March? of that year; actual total per supercharge.info on 12/30/17, 8,352. 18k stalls by the end of 2018, as claimed in Feb? of that year; actual total on 12/30/18, 11,854, a shortfall of 6,146. One wonders how far they'd have to miss their claims by to constitute "a lot".

GRA said:
"A little".
That is one of the interesting things about Tesla. They often miss their projections by a lot, yet they are a decade ahead of everybody else and the gap is widening by the day.

No doubt they slowed down deployment waiting for the V3 roll-out. If they speed up from here on out I am a happy camper with their decision. And to give some context to Tesla "slowing down," I'll mention that they are up to 12,888 stalls world-wide per the Tesla map today. Or using the supercharge.info tabulation, that works out to about a 42% expansion of the best network by FAR in a year. And now the ENTIRE network is getting an upgrade :D

And there is more: Tesla is pushing out an OTA firmware change that will improve the charge taper in my car.I expect to average 120 kW using the old network and 160 kW using V3.

Here is another context: Tesla increased its world-wide fleet by ~ 30% in 2018. Between the additional deployment of network, speed-up of the system, and improved charging characteristics of the 2170 cell fleet, network utilization will drop by ~ (1.42*1.1)/1.3 = 20%

Tesla rocks.

Looking forward to V3. Will shave a decent chunk of time off our ~1x yearly trip to L.A. in our pending Model 3 SR. Should line up better with biobreak and grab/go meal downtime.

Otherwise, don’t think we’ll need to use it much, but peace of mind knowing it’s there.

iPlug said:
Looking forward to V3. Will shave a decent chunk of time off our ~1x yearly trip to L.A. in our pending Model 3 SR. Should line up better with biobreak and grab/go meal downtime.

Otherwise, don’t think we’ll need to use it much, but peace of mind knowing it’s there.
Related charts:
Avg time spent charging (kW)
average-time-charging.jpg

Time
jj8ypvk.png

Power (kW)
zka9ty9tnnk21.jpg

I find this chart to be the most useful

uc

But it should not be taken to imply that most stops will charge up to 90% SoC. The Supercharger network is spaced to let people leave at a much lower SoC (dependent on model) to reach the next charge. E.g., I figure I will leave most stations with ~ 60 - 70% SoC and arrive at the next one with ~ 10% SoC. That then works out to stops of 15-20 minutes.

As an aside, the V2 curve is wrong. The charge rate does not have a sharp increase after 30% SoC

SageBrush said:
As an aside, the V2 curve is wrong. The charge rate does not have a sharp increase after 30% SoC
I wonder if that was sample v2 charging data points taken from a shares A/B pedestal charging session and it hit one of the switch overs (see below). Obviously, v3 SCs don't share A/B anymore.

Nice TMC user explanation:
The power cabinet has 12 charging units in four groups of three. The first car to plug in gets access to all four groups of chargers for a full speed charge of (soon to be) 144 kW. When a second car plugs in, the system takes one of those groups and gives it to the second car, for a charging speed of about 36 kW. The first car is now charging on three groups of chargers, for a max speed of about 108 kW. When the first car's charging rate drops below 72 kW, the system switches to two groups of chargers for each vehicle (about 72 kW each, the same as an Urban Supercharger). It isn't until the first car's charging rate drops below 36 kW that the system switches to one group for the first car and three groups for the second car.

I did a test between my X 100D and his LR 3 (75D) on an A/B pair. I collected date via TeslaFI.COM and merged (interwove) it. We were at 50 and 40 SOC at low 50F as you can see below.

We were getting a combined 135 kW (145 in future?) with those SOC and temps at Hickory NC site (120 kW max per). Hickory, NC Supercharger | Tesla

MOx6zPY.jpg

I actually thought the chart I created was interesting and odd. I would have thought the LR Model 3 would have ramped up and the lines would have crisscrossed more dramatically HOWEVER I think the TM3 SOC was just too high at that point.

A9FNIU7.jpg

Back