Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^ Sounds like an OK deal but I do not find ~ $300 a month for a limited use EV to be attractive. Do I presume correctly that you keep an ICE around to supplement the LEAF ? People are inclined to say "but I already own the ICE" but that is not a fair accounting. At some point you have to jump off the ICE train to see the savings in full fledged EV ownership.

golfcart said:
There are some great deals to lease right now, I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a 2018 SV with All Weather and Tech Packages. Roughly $11k net for 36 months (including taxes and fees) and then a $13.4k residual if I want to buy it or I'll have the option to walk away clean.
If you can pull that off sounds like a good deal. How many miles/yr? Most of the lease quotes I checked basically doubled going from 10k to 15k per year.

My dealer contacted me Monday about 5-6 Leaf+ models arriving in next 2 weeks so stopped on the way home after work. Showed me a ‘19 SV 40 with weather pkg (no tech pkg) for @ $34k and little flexibility on price. Told them I’m seeing 60 KWh Bolts that would net in the high $20k’s if include the interest saving from 0% financing, and that is before the federal tax credit. They were not at all swayed by being under cut on price by Tesla or Chevy.

rogersleaf said:
If you can pull that off sounds like a good deal. How many miles/yr? Most of the lease quotes I checked basically doubled going from 10k to 15k per year.

15k miles a year which I'll use due to my long commute. That was established right away because 10k/yr was not gonna work for me.

SageBrush said:
^^ Sounds like an OK deal but I do not find ~ $300 a month for a limited use EV to be attractive. Do I presume correctly that you keep an ICE around to supplement the LEAF ? People are inclined to say "but I already own the ICE" but that is not a fair accounting. At some point you have to jump off the ICE train to see the savings in full fledged EV ownership.

It isn't limited use from my perspective it does everything I need it to do and more plus I'm getting pro-pilot and the hybrid heater to boot.

My wife has an Outlander PHEV so that's our out of town car. She makes her short commute all electric so we don't use much gas but I prefer the gas on road trips to hour long charging sessions.

They are hooking me up on my trade to make the numbers work which is a huge help to me because I don't have to deal with Craigslist tire kickers and low ballers trying to sell it myself.

If I like the car I can buy it in 3 years and I'll be all in about $24k on a $37k sticker price car. If a used Bolt/Leaf+/TM3 makes more sense at that point I can turn it in and buy one of those but there are no used EVs with sufficient range right now that are cheaper than this lease+residual.

golfcart said:
There are some great deals to lease right now, I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a 2018 SV with All Weather and Tech Packages. Roughly $11k net for 36 months (including taxes and fees) and then a $13.4k residual if I want to buy it or I'll have the option to walk away clean.
Nice deal. Please share the details if you go through with it.

After some test drives and shopping around, we will most likely be replacing the wife's leased Leaf with another next month. Also would likely stay with an SV.

I presume your $11k net is after Nissan assumes the federal credit but before any other government or utility incentives. For us that would mean $11k net - $2.5k state rebate - $800 PG&E utility rebate = $214/mo for a brand new BEV that's even more functional than our last Leaf.

SageBrush said:
It's worked incredibly well for us for the last 3 years, both in terms of value and convenience. We ordered a Model 3 two weeks ago to replace my plug-in Prius - waiting on Tesla's estimated 2-4 weeks delivery time.

iPlug said:
Nice deal. Please share the details if you go through with it.

After some test drives and shopping around, we will most likely be replacing the wife's leased Leaf with another next month. Also would likely stay with an SV.

I presume your $11k net is after Nissan assumes the federal credit but before any other government or utility incentives. For us that would mean $11k net - $2.5k state rebate - $800 PG&E utility rebate = $214/mo for a brand new BEV that's even more functional than our last Leaf.

It's a little complicated because I own my 2015 and have some negative equity because I financed it at 0% and used the tax rebate to install solar panels instead of paying down the principal. They're giving me $9550 in Nissan incentives then I negotiated pretty hard on the trade and sales price to get my otd cost that low.

It is quite an upgrade from the 2015 S in terms of looks, range, power, and features so I'm pretty excited. I look at the 2015 as a bit of an anomaly because the initial range was so low that I didn't have much buffer, I honestly think I could drive this car for a decade of I chose to buy it.

golfcart said:
SageBrush said:

It isn't limited use from my perspective it does everything I need it to do and more plus I'm getting pro-pilot and the hybrid heater to boot.
Sure, but that was not my point. I was saying it cannot replace an *ICE

SageBrush said:
golfcart said:
SageBrush said:

Not everyone drives hundreds of miles, even occasionally. While a LEAF isn't as good as an ICE or some different EVs at long trips, it can do them.

It can't replace an ICE for some people. It can for others.

golfcart said:
SageBrush said:

Fair point but I don't need it to replace an ICE so not really relevant to my situation. It'll do all we need it to do and more.
I've already addressed your follow-up comment above. The LEAF puts you in a position of always having to have another full range vehicle. Which is not uncommon; my point is that you are paying a fair amount for a 0.5x vehicle and then you paid a handsome price for the PHEV. The combination is expensive, and you are stuck with an ICE stinker to leave town. And by the way: that one hour stop your mentioned on a long trip is ~ 15 minutes in a Tesla.

I'm in your position too since I own one 0.5x vehicle and one 1.0x vehicle, and the arrangement works very well for us. The difference is that I paid $6,300 for my 0.5x (EV) vehicle so I was comfortable paying more for my no compromise EV. Now admittedly my comparison breaks down because neither of my cars is an SUV and that may be important to you. But it already seems clear that a Tesla Model Y + a cheap 0.5x EV is considerably cheaper than your combination.

I'm not really trying to convince you to do anything other than consider two points:
1. *ICE ownership carries additional costs
2. If all you need for your household is 1.5x cars, you can buy a cheap 0.5x car and a more expensive 1.0x car.

My wife would have been quite unhappy if I had spent $70k (before trade-ins) to flip our household to EV but she was OK with $46k.

SageBrush said:
I'm in your position too since I own one 0.5x vehicle and one 1.0x vehicle, and the arrangement works very well for us. The difference is that I paid $6,300 for my 0.5x (EV) vehicle so I was comfortable paying more for my no compromise EV.

It is what it is, we need a second car and I want an EV. I've got a 60ish mile round trip commute and a kid with activities so the 24kWh Leaf wasn't cutting it anymore. If I want an EV this was the best deal I found.

I'm not sure what else to say, a "no compromise" EV for an extra $10k - $15k wouldn't be any more functional for me. Even if I got a Tesla or Bolt we'd still take the Outlander PHEV on road trips...

I saw you edited your comment quite a bit since I responded so I'll clarify one last point. My wife wanted a small SUV with AWD and we spent $23k net after incentives ($29k OTD - $58xx tax credit) for the Outlander at 0% for 60 months and it includes one of the best bumper to bumper warranties in the industry. If I buy the 2018 Leaf residual I'll be all in $24k. Our state doesn't offer EV incentives so we are $47k all in (including financing and sales tax) if I end up buying the lease on the Leaf (I'm 50/50 right now we'll see in 3 years). So I got 2 2018 model year cars for the cost of your Tesla + old Leaf , my wife gets the car she actually wants, and I get a car that I really like.

I also don't think your TM3 gets 300 miles of range in 15 minutes I suspect it is closer to 200 and those upgraded stations aren't that common yet. The Outlander gets 300 miles of range in under 2 minutes and there are gas stations everywhere. I used the Tesla Trip Planner (which they only allow LR for the TM3 so it paints a rosier picture than reality) for a typical trip we take from Norfolk to Atlanta. The planner says 11hr for the LR TM3 but we make it in 8.5hr in our Outlander. Not to mention there are gas stations at every exit and major intersection once we get there and we don't have to find a supercharger or ask our relatives to install a destination charger just for us.

We do over 90% of our miles electric between the Leaf and Outlander PHEV, if you wanna kill me over the last 10% that's your perogative but it seems kind of silly.

Anyways... We're kind of getting off topic here this thread is about deals on Leaf. I'm glad you like your Tesla but you are not everybody and some of us make different decisions even if you don't think they are optimal ones. You don't have to like the decisions we made but we're comfortable with them.

golfcart said:
1. Is it similar for 2019 40 kWh?
2. Are you seeing a lot of 2018s on lots?

golfcart said:
I saw you edited your comment quite a bit since I responded so I'll clarify one last point. My wife wanted a small SUV with AWD and we spent $23k net after incentives ($29k OTD - $58xx tax credit) for the Outlander at 0% for 60 months
Now that sounds like excellent value !

I saw $37k msrp on the Mitsu website and jumped to conclusions. Although I do not want an ICE car at all (and dumped my Prius Prime PHEV to get there), I completely agree with you that 80% electric is darned good. Are you 80% electric miles or 80% carbon reduction or 80% oil reduction ? I was already 80% oil and carbon reduction with my PHEV and LEAF compared to the Honda Fit and Prius we had before so swapping out the Prime for our Tesla was much more a political vote and personal preference rather than one that had much immediate community and societal consequences. We swapped when the cost approached break-even over the presumed lifetime of the cars.

SageBrush said:
golfcart said:
I saw you edited your comment quite a bit since I responded so I'll clarify one last point. My wife wanted a small SUV with AWD and we spent $23k net after incentives ($29k OTD - $58xx tax credit) for the Outlander at 0% for 60 months
Now that sounds like excellent value !

I saw $37k msrp on the Mitsu website and jumped to conclusions. Although I do not want an ICE car at all (and dumped my Prius Prime PHEV to get there), I completely agree with you that 80% electric is darned good. Are you 80% electric miles or 80% carbon reduction or 80% oil reduction ? I was already 80% oil and carbon reduction with my PHEV and LEAF compared to the Honda Fit and Prius we had before so swapping out the Prime for our Tesla was much more a political vote and personal preference rather than one that had much immediate community and societal consequences. We swapped when the cost approached break-even over the presumed lifetime of the cars.

I'm a tough negotiator LOL. Especially when they have cars on the lot that they cant unload.

I dunno about carbon and oil but she does 70% of her driving (including road trips) electric and I do 100% of mine. Since I drive more miles it has worked out to 90% of our driving on electricity since September when she bought it. I picked up that 2018 SV w/ all weather + tech lease on my lunch break today, I am excited it is a big upgrade from my 2015 S.

eplus said:
golfcart said:
1. Is it similar for 2019 40 kWh?
2. Are you seeing a lot of 2018s on lots?

It is almost identical to the 2019. This was the last 2018 in my area but there is a dealer in Richmond VA with a few.

Hyman Bros Nissan

Looking to lease my 3rd leaf.
2019 SV with Gross capital (incl 595 destination charge) : 30465
gross cap reduction : 10936
Residual: 39%
Money factor: 0.00258
State: CA
3K down comes to 274 / mo
How is this deal?

I have leased 2 Leafs before and now planning to lease 2019 40KW leaf again.
The money factor now is ridiculous. in last two leases I had 0.00003 money factor (effectively 0.07APR) which is $0.96 and $1.24 per month in lease charges. However, now with 0.00258 (Effectively 6.1APR) it is $85.03 per month in lease charges. WTH is nissan doing? they don't want loyal users to lease again?
i am looking to lease 2019 SV , 36 mon, 12K miles

What is the actual dollar value of the residual? (I'm very tired tonight.) If it's below $16k then you have a pretty good deal. If it's much lower, then you should consider trading a higher residual for a lower payment if you don't strongly plan to keep the car.

Here in SoCal, the best a Nissan dealer will offer on a '19 SV no Pro (list $35K) was; Down - $3K, $350/mo, 3 yrs, $16K residual.
My best offer was for $250/mo. The Nissan finance manager indicated Nissan Credit wouldn't accept the deal, so I walked.
The dealer indicated that the $7.5K fed credit was applied. Are others finding better deals?

prash1111 said:
Looking to lease my 3rd leaf.
2019 SV with Gross capital (incl 595 destination charge) : 30465
gross cap reduction : 10936
Residual: 39%
Money factor: 0.00258
State: CA
3K down comes to 274 / mo
How is this deal?

i am looking to lease 2019 SV , 36 mon, 12K miles
You are not going to get a "deal" on a car that is just now arriving on the dealer lots. If the past is a guide you have to wait ~ 3-6 months into the MY.

I think some people have extended their current leases to buy time although I do not have any personal experience leasing.

SageBrush said:
You are not going to get a "deal" on a car that is just now arriving on the dealer lots. If the past is a guide you have to wait ~ 3-6 months into the MY.

Or later when Nissan U.S. realizes that the 2019 models won't sell much better than the 2018s, i.e. about 1300/mo, even with more range.

Back