actual selling prices for used 2013 Leafs in SF Bay Area?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwerdna

Just curious, has anyone bought one recently in the SF Bay Area private party or from a dealer? If so, I'd be curious as to the price, trim, packages, mileage, capacity bars and build month.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/cta?sort=priceasc&auto_make_model=nissan%20leaf&max_auto_year=2013&min_auto_year=2013 is a reference for what people are asking, but who knows what they're actually selling for?

May I suggest a more specific title, like "Actual Selling Prices for used 2013 Leafs in SF Bay Area?" Otherwise you'll mainly get people linking for sale ads rather than actual final prices...

You might want to look at the sold listings on eBay for your area. Make sure you look at the sold listings, not the for sale listings.
Also, I have called the seller(s) a week or so after cars have sold to see if they will give me an idea of what the car actually sold for. Most have been cooperative.

^^^
Have checked before and found very few completed Leaf sales anywhere. Will check again later today.

Someone at work pointed this out and kinda puts a damper on my expectations: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?rinno=1&listingId=507514250&LNX=MYATCALERTSEMLSRCH.

It's a Bay Area '13 SL w/premium package for $5,983! It looks like it resided in the Bay Area the whole time but they took clear pics of the wrong things. It looks like it's a 10 bar car from the blurry pics but it was built 9/2013 so I guess the previous drivers didn't take great care of the battery. It's at a Mercedes dealer so perhaps that explains the pics of the wrong things.

^^^
Will take a look more carefully tonight. Am busy w/other things right now. I might ping the dealer to see if they can put up a better pic of the important part of the dash. It could help them a lot if it clearly showed 11 bars.

You may want to share some info with the person trying to sell an early '13 in my area, in another topic here. I think he believes I'm trying to drive down the price so I can buy it...

cwerdna said:
Someone at work pointed this out and kinda puts a damper on my expectations: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?rinno=1&listingId=507514250&LNX=MYATCALERTSEMLSRCH.

It's a Bay Area '13 SL w/premium package for $5,983! It looks like it resided in the Bay Area the whole time but they took clear pics of the wrong things. It looks like it's a 10 bar car from the blurry pics but it was built 9/2013 so I guess the previous drivers didn't take great care of the battery. It's at a Mercedes dealer so perhaps that explains the pics of the wrong things.
I filled out the form on the Autotrader page and the dealer emailed me. I emailed them back requesting they put up a clear pic of the capacity bars, including a visual aid of what I'm looking for and that it'll benefit other shoppers.

But, looking at it more carefully vs. a pic of my 11 bar car, it looks like the '13 SL that they're selling is 10 bars. Anyhow, that's pretty cheap for a dealer for such a well equipped car. It sure looks like an SL given the leather interior and it's definitely got premium due to the Bose stereo, AVM. And, it's got CHAdeMO and fog lights that are standard ont the SL. Who knows how close it is to being a 9 bar car?
theothertom said:
You might want to look at the sold listings on eBay for your area. Make sure you look at the sold listings, not the for sale listings.
Also, I have called the seller(s) a week or so after cars have sold to see if they will give me an idea of what the car actually sold for. Most have been cooperative.
I just checked for "sold" 2013 Leafs and specified any distance from my zip. There was a whopping 1 result: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Nissan-Leaf-S-w-Quick-Charge-Port-/401684538947?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true.

It's a '13 S w/charge package for $6,795 that's been driven in San Diego County (warm down there) built early 2/2013 month and 9 bars. So, it's not a particularly helpful reference. Mine was built 5/23/2013 and has 11 bars.

So, anyone have an answer to my original query?

Well, I live in the Bay Area and have bought several used cars on Craig's List. If you change the search criteria to include only owner sale cars (no dealers) and go to the middle of the pack of cars left, you see prices about $7k. That is probably pretty close to what actual sales prices are, maybe a tad lower. Note that at least in the Bay Area there are quite a few amateur dealers that sell cars but list them as if they are individual car owners. I would be sure to take a LeafSpy dongle with me when looking at used Leafs (actually any used car).

In California, to register a used ICE car to a new owner requires a smog check. If the check engine light is on, the car is nearly impossible to sell, and it is well known that anyone can temporarily clear the check engine light by disconnecting the battery for a while. The DTC code reader (LeafSpy dongle) will tell me if there are "pending" DTC codes, which means the car will likely fail a smog check.

stjohnh said:
Well, I live in the Bay Area and have bought several used cars on Craig's List. If you change the search criteria to include only owner sale cars (no dealers) and go to the middle of the pack of cars left, you see prices about $7k. That is probably pretty close to what actual sales prices are, maybe a tad lower. Note that at least in the Bay Area there are quite a few amateur dealers that sell cars but list them as if they are individual car owners. I would be sure to take a LeafSpy dongle with me when looking at used Leafs (actually any used car).

In California, to register a used ICE car to a new owner requires a smog check. If the check engine light is on, the car is nearly impossible to sell, and it is well known that anyone can temporarily clear the check engine light by disconnecting the battery for a while. The DTC code reader (LeafSpy dongle) will tell me if there are "pending" DTC codes, which means the car will likely fail a smog check.
Does CA require a smog check for an EV ?

cwerdna said:

The link is dead as the car's no longer available. I can only assume it's been sold as https://www.autobahnmotors.com/used-cars/belmont.htm?search=&internetPrice=&odometer=&make=Nissan&model=LEAF&year=&normalDriveLine=&saveFacetState=true&lastFacetInteracted=inventory-listing1-facet-anchor-model-4 no longer has any '13 Leafs in their inventory.

The '11 Leaf for $5,791 (https://www.autobahnmotors.com/used/Nissan/2011-Nissan-LEAF-belmont+ca-7e8b96120a0e0adf78159edea066f91e.htm) is hilarious. As I posted in the '11-12 capacity loss thread, it's apparently an 8 bar loser! Only 4 capacity bars remain. This is the worst I've ever seen a pic of for a car in the US. The worst I recall seeing a pic of was a 9 bar loser in Sri Lanka.

Back