Hyundai Kona Electric

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
I've always felt that any BEV that needs to be depended on for routine driving should have at least two days autonomy. That way, if you normally charge up every day, the power goes out while you're asleep and the car doesn't get charged, you can still get to work etc. and back, and have time to work out alternative charging/transportation options for the 3rd day. Maybe I'm just overly conservative when it comes to such matters.
Not a bad idea, but we’ve already got that covered. Two vehicles offer flexibility and cost savings and can cover for the deficits of the other vehicle.

In such a power failure we have the Plug-in Prius - I can take the Leaf 7 miles round trip to work for several days and don’t need the charging stations there.

That’s one of the reasons the future BEV to replace our Plug-in Prius will need real long distance capabilities.

cwerdna said:
https://insideevs.com/hyundai-dealers-price-gouging-kona-electric/ alleges reports of markups of $5K to $8K above MSRP! Ugh! :evil:
There are places out there doing that. Our local Hyundai dealerships says they do not sell any of their vehicles above MSRP. Currently they have a limited ($42,495 MSRP) and SEL ($37,780 MSRP) in stock.

http://www.rosevillehyundai.com/VehicleSearchResults?search=new&make=Hyundai&model=Kona EV#close

Valdemar said:
Kona or a 35k model 3? Is this even a question?

https://www.tesla.com/blog/35000-tesla-model-3-available-now

:lol:

I'm sorry, but I have to laugh at the fanaticism around Tesla. Yes, this is a question. These are very different cars. The $35k Tesla will have far fewer features than the Kona. And despite the lower price, I fully except the TCO to be lower on the Kona over 8-10 years.

GetOffYourGas said:
Valdemar said:
Kona or a 35k model 3? Is this even a question?

https://www.tesla.com/blog/35000-tesla-model-3-available-now

:lol:

I'm sorry, but I have to laugh at the fanaticism around Tesla. Yes, this is a question. These are very different cars. The $35k Tesla will have far fewer features than the Kona. And despite the lower price, I fully except the TCO to be lower on the Kona over 8-10 years.
When you go to Cdn Tesla site and select an equivelant range M3 (mid-range 425 km, c/w blue ext and wht int with basic autopilot) the price is $61,600 which is $9600 more than I paid for my Kona Ultimate.
No sunroof or HUD but at in trade you get supercharging capability and probably more tech settings.
And BTW I love the Kona so far, nice one finger driving using using LKA and with Smart cruise control no feet (most of the time - doesn't read traffic lights)
It will stop and go while following another car (you set the distance) , but if you are at a red light with no one in front of you, you actually have to step on the accelerator as I found out when it reminded me to do that sometime after the light had turned green :oops:

iPlug said:
GRA said:
I've always felt that any BEV that needs to be depended on for routine driving should have at least two days autonomy. That way, if you normally charge up every day, the power goes out while you're asleep and the car doesn't get charged, you can still get to work etc. and back, and have time to work out alternative charging/transportation options for the 3rd day. Maybe I'm just overly conservative when it comes to such matters.
Not a bad idea, but we’ve already got that covered. Two vehicles offer flexibility and cost savings and can cover for the deficits of the other vehicle.

In such a power failure we have the Plug-in Prius - I can take the Leaf 7 miles round trip to work for several days and don’t need the charging stations there.

That’s one of the reasons the future BEV to replace our Plug-in Prius will need real long distance capabilities.

cwerdna said:
https://insideevs.com/hyundai-dealers-price-gouging-kona-electric/ alleges reports of markups of $5K to $8K above MSRP! Ugh! :evil:
There are places out there doing that. Our local Hyundai dealerships says they do not sell any of their vehicles above MSRP. Currently they have a limited ($42,495 MSRP) and SEL ($37,780 MSRP) in stock.

http://www.rosevillehyundai.com/VehicleSearchResults?search=new&make=Hyundai&model=Kona EV#close
Oh well, they lied. Not surprising for a dealership, I guess. We just went for a test drive and they marked up all four of their Kona EV‘s by $5000. No shame.

iPlug said:
Oh well, they lied. Not surprising for a dealership, I guess. We just went for a test drive and they marked up all four of their Kona EV‘s by $5000. No shame.
Ouch! Very disappointing.

I'm glad I didn't bother waiting for the Kona EV as a few folks were prodding me towards it. I had little interest in it anyway, mainly due to past history w/the US Ioniq EV supply fiasco.

Hopefully, the situation will eventually correct itself if nobody bites.

I came across this recent video from another forum:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mpz4qQW_L4

Chevy Bolt EV and Hyundai Kona Electric: Grizzled Veteran versus Star Rookie
News Coulomb
Published on Mar 3, 2019
A big thank you to David, who agreed to do a parallel drive with me in his brand new Hyundai Kona Electric. This was a round trip of about 270 miles, from Ontario in the Inland Empire of Southern California to Baker and back again.

During the trip, we checked out some new chargers that are about to go online, tested the Kona out on EVgo's 175 kW CCS charger, reviewed the Kona's interior and features, braved 20 to 30 mph headwinds on the return trip, and made some surprising discoveries about the Kona's maximum DC charging rate and freeway efficiency.

The Kona Electric has a lot going for it, and I'm really hoping Hyundai can send as many as they can to the United States. It's a worthy competitor for the Bolt EV in the sub $40,000 electric vehicle segment, and it presents a strong value proposition compared to the $35,000 Tesla Model 3.
I did note that around the 6 minute mark there is a charge % limiter that's in 10% increments. They have separate limiters fror AC vs. DC charging. Interesting to see the saw that on one of the DC FCs they used, they saw a peak charging rate of 76 kW at 52% SoC (3:30 into the video). This was on a 350 kW CCS charger that was having issues and supposedly only able to do a max of 175 kW.

It's not a must watch, IMHO. I kinda watched it in the background while doing other things.

LeftieBiker said:

How about a review?
Not one for detailed write-ups on vehicles. But will briefly share our impressions of the vehicles driven/checked-out.

The lease on my wife's Leaf is up next month, so we are preparing to find a replacement BEV. We (she) test drove the Kona EV, 40 kWh Leaf, and Bolt. There were no Niro or Soul EV's on the Kia lot yet, but checked out the non-EV versions of these cars.

The Kona EV is a decent looking vehicle, range is great, fit/finish ok, but until pent-up demand eases, the price with markup is too much and the vehicle doesn't offer any particular advantages for us over the competition. Cargo area is small compared to even a Leaf. Details of small things were lacking like the charging port caps which are made of cheap thin plastic hanging on by thin plastic threads that don't look to last long. The wife thought the drive was a little "heavy", but otherwise similar to her experience with her Leaf.

As we don't expect any deals on a Leaf ePlus for several months until demand eases, we looked at the 40 kWh Leaf. Of all the vehicles, this probably had the highest quality fit/finish. Cargo area was among the best. Range of course was the least of all the vehicles we cross shopped, but still above my wife's minimum needs. My wife liked the looks of this vehicle more than the others. We expect a great lease deal next month, so my wife is currently most likely to go with a 40 kWh Leaf, probably SV or SL. The wife thought the drive was very similar to her current Leaf.

The Bolt has good EV range and we expect we might get the best price/kWh if we were to go with one. The Bolt had the lowest quality fit/finish and the small size inside and out was notable. It felt a bit cramped inside, even in the front. The cargo area was among the smallest. The vehicle drove fine, but my wife thought braking was different than she experienced before and felt that it would "glide" when the brake was applied. She says this feels like the brakes had a different grab feel than other vehicles she has driven.

The Niro and Soul seen, as noted above, were not EVs, but we wanted to sit in them and look at the cargo area. They both had the best rear seat room of the vehicles looked at. At 6'2", these were the only vehicles I could sit in the back and not have to bend my head forward due to ceiling height. Not really an issue for me as I would ride front passenger and kids in back. The cargo space on the Soul was relatively small, but the Niro had a nice sized cargo area, maybe the best of all the vehicles looked at. The Soul boxiness was a bit jarring, would take a while to get used to. The fit/finish was about the same quality as Hyundai/Kona. My wife overall liked the Niro almost as much as the Leaf. With both of these, like the Kona EV, we would expect dealer price gouging/inflexibility when they arrive - the dealer volunteered as much. So these vehicles will likely be off consideration due to pricing when we need a new vehicle next month.

cwerdna said:
they saw a peak charging rate of 76 kW at 52% SoC (3:30 into the video)..
That about matches the highest kW Bjorn Nyland has reported in the variety of CCS EVs that he has tested including the Jag and E-tron.

I have no idea why the peak rate is so far below the charger capability. I'm sort of expecting the same with the V3 Supercharger but I'll be delighted to be wrong.

iPlug: Thanks for the comparison!

I've watched part of the video at https://insideevs.com/edmunds-hyundai-kona-electric-vs-chevy-bolt/ earlier. At ~4:19 they compare cargo room of Bolt vs. Kona EV. They then compare rear seat room with a constant of the same guy in the front seat. Kona EV was worse rear room (at least front to back).

Re: length, yeah, the Bolt EV is pretty short on the outside at 164" long. My '13 Leaf is 175". '19 Leaf is 176.4".

I've not physically seen a Kona EV but yeah, Bolt interior is pretty cheap. I'd say it's a Tupperware interior. The interior bits seem durable enough but it seems like virtually all to be hard plastics.

I may be able to see a Kona EV in person (hopefully) at http://svautoshow.com/. I'm planning to take Friday off work to go.

LeftieBiker said:
Are you sure you want to do that, Cwerdna? Really, really sure...? ;)
LOL! I got free tix to the auto show thanks to Chevy (received an email). Not that the show's expensive but I skipped SF Auto Show this time as Silicon Valley Auto Show got moved in terms of date and no longer overlaps w/CES in Vegas. SV Auto Show is also much more convenient for me in terms of location and distance.

I like cars but have no plans to buy another in the near future. And, it's not like I can get a Kona for cheap anyway nor would I want to take a bath on my Bolt and go for a 1st model year Kona EV of unknown reliability vs. a Bolt that has a decent reliability record, so far.

I do plan to look at other vehicles while there.

LeftieBiker said:
Are you sure you want to do that, Cwerdna? Really, really sure...? ;)
So, I did take a look. The interior of the Kona EV while better than the Bolt EV isn't awesome. It has some more soft touch plastic whereas the Bolt has basically none in the interior.

The stereo actually had 40 memory slots instead of the lame 15 in total on the Bolt.

I can see what Edmunds is saying about rear seat room. It's kinda tight back there. Also, although it has more length for rear cargo room, it seems like there isn't as much cargo room height wise. There was a pivoting sort of false floor in the Kona EV but it was just a bunch styrofoam pieces underneath possibly for a L1 EVSE and tire goop and pump that weren't in the car. It's not like you could really put much in there if those items were removed.

I wasn't a real fan of the front styling of the Kona EV either.

Given the crazy markups I'm hearing for Kona EV making it sound like getting one for below MSRP is impossible right now, I'm glad I didn't want for it. I wasn't planning to anyway.

IEVS, Alex on Autos review of the Kona Electric:
Hyundai Kona Electric Buries Chevy Bolt, Leaves Nissan Leaf
https://insideevs.com/hyundai-kona-electric-review-leaf-video/

. . . This latest review, a very thorough and excellent one from the Alex on Autos YouTube channel, is the latest to make the argument that it should be near the top of your all-electric crossover shopping list. He ranks it above both the Chevy Bolt and the Nissan LEAF.

In fact, our host here is torn between the Hyundai Kona Electric, the Kia Niro EV, and the upcoming Kia Soul EV as his top picks in this segment. For him, the argument isn’t abstract, either. He lets us know the lease on his personal vehicle, a current-generation Kia Soul EV, is ending in June and he’ll be in the battery-powered market to replace it.

As an aside, he doesn’t believe the Tesla Model 3 is a direct competitor, since one wouldn’t put a BMW 3 Series up against the Kona Electric crossover, as one would the American mid-size sedan. To our minds, that’s a rational statement but leaves out that for the many who put a premium on an electric powertrain over body shape, the Tesla remains a reasonable option. Add the availability constraints of the Korean cars to the mix and the fact that the Standard Range Model 3 variant is now available, we believe it’s very much in play here. . . .

iPlug said:
...We just went for a test drive and they marked up all four of their Kona EV‘s by $5000. No shame.

Hopefully that's a sign of growing EV demand overall. If dealers find they can move EVs, they might start treating them more seriously.

Nubo said:
iPlug said:
...We just went for a test drive and they marked up all four of their Kona EV‘s by $5000. No shame.

Hopefully that's a sign of growing EV demand overall. If dealers find they can move EVs, they might start treating them more seriously.
We'll have to see what March US sales look like besides hearing about the supply situation. If https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/ is accurate, 0 were sold in the US jan 2019 and 16 in Feb.

Yesterday, a LEAFer saw Kona ad so called dealer to mention ad and schedule test drive. After test drive, he noticed $10,000 markup and dealer would only take off $3,000.

So until base trim Kona is out at MSRP, I suggest everyone stay away. Hope you have a lot of time to kill cause I am thinking that won't happen this year.

Nubo said:
iPlug said:

Unfortunately not in this case. The dealer said they were doing it because they were very supply constrained. Still all the vehicles were still on the lot when I visited compared to when their online inventory first showed them days before.

Back