LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: 2011–2015 Leaf as a secondary vehicle?

Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:43 pm

Notice how often LEAF owners sell their cars just before or just after the 12th bar drops ? This is not random.

No, it isn't, and that's exactly why I suggested an 11 bar car. The value is much less to most people, but for the OP it would still have lots of capacity to spare. Even a 10 bar Leaf would serve the OP well, as long as it was the better chemistry.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LurchOR
Delivery Date: 06 Jan 2019

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:21 pm

Anthony,

Local new owner of a used 2015 SL purchased just last month here. Loving the car so far.
Are you aware of the Oregon Clean Vehicle Rebate Program?
$2,500 rebate for a used BEV such as a Leaf, but...available only if purchased from a dealer, and is limited to family incomes below a certain level.

Good luck with your search. Your family sounds like an ideal candidate for a Leaf.
As I say, I'm local and would be happy to show you my car and answer any questions.
Shoot me a PM if you have any interest.
Mystic Silver 2015 SL

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:24 pm

LurchOR wrote:$2,500 rebate for a used BEV such as a Leaf, but...available only if purchased from a dealer, and is limited to family incomes below a certain level.

Does it have to be an Oregon dealer to receive the rebate ?
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

LurchOR
Delivery Date: 06 Jan 2019

Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:16 am

SageBrush wrote:
LurchOR wrote:$2,500 rebate for a used BEV such as a Leaf, but...available only if purchased from a dealer, and is limited to family incomes below a certain level.

I don't know, here's a link to their page: https://www.oregon.gov/deq/aq/programs/ ... ebate.aspx
Mystic Silver 2015 SL

Titanium48
Delivery Date: 25 Jan 2019

Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:29 pm

I'm not sure I'd look at a Leaf as an occasional use vehicle. Even a 10 bar Leaf will probably cost you significantly more than an older but still running ICE car, and if you are only going to drive it a couple thousand miles a year you aren't really benefitting from the lower operating costs and environmental advantages of an EV. Then there is the problem of "calendar loss" (you will lose some battery capacity over time whether you drive the car or not), and this is accelerated when you leave a Leaf at a very high or low SOC. Avoiding this requires you to charge the car to about 50% when you get home, unplug it, and remember to charge it again before you need to use it next.

I would look at a Leaf as your primary vehicle for short trips, and your Outback as the vehicle you will use for things the Leaf has difficulty with (long trips, hauling stuff), or when you both need a car at the same time. If you have at least 8000 miles or so per year of short trips you could use a Leaf for, preferably on a regular schedule so you can schedule charging as well, then I'd go for the Leaf. You will save on fuel, save wear and tear on the Outback and get to drive a really cool car. However, if you aren't going to drive it regularly I'd look for another cheap beater ICE vehicle as your backup car.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:33 pm

Even a 10 bar Leaf will probably cost you significantly more than an older but still running ICE car, and if you are only going to drive it a couple thousand miles a year you aren't really benefitting from the lower operating costs and environmental advantages of an EV.

That depends on where you live. Switching from an ICE to an EV inside a large city has a much larger benefit to the local environment than switching if you live in a rural area - even if you only drive each occasionally.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Titanium48
Delivery Date: 25 Jan 2019

Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:38 am

Yes, if you do a lot of really short trips (a few miles) the reduction in fuel consumption and emissions can be larger than the actual distance would suggest due to the inefficiency of cold ICEs.

Dooglas
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 314779

Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:06 am

LurchOR wrote:
SageBrush wrote:

I don't know, here's a link to their page: https://www.oregon.gov/deq/aq/programs/ ... ebate.aspx

You are only telling 1/2 the story. There is a standard Oregon rebate, AND an additional low income rebate. All the information is on the Oregon DEQ website. Regarding location of the dealer - I believe the dealer can be out-of-state but the car has to be purchased new and first registered in Oregon.

https://www.oregon.gov/deq/aq/programs/ ... ebate.aspx

https://www.oregon.gov/deq/aq/programs/ ... ebate.aspx
2013 Leaf SV - lease ended, 2016 Leaf S30 - purchased

anthonystclair
Delivery Date: 19 May 2019
Leaf Number: 308082

Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:13 pm

LurchOR wrote:Anthony,

Local new owner of a used 2015 SL purchased just last month here. Loving the car so far.
Are you aware of the Oregon Clean Vehicle Rebate Program?
$2,500 rebate for a used BEV such as a Leaf, but...available only if purchased from a dealer, and is limited to family incomes below a certain level.

Good luck with your search. Your family sounds like an ideal candidate for a Leaf.
As I say, I'm local and would be happy to show you my car and answer any questions.
Shoot me a PM if you have any interest.

Thanks LurchOR! Did you purchase your Leaf through a dealer or private party sale?

Much appreciate the the OCVR mention, I hadn't seen that rebate program yet. Checking into that.

I'll PM you as we dig in more, it'd be great to chat and see and your Leaf.
2016 Leaf S

anthonystclair
Delivery Date: 19 May 2019
Leaf Number: 308082

Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:18 pm

Titanium48 wrote:I'm not sure I'd look at a Leaf as an occasional use vehicle. Even a 10 bar Leaf will probably cost you significantly more than an older but still running ICE car, and if you are only going to drive it a couple thousand miles a year you aren't really benefitting from the lower operating costs and environmental advantages of an EV. Then there is the problem of "calendar loss" (you will lose some battery capacity over time whether you drive the car or not), and this is accelerated when you leave a Leaf at a very high or low SOC. Avoiding this requires you to charge the car to about 50% when you get home, unplug it, and remember to charge it again before you need to use it next.

I would look at a Leaf as your primary vehicle for short trips, and your Outback as the vehicle you will use for things the Leaf has difficulty with (long trips, hauling stuff), or when you both need a car at the same time. If you have at least 8000 miles or so per year of short trips you could use a Leaf for, preferably on a regular schedule so you can schedule charging as well, then I'd go for the Leaf. You will save on fuel, save wear and tear on the Outback and get to drive a really cool car. However, if you aren't going to drive it regularly I'd look for another cheap beater ICE vehicle as your backup car.

Those are good points, and we're looking at that side too. It's entirely possible that we do wind up using the Leaf for additional short-haul trips. So if anything, we're could indeed be driving the Leaf more. My inclination would still be to go EV if we can find the right car for the right price. As you say, we may well wind up driving it more, so I'd figure we'd then start seeing more advantage out of having the EV than an older ICE. We've also been talking for a while about trying to move toward the hybrid or EV direction, and if it took a falling cedar limb to do it, well, there you go :D
2016 Leaf S

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”