2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Autotrader.ca had an article today with some good info.
In their testing, on the highway, the leaf well outperformed the Kona and bolt in terms of efficiency (2.5 eL/100kM vs 2.1 and 2.2).

Orient express, have you found the same? Is the leaf doing better in terms of miles per kWh than your Kona?

DougWantsALeaf said:
Orient express, have you found the same? Is the leaf doing better in terms of miles per kWh than your Kona?

In my long distance testing over about the same routes, the Kona, Niro and the LEAF Plus they were all in about the same general ballpark with a range from about 3.8 m/kWh to 5.0 m/kWh. The LEAF Plus did return the highest economy at 5.0 with the Kona in the middle of 4.0 and the Niro at 3.8, but my challenge was that the Kona and Niro encouraged lead-footing more than the LEAF. They have a sport mode, while the LEAF was more refined for steady state cruising. All three have 0-60 at about 6.5 sec, and how you finesse them will determine the economy.

Both the Niro and Kona have three levels of adjustable regeneration that you can adjust with paddle shifters, set the default amount for each of the drive modes, or set it with an automatic variable mode. I set the default for all three modes at the highest regeneration, but that would sometimes get the adaptive cruise control confused and would make deceleration jerky. I'm so used to e-pedal that I was trying to replicate it with the Niro and Kona, and got an approximation, but never as good as the Nissan system.

OrientExpress said:
LeftieBiker said:
No, I meant were there any people (or anything else with weight) in it when weighed?

A silly question, gets an appropriate answer.
It's an entirely reasonable question, as curb weight refers to the car without payload, and if someone drove the car onto the scales and didn't get out and off the scale themselves, the weight indicated isn't the curb weight. Otherwise, the difference between the official curb weight and the curb weight reported would be well outside the expected variability from one car to the next - for the Plus, the S, SV and SL are officially credited with CW of 3,780 / 3,811 / 3,853 lbs. respectively. An extra 207 lbs. for the SL+ or over 5% heavy seems excessive.

So, I'll ask the question again, hoping to get a useful answer this time: When the car was weighed, was that with or without any passengers and/or cargo?

OE thanks for the comparison.

Regen is great around town, but for long distance travel, it’s less meaningful. I was curious if st a steady 55mph (or pick your highway speed) what the difference was. It sounds like your experience reflected the articles rating, which gives me hope for a 250+ highway travel at 55mph. It might be painfully slow across Nebraska, but it means you could safely traverse a 200 mile gap between fast chargers in the summer. Say Chicago to Denver. EA makes it better, but with 1 Chademo adapter, you wouldn’t want to count on it being operational as your only option.

webeleafowners said:
Curb weight for gas cars is car plus driver plus full fuel.

Dry weight is empty vehicle with no driver and no fuel.
Curb weight (American English) or kerb weight (British English) is the total mass of a vehicle with standard equipment and all necessary operating consumables such as motor oil, transmission oil, coolant, air conditioning refrigerant, and sometimes a full tank of fuel, while not loaded with either passengers or cargo. . . .

The United States Environmental Protection Agency regulations [2] define curb weight as follows: Curb weight means the actual or the manufacturer’s estimated weight of the vehicle in operational status with all standard equipment, and weight of fuel at nominal tank capacity, and the weight of optional equipment computed in accordance with §86.1832–01; incomplete light-duty trucks shall have the curb weight specified by the manufacturer.

Unladen mass depends on the manufacturer and can be the same as curb weight, however, it is often the total mass of the car without a driver, fluid or any additional equipment.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curb_weight

Leave it to a bunch of old nerds to overthink everything. Since I was weighing the just car, it would be dry weight, but remember to subtract 0.0000000054 lb for the fuel

WetEV said:
How much does 62 kWh weigh?

I get 0.0000025 g

Or 0.0000000054 lb.
Is this an attempt to weigh electrons ?

Charging does not add electrons, it increases voltage (aka 'electric pressure.') It is an increase in potential energy.

SageBrush said:
WetEV said:

I get 0.0000025 g

Or 0.0000000054 lb.

Charging does not add electrons, it increases voltage (aka 'electric pressure.') It is an increase in potential energy.

e=mc^2

So

m= e/c^2

Add energy, the mass goes up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass%E2%80%93energy_equivalence

Do check my math, I might have gotten it wrong.

WetEV said:
SageBrush said:
WetEV said:

I get 0.0000025 g

Or 0.0000000054 lb.

e=mc^2

So

m= e/c^2

Add energy, the mass goes up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass%E2%80%93energy_equivalence
You are right. I presume it means that the voltage increase implies an internal change in inertia.

OrientExpress said:
Leave it to a bunch of old nerds to overthink everything. Since I was weighing the just car, it would be dry weight, but remember to subtract 0.0000000054 lb for the fuel
Then why do you think the car's so overweight? U.S. truck weight scales are limited to no more than a 40 lb error @ 10 tons to be in tolerance, so that doesn't explain an almost 5.4% overweight. 1-2% variation I could understand, but over 5%?

Back