TSLA corporate outlook

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
As someone who doesn't follow the stock closely and has no skin in the game either way, and who will be happy to see Tesla succeed but won't lose any sleep if they fail, ISTM there's a third option that more accurately reflects reality: the truth falls somewhere in between.

My thoughts exactly and that is why I didn't get past the first paragraph. Or in other words, there are only 2 kinds of people: those that divide people into 2 kinds and those that don't.

DaveEV said:
Leaf15 said:
The sales figures for April even worse vs. March, so much for old failed prop up claims of many cars were in transit during March for April deliveries. The truth is - April was even more troubling month for Tesla. Model S/X deliveries were even worse.
Got any specifics or detail for these claims?

Here; https://insideevs.com/news/347358/ev-sales-scorecard-april-2019/ then scroll down.

And here; http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18016&start=3580#p556008

For a Q4 of 2018 here; https://insideevs.com/news/341824/december-2018-us-plug-in-ev-sales-report-card/ and scroll down.

For those that understand simple financial data, it becomes obvious what was written. Four months of 2019 versus the last three months
of 2018 clarifies it.

Valdemar said:
I will never trust a car auto-pilot. Now, how do I protect myself and my family from those who will?
Getting the government to regulate them, much as they do with aircraft systems (with some notable failures to be sure, including the recent one with the 737 Max).

lorenfb said:
...The M3 is "the mass-market product", oh please! And to use the iPhone analogy speaks to the guy's lack of strategic marketing knowledge/background. Where's the Apple like ecosystem to leverage growth? With EA and others providing networks, the Tesla SC
network is becoming marginalized as a key strategic rent.

That's quite a stretch.

GRA said:
Valdemar said:
I will never trust a car auto-pilot. Now, how do I protect myself and my family from those who will?
Getting the government to regulate them, much as they do with aircraft systems (with some notable failures to be sure, including the recent one with the 737 Max).

And a plane auto-pilot is in a sense an easier problem to solve. If Musk succeeds the future scares me.

Nubo said:
lorenfb said:
...The M3 is "the mass-market product", oh please! And to use the iPhone analogy speaks to the guy's lack of strategic marketing knowledge/background. Where's the Apple like ecosystem to leverage growth? With EA and others providing networks, the Tesla SC
network is becoming marginalized as a key strategic rent.

That's quite a stretch.

OK, then replace "network is" with "network will". In any case, the SC network hardly provides the same level of key product appeal that
Apple's ecosystem, e.g. apps & music, provided when the iPhone was introduced. Apple was able to significantly differentiate itself
because of its ecosystem. The Tesla SC network is not an overwhelming influence in the consumer's decision process.

I bought my Tesla because of the Tesla Supercharger network. It is the only EV you can buy that has the ability to be your only vehicle, and it is because of this network. So you are not correct that this network does not influence buying decisions. It is a huge influence. And as other manufacturers build long distance cars and those owners struggle to find working charge stations, it will drive more decisions to switch to Tesla.

Valdemar said:
GRA said:
Valdemar said:

And a plane auto-pilot is in a sense an easier problem to solve. If Musk succeeds the future scares me.

I am reminded that change scares some people!

palmermd said:
I bought my Tesla because of the Tesla Supercharger network. It is the only EV you can buy that has the ability to be your only vehicle, and it is because of this network. So you are not correct that this network does not influence buying decisions. It is a huge influence. And as other manufacturers build long distance cars and those owners struggle to find working charge stations, it will drive more decisions to switch to Tesla.

+1

palmermd said:
So you are not correct that this network does not influence buying decisions. It is a huge influence.

As I said, for some it's a factor. Last month my decision was to lease a 2019 Leaf versus buying a M3. The SC network had no
influence, but the negative factors of the M3 did.

palmermd said:
The SC network undoubtedly has influenced many people to buy Teslas, but with EA having as of today opened 164 150/350kW QC stations in just over a year (first one opened May 2nd of last year), with it now being possible to drive from Florida or New York to Denver with only a couple of sites still needed to cross the Rockies and join the coasts, and Ionity building their network in Europe, the SC advantage is rapidly dwindling. Teslas still charge faster than most of their competitors, but that will also change in the near future.

palmermd said:

Enjoy the numerical advantage while it lasts. Same goes with the speed and walled-garden tech of the supercharger network.

The first to market also usually become the first to be obsolete or uncompetitive as new players and technologies enter the market. The CAPEX of updating a legacy system to stay competitive or compatible with the current tech can be daunting. That is what is happening right now. It might not be evident to the lay Tesla owner, but those responsible for the Tesla network know it all too well, and just as soon not bring it up.

So I say to Tesla, congratulations to them for being first to market and having that advantage of a large network. I also pray for Tesla as they struggle to keep their network competitive and up to date with the new players and tech that is now entering the market.

The good thing for current Tesla owners is that their cars will still charge at the network for the foreseeable future even as both the cars and the network become obsolete. An analogy of technology obsolesce is a Token Ring network compared to 1000baseT networks.

To Tesla's advantage is that they have the leases on the ground that the Superchargers sit, so if they have the ability, they can transition to industry standard charging infrastructure like they are finding themselves doing in Europe and China. But that transition isn't going to be cheap or easy.

OrientExpress said:
palmermd said:

Enjoy the numerical advantage while it lasts. Same goes with the speed and walled-garden tech of the supercharger network.

The first to market also usually become the first to be obsolete or uncompetitive as new players and technologies enter the market. The CAPEX of updating a legacy system to stay competitive or compatible with the current tech can be daunting. That is what is happening right now. It might not be evident to the lay Tesla owner, but those responsible for the Tesla network know it all too well, and just as soon not bring it up.

So I say to Tesla, congratulations to them for being first to market and having that advantage of a large network. I also pray for Tesla as they struggle to keep their network competitive and up to date with the new players and tech that is now entering the market.

The good thing for current Tesla owners is that their cars will still charge at the network for the foreseeable future even as both the cars and the network become obsolete. An analogy of technology obsolesce is a Token Ring network compared to 1000baseT networks.

To Tesla's advantage is that they have the leases on the ground that the Superchargers sit, so if they have the ability, they can transition to industry standard charging infrastructure like they are finding themselves doing in Europe and China. But that transition isn't going to be cheap or easy.

Hopefully Tesla's massive lead with EV's and charging won't be squandered like Nissan did!

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
lorenfb said:
, it's wishful
thinking from Elon that 300K is achievable for 2019, given weak M3 demand.
Part and parcel.

Who has a 300k tow capacity (not a typo--yes 300,000 lbs) pickup truck coming out?
Who has a 1M FSD robo fleet coming next year?
Who makes better chips their first time around than nVidia?
Who makes vehicles that appreciate in value?
Who lets you buy their car and generate $30k/year from it as it drives itself?

The answer to all these questions is:

Tesla.

Source:

Statements from Elon Musk

Anybody who can read my post and still is long Tsla has a screw or ten loose. Because as @*#&ing insane it is to write it, literally everything I just said has been claimed by their CEO. I can't even pick a favorite. They are all so absolutely absurd.
To add to the above craziness from Musk, I read https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/02/elon-musk-on-investor-call-autonomy-will-make-tesla-a-500b-company.html this morning.
Musk confidently told investors on the call that autonomous driving will transform Tesla into a company with a $500 billion market cap, these people said. Its current market cap stands around $42 billion. He also said that existing Teslas will increase in value as self-driving capabilities are added via software, and will be worth up to $250,000 within three years.
:lol:

GRA said:
palmermd said:
The SC network undoubtedly has influenced many people to buy Teslas, but with EA having as of today opened 164 150/350kW QC stations in just over a year (first one opened May 2nd of last year), with it now being possible to drive from Florida or New York to Denver with only a couple of sites still needed to cross the Rockies and join the coasts, and Ionity building their network in Europe, the SC advantage is rapidly dwindling. Teslas still charge faster than most of their competitors, but that will also change in the near future.
Like palmermd, my reason for going to a Tesla was the Supercharger network — it allowed me to use an EV as my only car; I waited until my most-traveled long distance route was covered before (used) Tesla shopping.

It remains to be seen whether or not the EA network in North America will prove easy-to-use and reliable. (It appears that the DCFC alternatives to the Supercharger network in Europe will suffice to allow road trips, although the population density is much higher, distances much shorter and alternatives — such as rail — much better than in NA.)

With regard to the EA network: Is the payment system seamless and simple — just pull up and plug-in? Will the chargers be well-maintained and fixed quickly if they break? Will the car's navigation system know where all the chargers are and automatically plan routes to them? Will the car's navigation be able to tell the driver if the charge station is open and how many stalls are available? Will the charge stations in populous regions have dozens of stalls, rather than just a few? Are all the charge stations open 24/7?

Dots on a map are one thing, it takes more than that to make a practical, useful DCFC network. I am hopeful that the answers to my questions will soon be "yes" for the EA network, and any other networks developed, since I would like to see more EVs on the road. It would be nice for a Bolt driver in Denver to be able to just get in the car and drive to Los Angeles or Seattle or Boston, without a concern, as is the case for Tesla drivers now.

Valdemar said:
Elon wants to bring in more debt and the stock price goes up. Fascinating.
Yep. Bizarre. Will it happen again given I just saw this?

Tesla To Raise Not $2.3 Billion But Up To $2.7 Billion
https://insideevs.com/news/347881/tesla-raise-2-7-billion/
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-offering/tesla-boosts-capital-raise-to-27-billion-musk-buys-more-stock-idUSKCN1S90YT

Will it go up again even though they're going to issue $860 million in new shares?

What's comical is that one guy in a Bolt group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1521572851487669/permalink/2243248669320080/?comment_id=2243251002653180&reply_comment_id=2243610905950523 (unfortunately, a closed one) who clearly is misinformed about the auto industry as whole and I guess part of the Tesla delusion views raising 2.7 billion as "good news". :roll: :lol:

dgpcolorado said:
GRA said:
palmermd said:
Like palmermd, my reason for going to a Tesla was the Supercharger network — it allowed me to use an EV as my only car; I waited until my most-traveled long distance route was covered before (used) Tesla shopping.

It remains to be seen whether or not the EA network in North America will prove easy-to-use and reliable. (It appears that the DCFC alternatives to the Supercharger network in Europe will suffice to allow road trips, although the population density is much higher, distances much shorter and alternatives — such as rail — much better than in NA.)

With regard to the EA network: Is the payment system seamless and simple — just pull up and plug-in? Will the chargers be well-maintained and fixed quickly if they break? Will the car's navigation system know where all the chargers are and automatically plan routes to them? Will the car's navigation be able to tell the driver if the charge station is open and how many stalls are available? Will the charge stations in populous regions have dozens of stalls, rather than just a few? Are all the charge stations open 24/7?

Dots on a map are one thing, it takes more than that to make a practical, useful DCFC network. I am hopeful that the answers to my questions will soon be "yes" for the EA network, and any other networks developed, since I would like to see more EVs on the road. It would be nice for a Bolt driver in Denver to be able to just get in the car and drive to Los Angeles or Seattle or Boston, without a concern, as is the case for Tesla drivers now.
EA's typical between cities sites have 4 CCS/1 CHAdeMO (they say 3/1, but apparently don't count the CCS on the shared pedestal); the largest sites I've found have 9/1 per EA (presumably 10/1 actual). Some of the urban cites have 2 CCS / 1 CHAdeMO/1 L2. )They're going to a 'pull-in and be billed wirelessly for the juice' model, but haven't introduced it yet. Reliability remains to be seen, but they've had some initial problems at some sites, as did Tesla. EA has little choice but to maintain the sites, as they're required to do so for I think it's 10 years. Unlike Tesla, if they fall short it means they'll be penalized even more. Nav. etc. info will undoubtedly follow, but as long as you've got a cell phone, you can find them. AFAIA all the stations are 24/7, although the surrounding businesses aren't.

Back