Am I wrong to be angry?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WetEV said:
valem said:
This hotel had nice 20A outlets so I was using my Zencar limited at 19A

80% of rated current for sustained loads. Should have limited the current to 16 Amps on a 20A outlet.

I'm pretty sure that's not the reason they unplugged me

LeftieBiker wrote:
New York, while often viewed by people in other states as a "Blue" state, is actually "Purple", with more conservative folks occupying most of the land area, and the Liberals concentrated in a few large cities.

Might have something to do with your current governor (blue), the current mayor of your largest city (blue), and the fact that every senator from your state since 1999 has been from the Democratic Party, including a recent failed Presidential candidate.

No. This is a long-standing situation, and has nothing to do with current politics, or even the politics of this century.

valem said:
WetEV said:
valem said:
This hotel had nice 20A outlets so I was using my Zencar limited at 19A

80% of rated current for sustained loads. Should have limited the current to 16 Amps on a 20A outlet.

I'm pretty sure that's not the reason they unplugged me

Agreed, but charging at 19A is actually a safety hazard. You should limit to 16A on a 20A outlet, as WebEV said.

Sorry about your frustration--I really don't understand the 4x4 truck EV us/them mentality. Back in the day, we'd all be called gearheads...

I am really confused by this thread. There seems to be an implication that those with 4x4 trucks tend to unplug EVs, but I cannot wrap my head around that. Other posts suggest that democrats unplug EVs, which I find equally confusing. Yet another post suggests that true car fanatics also dislike EVs, which runs completely counter to my experience: the most enthusiastic people I have met are fellow gearheads, often collectors of classic cars. For example, I have an acquaintance who daily drives a modified late-1960s Chevelle. He was most intrigued by my LEAF and insisted that I take him for a ride and show him ProPILOT. He still talks up the car. I still own the 1966 Mustang I bought in 1984. My dad collects mid-1950s Fords (Thunderbirds and Retractables) and drives a 1979 Trans Am; he is fascinated by the LEAF.

I am bummed the EV was unplugged (which was quite rude), but do not understand the other implications in this thread.

There is a diesel truck subculture that hates EVs, Democrats, environmentalists, etc. Regular trucks are driven by a less monolithic variety of people. Truck plus quad ATV usually equals right of center, but not always. People are just venting - don't take it too seriously.

LeftieBiker said:
There is a diesel truck subculture that hates EVs, Democrats, environmentalists, etc. Regular trucks are driven by a less monolithic variety of people. Truck plus quad ATV usually equals right of center, but not always. People are just venting - don't take it too seriously.
Thanks for the reply and the explanation. That makes sense. In my experience, those that love cars, love cars (ICE, EV, whatever).

martyscholes said:
LeftieBiker said:
Thanks for the reply and the explanation. That makes sense. In my experience, those that love cars, love cars (ICE, EV, whatever).

... a Tesla owner told me about EV haters; they vandalize charging stations, park/block them on purpose, key electric cars etc. and told me most have big diesel trucks ... I didn't know where that came from.

I myself own a Dodge Ram 1500 and have always had a truck since I learned to drive on an F150. I have the truck to tow a boat, jet ski, I also have a motorcycle which has ended up in the back of the truck to go on trips... so I don't hate truck owners, I am one of them.

But I recently bought a Leaf, and in the past 8 months I have driven over 5k mi on the leaf and maybe 100mi on the truck.
I love driving electric I enjoy planning my trips and sacrifice my time as I have to drive slower, avoid highways, wait for it to charge and minimize AC use... in FL

Never had any issues... until yesterday, when someone unplugged me while I was planning my trip home.

I don't know that it was the truck guys who did it ... but I was at that hotel for 5 days without any problems, and on the last day, the 3 trucks with ATVs show up, and I get unplugged.

I thought I shared it on here, as no one else I know GAF (gives a f**k) about me driving electric and they just tell me I should stick to a "normal" car when I share this story.

Lothsahn said:
Agreed, but charging at 19A is actually a safety hazard. You should limit to 16A on a 20A outlet, as WebEV said.

Please explain why it is a safety hazard

It's an outdoor outlet on a GFI

I could stick a paperclip in it and (after getting tingled) the GFI would trip.
I could plug in a shorted cable, and it would trip the breaker
I could accidentally leave my EVSE set to 32A and it would trip the breaker

I agree that it should be 80% of rated for continues use.
But there is a breaker that is designed to trip on over-current and a GFI in case of a ground fault.

I don't see a problem as long as the OL can handle it.

My main concern would be tripping the breaker, then I am SOL, as I have no access to the panel.
But why is it a safety hazard.

The GFI is in place to protect people (standing in a pothole plugging in their defective hedge trimmer), the 20A breaker is there to protect the cable.
If I plug in anything over the 20A breaker rating it will trip the breaker.

There's no way in a commercial setting of a hotel they undersized the cables for a 20A circuit.

I agree there's is a high likelihood I could trip the breaker pulling 19A on a 20A circuit... but a safety hazard?

Please explain

It is considered to be a safety hazard because continuous 100% loads can cause unsafe heating in locations like screw connections and oxidized wire splices that have higher resistance than the rest of the circuit. It would be unlikely to cause a fire or damage any one time, for a short charging session, but you are talking about plugging into circuits in unknown condition. Breakers can (and do) stick on, wire connections can be a little loose, things like that. It's a safety margin that makes sense, because people rarely stay with their EVs for long charging sessions.

valem said:
but I was at that hotel for 5 days without any problems
One thing I do is opportunity charge. When I'm at a place where only level 1 is available, I charge as much and as soon as I can. The last 2 years I was at a campground for 6 days with only 120V/12A and I kept the car plugged in at the start of the week until it was fully charged. If someone had unplugged me, I'd have had enough extra time to be able to charge before the end of the week.

LeftieBiker said:
It is considered to be a safety hazard because continuous 100% loads can cause unsafe heating in locations like screw connections and oxidized wire splices that have higher resistance than the rest of the circuit. It would be unlikely to cause a fire or damage any one time, for a short charging session, but you are talking about plugging into circuits in unknown condition. Breakers can (and do) stick on, wire connections can be a little loose, things like that. It's a safety margin that makes sense, because people rarely stay with their EVs for long charging sessions.
On a more practical note, you're in danger of tripping the breaker by charging that close to the rated value for a long period... which would both stop your charging session and draw negative attention to EV charging in that spot when somebody has to deal with the tripped breaker.

davewill said:
On a more practical note, you're in danger of tripping the breaker by charging that close to the rated value for a long period... which would both stop your charging session and draw negative attention to EV charging in that spot when somebody has to deal with the tripped breaker.

A very good point. Although a fire is a lesser risk, it also has as bigger impact. "Hotel catches fire due to unauthorized EV charging" would make headlines and have a much bigger impact than a tripped breaker.

As early adopters with powerful tools (current limiters going above usual specs), we have a responsibility to be good stewards and not bring upon ourselves negative attention (fire, tripped breaker, etc) until EV charging is commonplace and accepted.

Back