new owner of a used Leaf in Utah

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherpa

Greetings everyone!

Purely from a point of technological fascination, I have occasionally entertained the idea of buying an electric car. While I did not want to spend $30k+ for a new one (nor do I want to lease one), I told myself I might be interested in a used one if the price were right. But that's as far as I ever went with the idea.

For the last thirteen months, I've driven my '97 Metro 1.0L/5-speed as a cheap commuter. While I have seen two tanks which averaged 53 mpg, I usually got about 45 mpg in my typical driving. Back when gas had dropped near $2.00/gallon--the lowest it has been throughout my Metro ownership--a dollar of fuel would take me about 22-23 miles. Now that gasoline has once again topped $3.00/gallon, today that same dollar only takes me 15 miles at best.

Almost a month ago, the idea of EV ownership again came to mind. How much would one of those cost to drive? I pulled out a recent utility bill to check my cost per kWh. From what I saw online, Leaf drivers commonly see 4 miles/kWh during average driving in non-winter months; during the dead of winter, efficiency can drop to around 3 miles/kWh. This means one dollar of electricity from my wall outlet could take me over 45 miles in a Leaf during three seasons of the year, and around 34 miles in the dead of winter (assuming no energy loss from charging). Even if I factor in a gross 15% loss in charging efficiency--which is larger than real-world examples I found--the Leaf is still WAY more efficient than the Metro was even at $2/gallon... and that's not even factoring in the additional ICE maintenance costs for things like oil, etc. Wow. Suddenly, I was seriously considering buying an EV.

After hours and hours of research, I decided a 2013-2016 Nissan Leaf would be ideal for me. Local online ads showed prices starting around $7000, which seemed pretty darn reasonable. With that, the Metro was put up for sale. After it sold a couple weeks later, I went into full-tilt Leaf shopping mode. I was going to dealers and looking at private party ones, getting a feel for what was out there and what I wanted, when fate intervened--last week this red 2013 SV was traded in at my store (I sell cars at a large autoplex):

kG8khk5.jpg

This was exactly my desired trim level, so it had B-mode and the heat pump for best range. It also had the upgrade package I wanted (ie, LED headlights) for even more efficient operation. Red is definitely not my favorite color, and I wasn't thrilled by the light interior, but beggars can't be choosers (and, besides, the interior was in fantastic shape). The dash gauge showed 11 bars; a LeafSpy scan showed 80% SOH. And finally, I would be able to get it for a very, very good price. I took all this as a sign that it was meant to be... and I bought it.

Thus began my life as an electric vehicle owner. :) So far, I've been averaging about 5.0 miles/kWh... which is fantastic. I love this car.

Welcome. Good looking Leaf.
It appears you did your homework. I did too, I thought. Then I got one, and my real education began, and continues. Maybe it's just me but I have to have the physical object 'in hand' and work with it before I really understand it. EV is definitely a different world than ICE. Gotta say, I really like it.

Yes it sounds like you really did your homework, of all the older Leafs I'd say the '13 SV that had QC, backup camera and 6.6kw charger would be my favorite. One thing and a very important thing for the '13 model year Leafs you didn't mention is, what was the mfg. date? For the newer and better battery chemistry, you need a post-March model, thats actually more important than most anything else on a '13 model year Leaf.
Interesting your Cayenne Red has a light interior, is it a smooth velour type of cloth? My '13S has a nice black interior and the seats are a nice stretchy black and easy to clean, my '12SL has a light tan interior smooth velour cloth and I hate it, shows EVERYTHING :x
BTW I also had a Geo Metro with the 1.0 3 cyl, back in '94. 5-speed stick and I regularly got in the upper 40s for MPG, 50+ hwy only, even mid 30s in town in our sub-zero winters, it was a great car! Unfortunately it had to be scrapped with only 80k on the clock, ran like new but the damn frame up where the front wheels attached rusted out and was unrepairable :( real real shame to scrap out that car that looked and ran like new and got 50+ MPG on trips, while probably unsafe by todays standard, it was an engineering marvel of it's time, all for around $8k($13.9k adjusted for inflation) at the time! My only option was A/C which still worked and an aftermarket trailer hitch I had installed which I used many times to tow a small utility trailer loaded with building materials.

jjeff said:
what was the mfg. date?

Mine was built in January 2013. While this is before the battery changeover, the fact that I'm at 80% SOH with 54k miles showing leads me to believe this car will suit me fine for the 1 or 2 years I plan to own it.

jjeff said:
is it a smooth velour type of cloth?

It seems to be. I really, really wanted the dark fabric interior... but I'm living with it.

I generally ask people to put these posts in the 'Just Got My Leaf' topic, but this one - a Canary pack with (barely) 11 bars after all these years, in a cool climate - may prove interesting.

OP, where do you park 6 cars, and how much car insurance do you pay ?

My household has two cars and when the LEAF dies I look forward to owning one.

jjeff said:
BTW I also had a Geo Metro with the 1.0 3 cyl, back in '94. 5-speed stick and I regularly got in the upper 40s for MPG, 50+ hwy only, even mid 30s in town in our sub-zero winters, it was a great car! Unfortunately it had to be scrapped with only 80k on the clock, ran like new but the damn frame up where the front wheels attached rusted out and was unrepairable :( real real shame to scrap out that car that looked and ran like new and got 50+ MPG on trips, while probably unsafe by todays standard, it was an engineering marvel of it's time, all for around $8k($13.9k adjusted for inflation) at the time! My only option was A/C which still worked and an aftermarket trailer hitch I had installed which I used many times to tow a small utility trailer loaded with building materials.
I came *very* close to buying a Geo Metro in 1990. I was enamored by the fuel economy and as a card carrying car hater the Metro fit the bill as the penultimate no frills A to B transport when a bicycle could not be used, perfect for a poor, frugal and cheap consumer. The dealer started at somewhere around $8k and eventually came down to $6,300 but I was not willing to budge from $6,000.

I have spent over $10k four time on cars for myself: three times for hybrids, and recently for my Tesla. I hope my car buying days are behind me.

jjeff said:

I had a 1994 Metro, except it didn't have AC. Great fun on twisty highways. A little too much fun actually - I lost traction going too fast into a reverse-banked curve and continued straight into a forest. My wife and I walked away after a little pinball with the trees though, so I wouldn't say they were unsafe.

LeftieBiker said:
I generally ask people to put these posts in the 'Just Got My Leaf' topic, but this one - a Canary pack with (barely) 11 bars after all these years, in a cool climate - may prove interesting.

Oh, um... sorry? Most forums ask you to introduce yourself in the newbies sub-forum. I apologize if I accidentally broke the local protocol.

SageBrush said:
OP, where do you park 6 cars, and how much car insurance do you pay ?

:lol: I have what doctors call a car problem. Besides the six I list in my signature, I have one more project car plus three other parts cars. Five of those listed in my sig reside at my house--two in the garage, two on the RV pad, and one in the driveway. The last one--the Miata, which is in the middle of a V8 conversion and currently engineless--sits in a friend's shop on a vehicle lift. Three others--a '66 Mustang, an '02 Tahoe, and a '99 Metro parts car--are all sitting in a friend's back yard. The final one--a '99 GMC Express parts van--sits in the parking lot at the shop where my Miata resides.

The six listed in my sig cost me about $1500 annually to insure.

Quite a story.
If you are lucky your car hobby will take a slight detour to electric and you will be able to make some room. For a while, anyway :D

Sherpa said:
:lol: I have what doctors call a car problem. Besides the six I list in my signature,

Speaking of which, now that you have a very efficient car, what's the LEAST efficient car in your fleet? Is it the 8.1L Suburban, or the Pontiac with the 454 :lol:

(The Suburban is heavier and had the bigger engine at around 500 cubic inches, but the Pontiac is older and lacks the technologies to make them both smog-compliant and fuel efficient.)

RonDawg said:
what's the LEAST efficient car in your fleet? Is it the 8.1L Suburban, or the Pontiac with the 454 :lol:

That's why I bought the Metro last year. At that time, I was rotating my daily driving between the Wrangler, the Suburban and the Grand Prix... and none of those vehicles achieves 15 mpg in day-to-day use. The Jeep was closest at 14 mpg, but I've modified it to the point that it doesn't like freeway/high-speed driving, so it was the one I drove the least. The Suburban has not only the 496 cubic inch V8 but also the optional 4.10 axle ratio, which makes it great for towing (it's rated to tow 12,000 pounds, which is why I bought it) but I usually see 11-12 mpg with it. The Grand Prix weighs almost 3,000 pounds less than the Suburban, but it uses a comparatively crude FiTech TBI system.

(old picture)
xJxwG5z.jpg

I also drive it more aggressively than I do the Suburban... so it only sees about 12 mpg in typical driving even with its overdrive transmission. It has a very effective Detroit TrueTrac limited slip differential, and it lacks all of the modern safety equipment we now take for granted. (Traction control? Stability control? That stuff is for sissies!) As a result, I don't ever drive that car if there is even a slight chance for rain--it is hard enough keeping the tail end straight on dry roads, and darn near impossible in the wet.

I imagine all the above will make none of you surprised to hear I have been driving the Leaf everywhere since I bought it.

Sherpa said:
I imagine all the above will make none of you surprised to hear I have been driving the Leaf everywhere since I bought it.

Nope not at all. We regularly see posts like "I didn't think I'd enjoy driving this car as often as I do" and find themselves exceeding their lease mileage allotments. Another one is when the spouse "steals" their Leaf :lol: It's more than just savings on fuel expenses, it's savings on maintenance on the ICEV, and also more suitable than an ICEV for stop and go traffic.

Does this have the CHAdeMO (fast charging) port? if so, looking at Plugshare, you'll have no problem driving your Leaf all over the greater SLC area.

flydiver said:
The Leaf is the first car I've enjoyed driving in a couple decades.

Don't get me wrong--I love my ICE vehicles and don't plan to abandon them any time soon. Having said that, I am enjoying driving this Leaf way more than I thought I would.

RonDawg said:
Looking at Plugshare, with the CHAdeMO port you'll have no problem driving your Leaf all over the greater SLC area.

I had downloaded the PlugShare app and began studying it even before my Metro was sold. When I saw how many free charge stations there were in my area, it solidified my idea to buy an EV. The CHAdeMO port obviously adds flexibility to my charging, but I am afraid to use it due to the increased possibility of battery degradation. I intend to stick to L2 charging only.

Fun fact: in the two weeks I've been driving this Leaf, I have not yet needed to charge it at home. (It helps that we have one L2 charger at work I can use on occasion.) I did already buy a JuiceBox Pro 40, but I cannot use it until I get a 240v outlet installed in my garage. My car did come with the OEM L1 cable, but I haven't needed to use it yet.

The CHAdeMO port obviously adds flexibility to my charging, but I am afraid to use it due to the increased possibility of battery degradation. I intend to stick to L2 charging only.

If you use QC only when the pack is cool you don't have to worry about that. Say no more than 5 temp bars on the dash "gauge." Four bars if you want to be extra safe.

Sherpa said:
Fun fact: in the two weeks I've been driving this Leaf, I have not yet needed to charge it at home. (It helps that we have one L2 charger at work I can use on occasion.) I did already buy a JuiceBox Pro 40, but I cannot use it until I get a 240v outlet installed in my garage. My car did come with the OEM L1 cable, but I haven't needed to use it yet.

I'm in the same boat but it's been nearly 2 years and 12k miles. Plenty of free charging around town and free charging at work as well. I did buy an OpenEVSE that I'm planning to install at home so I can charge at night during the summer.

Sherpa said:
The CHAdeMO port obviously adds flexibility to my charging, but I am afraid to use it due to the increased possibility of battery degradation. I intend to stick to L2 charging only.
You will appreciate CHAdeMO in the winter, and then over-heating issues are not in play.

Regarding L2, avoid charging up to 100% in the heat and leaving the car to cook.

LeftieBiker said:

If you use QC only when the pack is cool you don't have to worry about that. Say no more than 5 temp bars on the dash "gauge." Four bars if you want to be extra safe.
Heh. I *finally* had the opportunity to use a CHAdeMO today as part of a beta testing for a new vendor. I did not note the starting temperature but the end reading on the "gauge" was 6 bars -- the first time this year.

I'm delighted to have CHAdeMO for our LEAF if needed but I will not make a habit of it regardless of cost.

Sherpa said:

In addition to what Leftie posted, one thing you can do is stop charging early if you don't need all the range. For example, if you are near empty but only need 1/2 battery to get home, just charge to 1/2 battery. QC stations tend to charge by the kWH as opposed to by the full hour or 1/2 hour that some public L2 stations do, so you're also saving money.

You should plug it in to a suitable outlet just to make sure it works. You never know when you might need it. (Same with the CHADeMO port.)

Also consider using that to charge at work if your boss will allow. That frees up the sole L2 for someone else to use, and if you will be at work all day you'll still get about 40 miles' worth of charge at L1.

Back