Stoaty
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871

Re: TSLA corporate outlook

Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:08 am

WetEV wrote:
Stoaty wrote:My 2013 model S 85 kwh does not have any issues with the screen.

Keep it cool.

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/27989/tes ... de-matters

Thanks for the link. Interesting read. I do keep the interior fairly cool.
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

GRA

Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:24 pm

Stoaty wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:Increasing the pack size after long delays with the same air cooled pack is not a significant improvement it's a stop-gap. That significant improvement did not make for a significant increase in sales. Is the Nissan pack automotive grade? Yes Tesla uses automotive grade parts. I don't have a screen issue or know anyone that does.

My 2013 model S 85 kwh does not have any issues with the screen. Before purchasing I asked what repairs had been done during the first 65,000 miles. There were a few issues with door handles that got fixed, but nothing about the screen or MCU. I still have 2 more years warranty on the battery and drive unit. While I could have some expensive repairs down the road, I saved about $10,000 over the typical price for most used Teslas so I will probably still be ahead. It isn't just that the model S is fun to drive (it is, of course). It has replaced virtually all of my driving, something the Leaf could never do.

The question isn't whether or not you personally have had issues, it's whether or not the screen has issues at a much higher rate than would be the case with automotive-grade parts, esp. in hot climates.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

EVDRIVER

Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:05 pm

GRA wrote:
Stoaty wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:Increasing the pack size after long delays with the same air cooled pack is not a significant improvement it's a stop-gap. That significant improvement did not make for a significant increase in sales. Is the Nissan pack automotive grade? Yes Tesla uses automotive grade parts. I don't have a screen issue or know anyone that does.

My 2013 model S 85 kwh does not have any issues with the screen. Before purchasing I asked what repairs had been done during the first 65,000 miles. There were a few issues with door handles that got fixed, but nothing about the screen or MCU. I still have 2 more years warranty on the battery and drive unit. While I could have some expensive repairs down the road, I saved about $10,000 over the typical price for most used Teslas so I will probably still be ahead. It isn't just that the model S is fun to drive (it is, of course). It has replaced virtually all of my driving, something the Leaf could never do.

The question isn't whether or not you personally have had issues, it's whether or not the screen has issues at a much higher rate than would be the case with automotive-grade parts, esp. in hot climates.

There are plenty of cars with automotive grade parts that are riddled with issues. There are issues with many cars, this is yet an other issue blown out of proportion because it is a Tesla. I have a 2 year old Tacoma that has had multiple recalls and failures on "automotoive grade parts" At least Tesla is breaking the mold.

GRA

Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:14 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:
GRA wrote:
Stoaty wrote:My 2013 model S 85 kwh does not have any issues with the screen. Before purchasing I asked what repairs had been done during the first 65,000 miles. There were a few issues with door handles that got fixed, but nothing about the screen or MCU. I still have 2 more years warranty on the battery and drive unit. While I could have some expensive repairs down the road, I saved about $10,000 over the typical price for most used Teslas so I will probably still be ahead. It isn't just that the model S is fun to drive (it is, of course). It has replaced virtually all of my driving, something the Leaf could never do.

There are plenty of cars with automotive grade parts that are riddled with issues. There are issues with many cars, this is yet an other issue blown out of proportion because it is a Tesla. I have a 2 year old Tacoma that has had multiple recalls and failures on "automotoive grade parts" At least Tesla is breaking the mold.

Sure, you can have issues with automotive grade parts, and just plain lousy cars FTM, but which is more likely to work properly, parts which have had to pass tests to survive the real-world environment they'll experience, or those which haven't?.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

EVDRIVER

Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:24 pm

GRA wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:
GRA wrote:The question isn't whether or not you personally have had issues, it's whether or not the screen has issues at a much higher rate than would be the case with automotive-grade parts, esp. in hot climates.

Sure, you can have issues with automotive grade parts, and just plain lousy cars FTM, but which is more likely to work properly, parts which have had to pass tests to survive the real-world environment they'll experience, or those which haven't?.

Try to see the big picture, Also, get an EV it will give you perspective.

GRA

Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:41 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:
GRA wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:

Try to see the big picture, Also, get an EV it will give you perspective.

I am seeing the big picture, and that picture is that BEVs aren't currently viable (except at the luxury end of the scale) for mass market customers unless they're bribed or forced to buy them, and anything that contributes to lower value (actual or perceived) just extends the period when that's true even further out.

What perspective would I gain currently from owning a BEV, other than confirming what I already know from reading spec sheets and test reports as well as test driving them myself, which is that they (and their infrastructure) can't meet my needs yet? All owning one would tell me is that I was an idiot to waste tens of thousands buying an unsatisfactory product. I am willing to rent one on Turo as an experiment to see just how well or (almost certainly) ill one handles one of my more typical road trips, just as soon as the necessary QCs open along that route, but I 'm not expecting any great revelations as far as the car's ability to fully meet my transportation needs - I know it won't. That's just the current state of the art.

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:07 pm

The yellow border problem seems to be an issue with some form of glue under the glass. It is not dependent upon heat in the car (that is not correct reporting). My S developed the problem in the middle of it's first winter (and the screen was replaced under warranty). It also doesn't seem to affect older cars; IIRC it started showing up on cars made around 2016.
LEAF '13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18) 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%
Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Tesla X 100D (12/18)
75K 100% BEV miles since '14
ICE free since '18

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:53 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:Try to see the big picture, Also, get an EV it will give you perspective.

I do. I have one.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

EVDRIVER

Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:18 pm

I stand corrected. I was confusing you with someone else that will never own one. My apologies.

GRA

Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:34 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:I stand corrected. I was confusing you with someone else that will never own one. My apologies.

Who would that be? Can't be me - I won't own one until it meets my needs, and then I will. Do you own one even though it doesn't meet your needs?

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”