Nissan Leaf question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anishelda

Ok im posting here because I want the perspective of people who arent necessarily pro electric cars.

My 05 Mazda 6 has been non stop trouble for the last 4 years, I bought it in 08. I do 22k a year and don't record petrol spends. By on line mpg estimates, my tax, insurance and nct I spend not far off 4k a year on it. This excludes maintenance problems which apparently for the mazda 6 ive been horrendously unlucky with. Apparently their very reliable but everything that could go wrong has gone wrong, perhaps a Friday evening car. On top of that parts for the Mazda 6 are ridiculously expensive.

I failed the NCT on the handbrake (same happened a few years ago and took 800 to remedy) and massively on emissions. On top of that the gears are slipping while driving so I reckon its not worth fixing up at this stage.

Been saving for a house for a very long time so the Leafs 21k price tag after scrappage and grants will still leave me just under the 70% Loan to Value for a mortgage when we find the right house. Anyone know whether banks prefer a bigger savings amount vs a car loan.

So Ive been googling, emailing etc all week and employers have agreed to allow me a charge point at work (landlord said will let me know but more then likely no issue, have to confirm in morning as 4k scrappage ends tomorrow). Employer gets it paid for but need to pay for any electricity I use charging and hold a electric car promotion day.

Buying a leaf gets me a new car with running costs less then 1k a year though 21k is way more then id like to be paying. Other top option being a 2010 estate with 80k on the clock for 10k including 1k trade in and my estimated costs of 2300 a year. So I would be able to charge at home and work so I wont ever be arriving home with nothing left over. My wife has a 03 golf but I think the savings would mean the odd time (probably every 2nd year) we wanted to drive long distance without worrying about charge etc id be happy to actually rent a car.

Im well aware of the 140k range and battery degradation issues. I have no interest in a car being fancy or new and reckon in 8 or 9 years id probably be happy to spend 6k on a replacement battery rather then a new car. Expectations are if you treat the battery right it'll have 80% capacity in 10 years.

Given the lack of expendables a new battery should pretty much equal the feel of a new car. Given Im fairly certain to work in the same place which is 60k from home, can charge there and at home, will have a non electric car always available is this a no brainer?

For anyone interested I test drove it for 24 hours and its a fine drive. Takes bends like nothing ive experienced as its weight can be distributed better then a traditional car, not as quick to accelerate at speed then a mazda 6 but v quick from a standstill though to be fair and im sure its the same for automatics it feels a little boring to drive as you have so less to do.
When driving it you are more aware of fuel efficiency then in a normal car so I think id turn into a safer driver too which isnt a bad thing with a toddler getting ready to point out every time I might go over the speed limit.

Ok im posting here because I want the perspective of people who arent necessarily pro electric cars.

That makes little sense, as this is a Leaf forum. I'm also not clear on what you want: to be argued against? The main argument against, assuming you have modest range needs, is the possible lack of guaranteed charging both at work and at home. Nail those down - or at least home charging - and you should be fine with a Leaf. If you live in a cool or cold climate, make sure you get one with the Cold Weather Package, preferably an SV, for the heat pump. If you get an S, even with the Winter package, your Winter range may be as little as half the Summer range, again depending on climate. Is that London England, or another London? If the former, then the climate is mild enough for an S, but the heatpump in the SV (with cold Weather Package) would still benefit you.

Google says NCT is Ireland. There is a Londonderry in Northern Ireland, but that wouldn't have an NCT.

Something doesn't parse.

Check out his IP address??

https://www.ip2location.com/demo

Back