Charging at top of hill?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
webeleafowners said:
SageBrush said:
webeleafowners said:
How does the car know the EVSE capability/output.
They chat. That is a large part of what an EVSE is all about.

So does one have to be plugged in to set the timer?
Last I heard, if an end timer is set when the car gets plugged in (and the car's not prohibited from beginning to charge by a start time), the car determines the EVSE's voltage and power by beginning to charge. Knowing the power available, if the car determines that it doesn't have to start charging yet, it immediately stops charging and waits until a time calculated from that power. It presumes that when it later does start charging, the same power will be available, which is a reasonable assumption given that it will have been continuously plugged in while waiting.

TheLostPetrol said:
webeleafowners said:
SageBrush said:

Last I heard, if an end timer is set when the car gets plugged in (and the car's not prohibited from beginning to charge by a start time), the car determines the EVSE's voltage and power by beginning to charge. Knowing the power available, if the car determines that it doesn't have to start charging yet, it immediately stops charging and waits until a time calculated from that power. It presumes that when it later does start charging, the same power will be available, which is a reasonable assumption given that it will have been continuously plugged in while waiting.
It is an elegant solution for people who start their car use days at about the same time

TheLostPetrol said:
webeleafowners said:
SageBrush said:

Great explanation. Thanks.

Back