Near Turtle to cells balanced: 20.8 kW with 2015 Leaf with 24 kW battery: Low kW? As expected? Battery losing capacity?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BuckMkII said:
... semi-related ... If I leave LeafSpy connected during charging (which I've never tried doing), will it measure the actual energy added to the battery, or is it always just estimating kWh from some other parameter?
Good question!
However, your semi-related question ... as yet not answered ... might have a better chance of being answered ...
  • As a new thread that will have Topics visibility?
  • Or to the Vendor directly?
  • Or a MyNissanLeaf sub-forum that has a higher concentration of LeapSpy threads?

booper said:
finman100 said:
seems about right. My 2014 SV with 43,000 miles is down a bar and I regularly get 18.5 kWh from empty to full and balanced.
empty is when there are dashes on the dash GOM (1 kWh left in the "tank" per Leafspy).

full is 100% charge and Leafspy showing 18.5 kWh.

Hopefully that helps.
I was just wondering about this myself. Looks like the most I've I've gotten into my 2015 SV from a ChargePoint station was 21.155kWh, but that was about a year ago. I'm pretty sure I was well past VLBW for that charge, but I've never taken it to Turtle. Still have all 12 bars.

That is about the same as my 2015 Leaf from both charger and Spy. I never worry about trying to balance the cells, that is the BMS job. I don't think there is anything wrong with the OP car, though I did not read every single post in this thread.

pipestem said:
I never worry about trying to balance the cells, that is the BMS job.
Agree.
However, about once a month or so, I am intentional about letting the Leaf get fully charged and then an hour or so of cell balancing 100% to 98% to 100% to 98% to 100%.

We are a nice walk away from an under-utilized-in-the-morning free ChargePoint station, with long, steep hills to get our heart-rate up. It's a good two-fer to get in a healthy walk, and the ChargePoint app to get to about 90% when getting back to the Leaf and driving away.

Just checked: we've used the local ChargePoint network of 3 free chargers 171 times, for 1073 kWh so far. At 10.5¢ for each additional kW from our local utility, I figure that's saved us about $110, less the $5 ChargePoint card.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the OP car
Agree that the battery seems fine. I appreciate the input from more experienced Leaf owners, and I learned quite a bit.
Still at 12-bars with 31k+ total miles.

Hello. I just registered in the forum because three days ago I got myself a used Leaf, 2013 model, 12-bars, 32k km on the odometer.
This is one of the less-than-ten Leafs in Greece. Upon getting the vehicle from a private seller, I took it to Nissan for an all-around check, which resulted in an excellent score, battery-wise.

I already know lots about lithium batteries, since I’m well into solar and DIY battery building for home storage, mobile storage and e-bikes. Have been building my own batteries -complete with BMSs and stuff- for a couple of years, both from new or used cells.

Anyway, I did a 650km run in almost 12hrs to get the Leaf home. Upon starting the trip, I thought it would be a good idea if I could target on a mean consumption number. Unfortunately, it turned out that I could not rely on the calculated mean consumption, it seemed way off.

On one leg, mean consumption insisted on 9.2kWh/100km, but I took the battery down from 83% to 56% in 50km. If you do the math, this means that the usable capacity is only 17.04kWh.

On a rapid charging session (on CHAdeMO) I saw 9.605kWh getting into the car from 12% to 62%. This calculates to a usable capacity of 19.21kWh, but rapid charging definitely has lots of losses.

On the final leg, I was able to drive 143km from 100% to VLBW. I was going max 70km/h and had a +800m and then a -600m elevation change. That looks OK to me. Is it?

I then put the car to charge on 2.2kWh (which should not have too much loss), but did not have the chance to charge completely. Meter registered 9.23kWh until 60%. That adds up to 15.38kWh, not taking losses into account.

So, what’s the actually usable capacity? One thing is for sure: I definitely shouldn’t use 24kWh or even 21kWh for my estimates.

I will definitely be doing a turtle-to-balanced test soon and report back.

All charges are way too partial. Please discharge to turtle (when you see dashes then start driving around home in circles.
Turtle will arrive 2-4km after you lose last capacity bar.
Then charge to 100%. Keep battery temperature between 5 and 8 bars.
Read how much your meter registered. Charging efficiency at 2.2kw is around 86-89%.
At turtle you have 0.5kWh on the pack (0.3kWh is not accessible by user).

You can also look at capacity bars on the cluster. If you have less than 12 then vehicle has lost at least 15% of capacity.

Back