value of my 2014 S w/ QC pack, 11 bars, 54k miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawlins02

The 2014 S I bought from a dealer in Feb 2017 for $8300 just lost its first bar a few months ago, at 52,500 miles. I spent $0 in maintenance until last month when it needed tires. No body damage, and the interior is fairly clean. Has treated me very well. But living in MA, it's time to look into something with more range. My sister has a commute to work of about 25 miles roundtrip. She lives near northern MD where it's a bit warmer. We think she might do well with my car.

I was checking online and it looks my car likely has held its value well. I've seen prices for 2014 S of between $6500 and $8500. I'd like to give her a great deal on it. Thinking $6000 might be fair. I'll ask the dealer here what they'd give me in trade, and then consider selling it to her at lower than what the dealer would give me in trade. I understand there's a Nissan dealer(?) near Worcester MA that does appraisals.

Anyone have thoughts on a good plan to sell to sis and upgrade? I often do 50 mile one-way drives, but don't mind charging enroute. Think a 32 kWh car might do. That said, the Leaf Wiki page has the following statement with a reference that is giving me pause:

In March 2018, a statistical study compared reported battery decline in 30 kWh Leafs and 24 kWh Leafs, with 30 kWh models exhibiting the same battery capacity as 24 kWh cars within 3.5 years, albeit with probable accelerated battery decline in 30 kWh models.

If you filter the Nissan dealer locator by LEAF dealers, the following come up near "western Massachusetts" (I used Stockbridge, but maybe Worcester is closer to you):
- Country Nissan, Hadley, MA
- Destination Nissan, Albany, NY
- County Line Nissan North, Torrington, CT

It sounds like you're comfortable with $6,000 so maybe you just go with that.

Well, first of all, you STOLE that car when you bought it, as Leaf resale values were very low a few years ago, and they are high today. Mostly, I think, is because of scarcity of used and new cars for sale.

You are asking what you should charge your sister? Well, you have driven 50K miles for practically nothing. I say, sell it to her for $3000. After all, in my mind, you don't charge family or friends full price for anything. Heck, you should almost GIVE it to her...

When I was looking at used 2015s in the late spring, carmax averaged about $9000-$11000, depending on the 2015 location, miles and trim.

But they also had a BIG selection at the time, now seems the opposite. The selection of used Leafs seems quite low right now.

I tried to sell my LEAF about half a year ago --
12 bars
pristine condition
Quick charging and rear view camera

No takers at $7,000

LEAF pricing is VERY dependent on locale. If you want to be fair then find out the car's value where your sister lives.

powersurge said:
Well, first of all, you STOLE that car when you bought it, as Leaf resale values were very low a few years ago, and they are high today. Mostly, I think, is because of scarcity of used and new cars for sale.

You are asking what you should charge your sister? Well, you have driven 50K miles for practically nothing. I say, sell it to her for $3000. After all, in my mind, you don't charge family or friends full price for anything. Heck, you should almost GIVE it to her...

I was looking for thoughts on the value of the car, not what I should or should not do. Honestly, I don't appreciate your tone, sir.

SageBrush said:
I tried to sell my LEAF about half a year ago --
12 bars
pristine condition
Quick charging and rear view camera

No takers at $7,000

LEAF pricing is VERY dependent on locale. If you want to be fair then find out the car's value where your sister lives.

This makes sense. She's close by, in northern DE. Will investigate further. Many thanks.

css28 said:
If you filter the Nissan dealer locator by LEAF dealers, the following come up near "western Massachusetts" (I used Stockbridge, but maybe Worcester is closer to you):
- Country Nissan, Hadley, MA
- Destination Nissan, Albany, NY
- County Line Nissan North, Torrington, CT

It sounds like you're comfortable with $6,000 so maybe you just go with that.

I bought it from Country Nissan, 5 miles from home. Going to see what they have to say. Sis will get a big discount, for sure.

Back